Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Tybee Island, GA.

Today we arrived on Tybee Island just a short way from Savannah. We will be eating lunch with The Lady & Sons while we are here and we will also eat at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House. For those of you not familiar with these places, the Lady is Paula Deen from the Food Network and I just have to have some of her budda.(butter) Y'all. The Sons also are on the network. Uncle Bubba is her Uncle or would be Uncle, I'm not sure but I do know that the place is packed as early as 11:00am. If anyone else is in the area we sure would love to have you join us for Thanksgiving Dinner. I just don't know how to cook for two.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
Good job Helen, you've made Mary green around the gills with envy.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
This is an area both my wife and I want to visit. I have a very good friend that lives in that area and Paula is one of my wife's favorites.
Paula needs to lay off the sampling though...she's putting on a few...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Helen, I know you and Bil will enjoy all the good food that's available around Savannah. We used to really like Tassey's Pier on the Intercoastal Waterway in Thunderbolt, but that was a long time ago. Not sure it's still there. We are looking forward to seeing you guys when you get down to Fernandina.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:25 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
How late in the year are the campgrounds open down there? Is it far enough south to be open year round?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Ahh...I looked it up...open year round, but not many campgrounds. Might have to check the Savanna area.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rivers Edge is the only CG on Tybee Island and it is open year round. There are other parks in the Savannah area. Most or all should be open year round. The winter is very mild in that area. We were at Tybee Jan/Feb of 2005.

Bill and Helen, The Breakfast Club for breakfast. It's on Tybee. You may run into Sandra Bullock there if she happens to be staying in her home on Tybee. I emailed you where to find her home. Quarter Bar and Grill for an excellent burger. Crab Shack. Tybee Lighthouse. The museum across from the lighthouse at what used to be Ft. Screven. Also Ft. Pulaski. Walk around the outside and you'll see pockmarks from shells and even a few shells sticking out from the battles.

Winslow Plantation for the lane where the young lady yelled "Run, Forrest, Run" in Forrest Gump. Also the walking tours of the downtown area and squares in Savannah. The Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil sites including one in a cemtery where they met at midnight with the seer. Ghost tour at night. Bus or horsecart tours during the day. And just drive around town. We loved the area so much we are going back for another two months.

For those wanting to be right in Savannah, the campground at Skidaway Island State Park is very nice. They have some great walking nature trails in that park, too.

The Lady and Sons in downtown Savannah, is superb. We will go back there, also. I'm sure you will enjoy the food and the experience.

Stroll around the riverfront area. Good restaurants in that area, too. Note the cobblestone streets were built from the ballast carried in the ships when not loaded with cargo back in the days of the sailing ships.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
That sounds like a really nice area to visit...thanks for the mini tour sreigle. If you're going back for a couple months, that speaks volumes and sounds like a worthy trip to me. This one is on my list of places to see when we get down that way.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Steve. We stayed here about three years ago and liked it so much we made sure it was on our stop again. We have done most of the things you suggested except for all of the things on the Island. We jusy weren't here long enough the last time. Today was an awesome day and I will be putting stories and pictures on our blog daily. We just came back from the beach where we watched the dolphins playing in the sunset.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Leave some shells for me, Helen!

By the by ... tiny error in Steve's post ... it's "Wormsloe" Plantation, not "Winslow."
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I just have to share with you what we found out today. All this talk about the big shots coming in and buying everything up. Well that is what happened at the Rivers End Campground here on Tybee Island. Thankfully the city heard about it and bought the campground from the owners first. The City now owns the campground and are doing everything in their power to make a go of it. We were encouraged to talk to Woody the manager and give him any input possible. The town is hell bent on keeping the campground here and everywhere we go they thank us for staying at "their park." I sure hope it works out for them. It would be a shame to loose this one but I can see where it would bring in millions as a development area like all the areas around us.

Steve, this has not been our day. There is one barber on the island and when we went there they are closed on Monday so we went to find breakfast at the Breakfast Club. That one is closed for the entire Thanksgiving week because of a wedding. We decided to skip breakfast and instead went to the Bonaventure Cemetery from the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The Cemetery was the ..... How can you describe a cemetery? Anyway it was great and we are so glad we went. I took tons of pictures. Of course when we got there, we found out the statue of the girl is now on display at an art museum. Oops, forgot to tell you that we stopped at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House on the way home for lunch. Oh boy, were the grilled oysters great.

Helen
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oops, bad timing, Helen! Since we have a reservation we got a letter explaining the ownership change. I'm sorry Walt, the previous owner, is gone. Also John, the wifi guy, and his wife, Pam, who worked in the office.

Ozzie, we spent two months there in Jan/Feb 2005, also. The Savannah area is beautiful. We made a number of day trips outside Savannah, also. I'm sure we'll do some more of them.

One weekend, I think it is Feb, the Wormsloe Plantation does a re-enactment of the Revolutionary War period. It is free. You wander around the plantation to the various displays. These are wooded areas so you have to walk the lanes. It was very interesting. We'll go again this next Feb. We have good friends joining us for February and look forward to taking them to this re-enactment. It's kinda cool walking down the "run, Forrest, run" lane.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Steve, are you guys staying the whole 2 months at Rivers End? We're hoping to stay there next winter (2007) for a month or two. Enjoyed seeing your photos from your last stay. Have a blast! Chris and Dave
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Chris and Dave, good to hear from you again! Yes, we'll be at Riversend from Jan 15 to Mar 15. That's this next January. We also spent two months there in Jan/Feb 2005. We're hoping the new ownership hasn't messed things up.

I think you're talking the following winter rather than the one we're coming into now. But if you're in the area, be sure to stop in or give us a call for another get together.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
Bill and Helen,

Enjoy...Cindy and I were on Tybee for a week last May when returning from FL. Savannah is one beautiful city.
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hey Brian, Haven't heard from you in a long long time. I heard the weather has been really nice in Minnesota so far. We had a ball at Tybee

Helen