Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
Refrigerator won't cool

This unit is not in the recall, light comes on when you open the door, the check light is not on, will not cool on gas or electric. When the burner seems to be working because it is hot to touch. Any ideas other than trashing the Dometic and buying a better fridge.
Thanks

mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
mrosser,
if you open the exterior access to the cooling unit, do you smell any signs of ammonia? If you do, then your cooling unit has a leak and there is no fix to this but to replace your refer. If there is no sign of a "leak" in your cooling unit I would then check for any restriction to air flow. If birds have built a nest in the vent or mud daubbers have built a nest inside the refer cavity, blocking air flow, then the refer may not cool at all. About the only other posibility that will prevent both the gas and electric to cool is being unlevel.

Lets hope it is not the cooling unit!!!

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
mrosser,

if you are interested in a do-it-yourself service manual for your Dometic Refer you can download one from the following Dometic web site:

http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/dometic_manuals.htm

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
Thanks Eaglerunner, all seems to be in order, i'm going to look at the service manual you gave me. If all else fai.ls I will call my dealer in the morning Thanks again
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
How old is it. There is a 3 year warranty on it and if yours is less then the time go to a dealer. The third year you pay labor but they cover the parts.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
Well fridge is now cooling, after new refrigerator was installed & many $$$$$. Dealer was not talking very highly of the Dometic recall, saying they were not fixing the problem of the weak weld in the cooling unit, just installing a shield over the burner to keep the coolant from catching fire when it leaked out. Just repeating what I was told.

Anyway we went with the Norcold 841, like it a lot so far. Even though they say they are the same cubic feet this unit seems alot bigger. Wife says it will hold alot more. Just hope it last longer than 4 1/2 years the Dometic lasted.