Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #21
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Out here it's just a part of my job. Just relocated a black tailed rattlesnake from the front porch of our transient sleeping quarters this morning.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #22
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

"The researchers estimate that 421,000 envenomings and 20,000 deaths occur worldwide from snakebite each year, but warn that these figures may be as high as 1,841,000 envenomings and 94,000 deaths, especially in areas of sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia where antivenoms are hard to obtain."

Just doing my part to even out the equation. After all, I could be saving you from being part of that statistic. You can thank me later. BTW: I don't hate all snakes, only the ones who can do me harm.
Interesting you quote figures for worldwide deaths from bites from all snakes, however there are approximately 8000 bites in the US but only 5 to 12 deaths, so please don't fell the need to save me from being a statistic.

Besides snakes there are many critters that can do us harm if we encounter them and don't give them their space, should we kill all them as well.

Sorry but I won't be thanking you for killing any snakes or other animals that are not doing us harm just because they can harm us, so don't kill any on my behalf. I have encountered lots of rattlesnakes in my lifetime and have never felt threatened by a single one, so you are not saving or protecting me when you kill one.

We all have a different way of viewing the value of all animals, thankfully not everyone wants to kill everything that they feel threatened by. But that is only my opinion and worth no more than anyone else's opinion.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #23
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If I encounter a rattler in the wild I will give him his space and go my way. If he is up close to my house he's a goner. I'm not going to spend my life wondering where he is.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #24
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I totally agree, 8.1. A good rattler is a dead one around my house.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #25
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I lived in eastern New Mexico when I was a kid. The rattlers around that neck of the country we called " coontailed " rattlers because of the different colored band around the tail. Rattlers, copperheads, cotton mouths scare me and fascinate me. I try to avoid them and leave them alone.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #26
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I live in Eastern New Mexico, 2 miles from the Texas line, and the Coontails (Prairie Rattlers) are definitely not endangered. I have had one dog killed, and 6 others bitten by them over the last 22 years. The one that got killed (a German Shorthair Pointer)was bitten on the right foreleg, and was taken to the vet within an hour. Vet thought it must have been a big Diamondback (I killed a 6 footer beside the house several years before) because the fang marks were too far apart to be a Coontail. All of the other dogs were bitten on the face and never went to the vet, just fed Benadryl rolled up in slices of ham every few hours. They swelled up pretty bad, but all survived. I have come close to being bitten a few times but so far have avoided it. If I see rattlesnakes on my place, they die. If I see them in the wild, I usually let them be.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #27
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We go to a campground near our home. They averaged 18-30 adult snakes a year, that came down from the hillsides. The baby rattlesnakes were even more plentiful, seen by the dozens, (they are even more dangerous). Four years ago little boy picked up one in the showers. He received a bite to the face. Nearly died and remained in hospital two weeks. The owner took my advice ( actually my grandfathers advice ) shipped in a dozen king snakes. Placed in park, kept them fed and posted signs letting people know, not to hurt or bother them. Since then they have only had two sightings. Ben Gray my grandfather was born in 1880, died in 1971, he like many of his generation thought differently than we do today. Wonder what else he knew?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #28
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Are there very many poisonous critters in Canada? I know they are a hudge problem in the states.
Jay D
Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #29
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Out here in the West; everything wants to scratch,prick,sting,bite or hurt you in some way. In East Texas where I lived for 12 years; you had to keep king snakes and house cats around to ensure that the population was thinned out.
Would you kill or run off a wolf, grizzley bear, moose, mountain lion if it threatened your well being or livelyhood? I think sometimes you have to kill them so you and your family will be safe. I do not kill for fun other wise there it would be open season on idiots and politicians. LOL Now don't I sound like a radical.
Jay D.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #30
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Two things. I heard the Mounted Police in Canada bite! Jay. Death by bear or large cat is an honorable death! Death by ankle bite, well it's just not noble! IMHO. Lol. But for the record, if any if those big guys with exception of. "Moose and Squirrel" are put down if they get into populated areas. I disagree with Fish and Game, but they just seem to put them down, for being a risk of returning! Sad but true! Cougars are routinely put down !
Old 03-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #31
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

Are there very many poisonous critters in Canada? I know they are a hudge problem in the states.
Jay D
As far as I am aware there is only one venomous snake in Canada and that is the diamond back rattler. In certain areas they were hunted and killed to almost extinction with a resulting overrun of vermin. There was a significant education program developed and over years they have made a comeback but not to the numbers they once were.

There is a huge difference in killing an animal that threatens your livelihood or your family, pets or yourself by tracking you or otherwise actively seeking to harm you, than one that is simply encountered on the trail minding it's own business, as frightening as that might seem to us. Normally in those circumstances if you follow certain rules you will both be safe and able to go your own way.

Artemus does it really matter how you are killed, be it a bear, cougar or snake bite, you are just as dead. I suspect there was some humor intended in your comment, particularly about the Mounted Police biting, actually the don't bite when mounted because the horse kicks the crap out of stupid people, no need to bite.

Bears in Canada are routinely caught and moved to a new location, they will only be put down if they return to where they were originally caught or become a problem in the relocated area. Cougars are a different matter and are much more difficult to relocate so often they are put down. However a healthy cougar who has plenty of game in his/her established area will seldom become a problem. I see them rarely, but encounter their tracks when hiking with my dog quite often.

Artemus I Don't know how big the squirrels are in your neck of the woods but in Canada they seldom reach the size of our moose, I am thinking the ones you are talking about must be from Texas or on steroids.

If you are overrun with snakes or other critters that could harm you then you must take steps to protect yourself and family, if that means killing them then that is what has to happen. I have been talking about accidental encounters when out hiking when the animals are in their habitat and we are the intruders. Leave them alone and they will for sure leave you alone.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #32
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

Jay D
As far as I am aware there is only one venomous snake in Canada and that is the diamond back rattler. In certain areas they were hunted and killed to almost extinction with a resulting overrun of vermin. There was a significant education program developed and over years they have made a comeback but not to the numbers they once were.

There is a huge difference in killing an animal that threatens your livelihood or your family, pets or yourself by tracking you or otherwise actively seeking to harm you, than one that is simply encountered on the trail minding it's own business, as frightening as that might seem to us. Normally in those circumstances if you follow certain rules you will both be safe and able to go your own way.

Artemus does it really matter how you are killed, be it a bear, cougar or snake bite, you are just as dead. I suspect there was some humor intended in your comment, particularly about the Mounted Police biting, actually the don't bite when mounted because the horse kicks the crap out of stupid people, no need to bite.

Bears in Canada are routinely caught and moved to a new location, they will only be put down if they return to where they were originally caught or become a problem in the relocated area. Cougars are a different matter and are much more difficult to relocate so often they are put down. However a healthy cougar who has plenty of game in his/her established area will seldom become a problem. I see them rarely, but encounter their tracks when hiking with my dog quite often.

Artemus I Don't know how big the squirrels are in your neck of the woods but in Canada they seldom reach the size of our moose, I am thinking the ones you are talking about must be from Texas or on steroids.

If you are overrun with snakes or other critters that could harm you then you must take steps to protect yourself and family, if that means killing them then that is what has to happen. I have been talking about accidental encounters when out hiking when the animals are in their habitat and we are the intruders. Leave them alone and they will for sure leave you alone.

You made my day ! Thank you ! Lol
Old 03-29-2014, 03:49 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Diamondbacks are the primary rattler in Pa and they are good eating. We did have snake hunts in the NW PA mountains but they were collected alive...If possible... for their venom to produce the antidote and other medical uses. We never killed them for sport but they are killed for food and other commercial purposes.

We did the same thing In Oklahoma were they are plentiful and they were collected for the venom. BTW I personally never participated in the live hunts...No way. I have done in a snake or two or more in my day in what I considered justifiable elimination.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #34
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If anyone is still hanging around Yuma, particularly boon docking you do need to exercise extra caution. The folks who control the water currently have the river at the highest level it's been in anyone's memory and as a result everything, including the snakes are ending up places they normally don't go. Sunday the water should start back down, they are actually giving Mexico a flush, but the displaced critters will take some time to return home if ever.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #35
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

If anyone is still hanging around Yuma, particularly boon docking you do need to exercise extra caution. The folks who control the water currently have the river at the highest level it's been in anyone's memory and as a result everything, including the snakes are ending up places they normally don't go. Sunday the water should start back down, they are actually giving Mexico a flush, but the displaced critters will take some time to return home if ever.
Have you got the DQ ARK ready?
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #36
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Almost. Today I was pulling equipment out of a flooded area that we were told wouldn't flood. In theory the water wasn't going to be that deep. Only 2 feet off so far. Down at Meers point I watched minnows schooling on the asphalt parking lot this AM.