Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
heater quit

Any one got any ideas on why my heater quit working in the middle of the nite....lites stay on -on the wall mount and remote will not respond, red botton won't make heater turn on.[no breakers tripped as far as I can tell].

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I had a problem with gas delivery to my heater in the fall. Apparently the heater will try to light 3 times. If it is not successfull it will trip a switch and the furnace and will no longer try to light. If you can get to your furnace feel for a switch on the top(thats were mine is) turn the switch off wait a few seconds then back on. IF this is the case it will get the furnace to try the lighting sequence again, but you will still probably have to find out why it wouldn't light the first time. I am sure you have already thought to check or switch the tanks but just a gentle reminder.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Did it switch tanks in the middle of the night? If it did switch to the tank away from the regulator, it could be that the flow restrictor (a safety device) in the pig tail had been activated by a sudden surge of gas when the tank valve was first opened. This happens sometimes, and is the reason that they now install a second intermedate pressure regulator at the far side tank.

You can usually correct this by closing the tank valve, disconnect the pigtail to relieve the pressure, re-connect, and then very slowly just crack open the tank valve so that there is no sudden surge of gas flow. After a few seconds, the pressure will equalize and you can open the tank fully.

Of course, since you have the remote thermostat, anything is possible. If you have not already done so, read the thread on the remote thermostat and start going through the hoops to get it replaced by a Comfort Control Center.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Check your battery voltage. The heater fan draws a low of DC current and with a week battery it may not run. If the fan does not work the heater will not lite.

Make sure you have propane. Try to light the stove to be sure. As said above your regulator may not have switched over.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had this very same problem last week. Had the furnace running then all of a sudden it quit, after some time of messing with a few things I realized I had forgot to open 2nd bottle of propane. When the regulator switched over it had no luck of getting more propane. Now I am going to just leave both bottles full and open all the time. I do not want to have to get up in the 30 degree nites and figure out why it is so darn cold.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I called the dealer and made an appt., I asked if he heard of this before and he said ya.... said it could be a problem with the circut board in my a/c.well what ever it is it will be covered by warrenty till june 6th ...my 1 year anniv.

I FEEL LIKE I AM AT "FIRESTONE" AND THEY SAY "YOUR BRAKES ARE WORN" but in reality you got 65% wear left....wonder how many people they get a day that way???
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote