Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Hamming it Up & RC Toys for Big Girls & Boys
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
Possible MOC net or is there one already?

CQ to all:

is there an existing MOC net or could we set one up?

I have my 80m off center fed dipole up about 60 ft here in the New Hampshire pines on a seasonal site and work mostly digital modes, rtty, psk, etc on 20m & 30m. We will be at www.saddlebackcampground.com until mid October.

Would be great to get talk to some of you on the air!

73 and hope to see you in my log,
WA0SKN -- Alan

kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Alan,
.-. .-. !! Good idea. You think 80 would be the best for a country wide group like the MOC? I'd think maybe 40. Or do like the RV net and the NoonTime net and run them both. I've got to get back on the air! Thanks for stirring things up.
73 de KA6TZP, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
hey Dennis,

just on 20m with the RTTY contest. Don't know if 80m would go long enough at night up here in New England. 40m might be a little better. Just worked some "6's" a bit ago on 20m. Surprised its been staying open this late.

you can see my log on http://www.qrz.com/db/wa0skn

I'm usually on the digital modes most evenings up here.

73, Alan wa0skn
Old 06-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Alan,
Yeah 80 would probably not be good for nation wide coverage. 40 is probably the best for night. I worked all states using 40 and it was all night time contacts.

Sounds like you are still pretty active. I've sort of drifted away from the hobby since I lost several very close Ham buddies a couple of years ago. I need to get back into it. Maybe something like a MOC Net would get me going again. Good luck with the RTTY contest. 73 de Dennis
Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
Actually I turned the thinking cap back on (imagine that!)

Another way for nation wide network, could be to use Echo Link via an internet hookup.

I am a co-sysop here on our K1DED UHF repeater in Hooksett, NH and we run an Echo Link node on this repeater that is up 24/7. If you use Echo Link, do a search on the K1DED node. We have lots of stations check in at different times and usually have a gab-fest about 9pm every night.

Alan - WA0SKN
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Alan,
Thanks for info. I have not used Echo Link. I know a number of the local hams do use it. I guess it is time I got with the program and start getting back into an active status with ham stuff!

Sounds like you are pretty heavily into the digital end of the hobby. I did some PSK 31 stuff for awhile and really enjoyed it. I need to get back into things.

I'm a bit surprised we haven't had a few more of the many hams here on MOC participate in this discussion. But thanks again for the additional info. 73, de Dennis, KA6TZP
Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kampk

Actually I turned the thinking cap back on (imagine that!)

Another way for nation wide network, could be to use Echo Link via an internet hookup.

I am a co-sysop here on our K1DED UHF repeater in Hooksett, NH and we run an Echo Link node on this repeater that is up 24/7. If you use Echo Link, do a search on the K1DED node. We have lots of stations check in at different times and usually have a gab-fest about 9pm every night.

Alan - WA0SKN
I agree with ECHO LINK and feel that is the only way to get many MOC hams on at one time. Propagation is too iffy as demonstrated by ECARS and other nest that are divided by sections.
I suggest it be run as a controlled net with one station as net control directing discussion and asking for additional stations.
Just my opinion.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #8
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
I am a new licenced operater(ink on licence isn't dry), but the idea of having a Montana Net sure seems like a good idea. Echo Link sounds like a solid way to set up a net for us travlers.

KK4CRL
randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
USING ECHO LINK, I will try being Net Control tonight at 9 pm EDT or 01:00 Z. My call is KO4A. I have activated conference and will allow 5 stations to conference. Since I am on air card internet it my be a little shaky we will see. Please reply if you are going to try and make it.
EDIT - ECHO LINK not working on my computer so I did not make it tonight.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
I am now approved on Echo Link and going to give it a try tonight July 10 at 9 Pm. IF this camp ground wifi works ok and i can master this i am going to try and hit the K1DED Link.

73 Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote