Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
TV maintenance and some performance helpers

Ok guys here goes (checkbook is now open),
I'm putting maintenance into the TV as it needs a little looking after. Once mechanical is done then we'll go into body shop work as the running boards probably helped the salt and road grim stay in contact with the fenders a little to long (body rot).

OK here’s the maintenance list with a few “toys” added at the end:

1. Check 7.3 inside and out make sure it’s worthy of $ spent. –
(So far approx $800. mechanical basically done total truck not just 7.3)

2. check and fix ride rite air compressor – need new tank
3. send to body shop fix front fender body rot (salt and road grim from running boards)
4. put on new “nerf bars” (to replace boards, otherwise to high for DW)
5. now new toys under hood
6. programmer (told this will give me better mileage and 100 plus more hp)
7. new 4” exhaust
8. new air box k&n or similar
9. new 5th wheel hitch either trailersaver or air safe technology (this is the biggest expense)

I should have this done in the next 2 to 3 weeks mechanical wise. Running new tank lines for compressor and tying it into the hitch,(fill and dump from inside cab).

When done TV is supposed to give better performance and fuel mileage. We’ll see.
Chuck
Now open for comments and suggestions as this project is just beginning but TV is “sound” (only 130k) so moving forward.

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you are going to add the electronics I also recommend the EGT and boost gage. The EGT is critical to know how hot the turbo is getting and the boost is good for monitoring functionality. If your boost drops you will know it in engine performance but the gage will tell you why. If you have automatic then I also suggest the tranny temp gage. My upgrade included a larger waste gate raised boost pressure by 10 pounds.
I might notice my better mileage if I would stay off the "GO" peddle showing off.
Good luck and safe towing.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
John, I agree gauges are coming. I have not considered the temp gauge for trans. I've just never noticed one, until reading here I'd never thought about it. Good suggestion I'll check some out. Now where to put this gauge? Maybe I can get pillar gauges and have it there. Do you know how many gauges are available for the pillar arrangement? Have to start looking. I already have 2 (for each ride rite bag) and will be adding a 3rd gauge under the dash for the air ride hitch.
Thanks
Chuck
Old 02-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Try Dieselstop.com for all the info on Powerstroke power mods you can stand. The 7.3 is a great motor. In 2001 they changed the connecting rods from forged to powdered metal. The PM rods can't handle extreme engine mods.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Yes that's why I'm happy with the 7.3. "Salesman" kept trying to show the benifits of 6.0 etc. I'm happy I've stuck with the 7.3 as the mods are "tested" and seem almost unlimited. Now I just wish my checkbook was "unlimited" ah, but then I have the luxury of "waiting" at least that's what I tell myself.
Chuck
Old 02-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
This will stir up some but stay away from K-N air system. Gas they are fine but diesel they will not be the best thing. Ford only recommends that you use the one which includes a new air box and a Donaldson filter. It is sold by Ford and called Donaldson Severe Duty System. If you chip the motor for towing don't go 60 hp. 100 will damage the motor. 4" exhaust is for sure and the gages,yes. The K-N filters will collapse when the turbo starts boosting up to 20+ psi.There has been postings about K-N and Duramax also. Do what you want but this is my HMO.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote