Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We have had Dish for several years, and when we had the 3400RL we had a King Dome with Dual LNB installed. I have the Dish Network VIP722 here at the stick house. It is a DUO2 receiver. That is it has two tuners and a distribution out. With one line coming in from the King Dome (patched apparently at the Dual LNB) and using the diplexer and splitter supplied by Dish when it was set up, I could watch two different programs, one on the BR tv, and one on the LR tv. I was able to record one channel and watch another. There is some cabling in the Monty that has been address, but it was very doable and easy. I never had a problem with the Dish Network service or reception, other than what is experienced in a house when you can't get the signal. (Think trees and thunderstorms).

I now have the portable Winegard Carryout Automatic antenna. It has two outputs, but I have never tried to utilize the second one for a second receiver. We, DW and I, watch basically the same programs, and if she wants to watch a Food Network program I just get on the computer. We traveled 81 days to the Left (West) Coast and had no problems. We just spent 10 weeks doing the Right Coast with no problems. Yes, some of the niceties of having the dual capabilities is missing but we can live with it.

And, since the VIP722 is a DVR, we record many programs before we travel and if we are in an area that does not have good satellite reception, we watch what we have pre-recorded. I just recently read on-line about the Dish external drive DVR. Also, Dish Slingbox, and Dish Remote Access.

Pick one. You will most likely have or not have as much difficulties with either one. Chose by package and features.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Directtv.... We do NOT call and ask for local channels every time we move out of our home spot beam.. When we winter in Florida for 6 months we call and say this.

We are now at our winter residence in Florida zip code xxxxx we would like the Orlando local channels. zip xxxxx. We do not mention the the word RV. As far as Directtv knows we have a residence in Ohio and a residence in Florida and we move between the two of them twice a year.
I do not think it reasonable to expect them to change service for us every time we move out of our local spot beam. For short out of spot beam trips we use the antenna for local channels.
They change our service address for that 6 months period. When we return to Ohio we do the same thing in reverse.

They will change the service address for a "Move" (look it up) travelling across the country in a Rv is not a "move' for that you will need the east/west feeds.
We move our residence every six months. We have a legal residence in Ohio and a legal residence in Florida. That is why they do it for us and others.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
We have had the Dish Network service for a little over a year now. We have had no bad issues whatsoever. Customer service was very helpful during setup time but we've not had the need to call for technical issues. We highly recommend them!
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #24
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem
And, since the VIP722 is a DVR, we record many programs before we travel and if we are in an area that does not have good satellite reception, we watch what we have pre-recorded. I just recently read on-line about the Dish external drive DVR. Also, Dish Slingbox, and Dish Remote Access.
Wayne,

We have had the External Hard Drive attached to our DVR for 2.5 years, work great. Just installed the Slingbox on the VIP-722 this month. We use our Droid Phone to connect and watch our TV back at the house. Works pretty well, and wife has already used it to keep Grand Kids happy while shopping.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #25
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John,
I'm interested in that set up. What is the cost of slingbox, and any monthly associated with it. PM me if you want.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm going to re-think my subscription package with Dish. I'm now a Hulu Plus member. I'm watching some great programs here at the house. I'll have to see how it does on bandwidth when I'm on the road.

I can't believe how many tv series I have missed. I'm getting caught up.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #27
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

John,
I'm interested in that set up. What is the cost of slingbox, and any monthly associated with it. PM me if you want.
Wayne,

Since you have a Disk VIP-722, you can get a Sling Adapter for $99 plus shipping ($107 total if I remember). Will plug into your USB Port on the back of the VIP-722. The VIP-722 will need to be connected to the Internet for this all to work. Check out the following url:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywh.../customer.aspx

There is no setup or monthly charge for the VIP-722 or VIP-722K to use the above sling adapter.

If you upgrade to VIP-922 which has Sling built in (I think the upgrade cost is $200), but the DVR Fee is 4$ a month more.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #28
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thank you.