Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Cell phone use while refueling

While refueling DW's car this AM I was concerned that a woman at the adjacent pump was talking on her cell phone while pumping gas and told her so. She just blew off my concern (crazy old geezer!) and went about her merry way.
When I got home, I decided to research and make sure I was correct (yeah, I know, open mouth 1st, THEN get the facts). Anyway, it turns out that the PEI (Petroleum Equipment Institute) has never documented a single incident that was caused by a cellular telephone. See
http://www.pei.org/PublicationsResou...cCampaign.aspx
I do feel, however, that being distracted by talking on the cell phone is an unnecessary risk and will not do it myself. Refueling is a task where you need to pay attention to what you are doing.
Thought I'd share what I found.

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am amazed at the number of people I see in busy traffic using their cell phones. I am talking about making one handed turns or holding it with their shoulder so their head can't move and negotiating lane changes and turning corners. It is obvious they are distracted when something comes into their vision and they slam on the brakes.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I simply take a deep breath. Next time look at the ground around those fuel pumps and count the cigarette butts!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I just saw an episode of the Mythbusters in which they tackle the myth of a cell phone causing a fire while fueling a car. Results were that they could not get the phone to activate a gas fire while fueling. Apparently static electricity is the main culprit in starting a fire at a fueling station. Anyway it was an interesting episode. Happy and safe travels ---- Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
jdydiesel

M.O.C. #11576
I work in a chemical plant. As far as cell phone use in a solvent enriched environment in which the LEL (lower explosive limit) is achieved, cell phones do not put out enough of an electrical discharge to start to cause an ignition. The bigger issue is as previously explained a static discharge. The distracted issue is a personnel problem. I know some people can talk, walk, wrench, eat and type all at the same time. Me on the other hand, I can't talk and walk at the same time. So people need to stop judging others. If something happens then one should just have to pay the consiquenses. I am a true believer in being heald responsible for your actions and stop punishing all other. Sorry for my little rant.
jdydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I was pumping fuel a few years ago and a lady pulled up and hopped out of her car while talking on her cell phone and proceeded to pump gas. The station attendant came over the speakers and told her to get off the phone while pumping gas. The customer refused. The station attendant cut ALL of the pumps off until the customer complied.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

I just saw an episode of the Mythbusters in which they tackle the myth of a cell phone causing a fire while fueling a car. Results were that they could not get the phone to activate a gas fire while fueling. Apparently static electricity is the main culprit in starting a fire at a fueling station. Anyway it was an interesting episode. Happy and safe travels ---- Dennis.
Me too Dennis, these guys do a pretty good job with it also.
Good post CORattler
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote