Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rodent invasion in 3400RL

While we had our late 2006 3400RL in for repairs at a dealer there was another 3400RL there, a 2007 model still under warranty. The owner was fit to be tied. He had a list of over 50 warranty items but he told me the worst was that a squirrel had penetrated the belly cover and had eaten some hydraulic lines and had gotten into the roof insulation as well and chewed several electrical wires. All the ceiling panels were going to have to be removed to get to the wiring to repair it. Keystone wouldn't repair this issue under warranty.

The owner sited that Montana literature describes a "fully enclosed" belly. It isn't, with large gaps around the front jacks as an example. He is going to sue Keystone to try to get some relief.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to cover these open areas with a rodent resistant mesh. Anyone else addressed this issue and what did you find successful?

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dean, you could just cut some heavy plastic and patch those places. (Cut up a square bucket) use sheet metal screws, or pop rivets.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I think I am missing something, why would someone think that Keystone would repair damage done by a squirrel, or mouse or other critter? How can they guarantee against Mother Nature and her brats??? As painful as this experience is for this poor Montana owner, well, they need to think about this some more. Anyone that has looked around a bit, would have to realize pretty fast that there are places of ingress and egress for Mother Nature's brats.

We wish them well with the fix, and hope that in the future they can really enjoy that unit, nothing makes us more sad and bummed out than when we have a sick unit.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I have "reduced" my open areas with a combination of chicken wire and the expanding foam sealant. The wire gives the foam something to grip on to and will help stop mice from chewing through the foam (if only used by itself)

Hope that helps.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow - if Keystone ends up loosing that battle, there are about 3,000 auto owners here in Denver ready to sue the auto manufacturers for leaving holes in the undercarriage and letting rabbits eat the wiring and brake lines while parked in long term parking at the airport!

I pretty much sealed off our 2003 from the environment, but I must have actually sealed them on the inside , because the evidence never stopped being produced.

This new 3400 has more holes that swiss cheese. In fact it probably looks like a big chunk of swiss cheese to all the cold little critters out there . We are trying the electric sonic method at this time, but won't know the results until next spring.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
we have used the sonic since our purchase and no little unwanted inhabitants have joined us. we have not covered the holes, but this discussion is adding something to the to-do list .
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
small world, our neighbors are van peursems .... gotta be dutch
Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rhonda,

Not many of us Van Peursems. Where are you located? Yes, very Dutch.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
Dean - we are located in NW Iowa, Orange City area. Home of "The Dutch" and Tulip Festival. yes, very dutch. my husband and I are "muts", some French, German, Dutch .... and discussions such as this are called "Dutch Bingo" in these parts
that's what makes this forum so fun
Old 09-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
There's nothing worse than being invaded by critters.
We store our Mountaineer at home next to our garage, next door lives three cats. The good news is - no critters in site. The bad news is - they stalk our bird feeders. I guess you can't have everything.

Good luck in pest proofing your rig.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rhonda,

Interesting. I'm originally from Maurice and my wife is originally from Sioux Center. Have lots of relatives in Sioux County. Which one of my relatives is your neighbor?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:17 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I always questioned the"heated underbelly" and the fact that it was full of holes.. Like insulating your house then leaving the windows open.The area around the springs can accept a very large critter.We did close ours off as best we could..we have not been bothered by critters.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
well, that is interesting. we live one mile north of Maurice, but i had thot you would NEVER know where that little burg was located, so i said we were from Orange City. Marian Van Peursem and his boys, Jon and Marc are neighbors. live on our mile ....
Old 09-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Ronda,

Hmm, Marion is my brother who used to live on the corner - 1 mile N of Maurice on Hwy 75. They now live in Orange City. Marc and Jon are sons of Russel Van Peursemn (1st cousin). I'm a little confused. :-)
Old 09-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
you are right, they are boys of Russ and Evileen (i think that is her name)... sorry for the confusion. We live just east of Marians old place near Maurice. we have not seen him lately and wondered about his health. we have seen his son-in-law working hard ont eh farm place this past summer, taking down the buildings and cleaning the place up.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #16
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Ronda, Ok now we are in sync. Yes, Marion (my brother) and Sadie moved to Orange City earlier this year and their son-in-law (Ray and Lori Van Gorp) now owns the acreage where the buildings are(were) and is farming (renting) the rest of the land. Marion is getting on in age and has been dealing with lung cancer for several years. Russell and Eveleen also live in Orange City. My Dad owned the 80 acres across the road from Marion's place to the South, now owned by Weirda's, which is probably directly West of you if you live on the old Smokey Smits place on the hill. Dutch Bingo! :-) It is a small world! :-)

We were supposed to attend a Van Peursem reunion in Maurice this past labor day weekend but were unable to make it due to my wife's recent knee replacement surgery. We will have to drop by and say hello the next time we get to the area. I will be flying over your head in March heading to Moline, IL for a John Deere collectors gathering (Antique Tractors) but probably won't be stopping in to NW IA this trip. We try to get back there every year to two years or so. Now that we winter 5 months in AZ (in our 3400RL) our long distance travel other times of the year has been curtailed a bit.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #17
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
We have seen Ray working on the place most of this summer. We wondered if Marian was still struggling with the cancer. Russell and Eveleen live next to good friends of ours in Orange City. Yes, Marty and Louie Wierda farm most of the land surrounding our acreage. We live on the old Smokey Smits place where the old house is, not the ranch style house Smoky and CAroline put up shortly before his death. We have since built a new home also on the place, just closer to the road. Smoky was my dad's uncle, so we spent a lot of time on the old place even before we bought it, some thing to do with chickens .... i think.
we hope your wife's knee replacement surgery is healing well. You mentioned she was from Sioux Center. My dad works as parts manager at the LeMars John Deere business, so we are die hard John Deere fans also. Enjoy your winter in AZ. The 3400RL seems to be a popular 5ver. We get away almost every wkend, starting in March and going into October ... retirement is a bit off yet, so for now vacations and long wkends work well. we do certainly enjoy our Mountaineer!