Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Big Sky shattered shower door recall

It's about time after all the shower doors that have shattered but Keystone is now out with a fix for the problem. I received a call from my dealer yesterday telling me that they will send me the parts as soon as they get them to make the modification (he is aware that I would rather do it myself than drag the rig 100 miles round trip).

I asked for a copy of the recall notice that Keystone sent him but he said "no", he would only send me a copy of the one that is going to the owner. By our conversation I got the impression that Keystone figures that the problem is the towel rack being used as a handle to open the door. I don't use it after reading about the problems in the past.

I will post more information as I receive it and some pictures if interested. He said I should have received a notice from Keystone but nothing in the mail yet. I assume that no one else has received it as I think this is the first posting about the modification.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Hi Dick,

Is that recall just for Big Sky or all of the Montanas? If just for Big Sky, how is your shower door differ from the other Montanas?

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Here is the link to the NHTSA recall about the shower doors. You can see a summary by clicking "get summary" (DUH!)

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

There is not a related recall on Montanas.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Hi Dick,

Thanks for the info. I was able to google information about the recall just by typing in Big Sky shower door recall. The summary says on certain fifth wheel trailers, when pressure is applied to the towel bar on the glass shower door, the edge of the bar may contact the glass..............consequence..... glass breakage may occur which could cause personal injury. The fix is "Owners will be provided with new mounting hardware for the towel bar and installation instructions. If an owner is not comfortable replacing the hardware themselves, a dealer will install the hardware at no cost to them.

Of course, we had just that thing happen ..............as you know John pulled the door open and it broke in a million pieces all over him cutting his hand. Another gentleman on the MOC had the same thing happen.

We have been wondering what they were going to do about our shower door. We came back from traveling this summer, the 3rd week of July, and immediately took our Big Sky to a dealer here in Phoenix.........and it is still sitting there. Everytime we stop by we are told they are waiting for parts. At this rate we may never be able to use it again. We had a list of 27 warranty items that needed fixing along with a new shower door.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote