Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Bradln
Established Member

M.O.C. #5783
Rubber Seal coming out by the roof

We were coming across Nebraska on I-80, when I looked in the review mirror to see something whipping behind the camper. When I pulled off the side of the road and jumped out, I saw it was the rubber seal that covers the joint between the roof and the side walls. I had to quickly climb on top of the 5er and pull the 30' of loose seal being whipped around by the traffic of the trucks and cars. It was quite a sight seeing this camper pulled off with this guy laying out on top of it hanging on with every part of his body. I mean EVERY part of it. Laying over the edge just feet from oncoming traffic I was able to press it into place again and be on my way. I happened again about 150 miles down the road. Lucky I was experiance at it this time. When we pulled over for the night I got the handy man secret weapon out, duct tape, and taped the ends down. It has been find the rest of the trip.
Has any one else had this problem? If so do I need to replace the whole seal? Or is there a special way to finish the ends so that they don't catch the wind? Any help or suggestions would be nice.

Bradln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm wondering if you're talking about the grommet strip that fits over the connections where the screws are? I've had that come out and had to put it back in. Solved the problem of it coming loose after two times by stretching the end down as far as it will go and putting a self-tapping screw threw it to hold it in place. Also, if this is the problem, you can put a dab of clear silastic sealant in several places under the grommet (I don't know what it's called) and pushing it down where it will sit up and keep the grommet in place.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I did exactly what Orv did on our 2003. Ours would come out right at the arc on the forward trim. I got it home by using some white medical tape out of the first aid kit. Once home, I put screws through it at the arc on each side and didn't have the problem anymore.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Bradln
Established Member

M.O.C. #5783
Thanks Orv and Brad for these suggestions. It is strip where the screws are hidden under. I was up close and personal with them. It seems to start coming loose at the bend in the roof line. I'll try this advice and let you know if it solves it or not.
I need to say that while I was up on the roof, the DW was standing behind the camper trying to get the traffics attention. I don't know if traffic was watching her, but I was.
Bradln is offline   Reply With Quote