Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe that the frame flex problem is really Lippert's problem. The only reason we seem to hear so much about the Keystone product is based on how many Keystone products are out there. If a company puts out 100 units and 10% have frame failures, that's only 10 units. If a company puts out 1000 units and 10% have frame failures, then that's 100 units that have failed. So the more units being built and sold there will necessarily be more total failures showing up. Sure, we don't like it. I'd like to see a failure free unit but we know that's not going to happen. Now, before anyone jumps on me please realize that this is only my opinion and is not backed by any data. The only thing it's backed by is an outstanding dealer who has an outstanding relationship with Keystone.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #22
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have an appointment with a Keystone dealer tomorrow who does not sell Montana, they handle Raptor which is a Keystone product. They told me the only reason they would take me in is because of their relationship with Keystone. They also said that Keystone is the only company they deal with that takes good care of them. Any how I am taking my Montana to them for them to take pictures of the frame failure and then I am taking it to their welding shop for there review of the problem. After this then all has to be sent back to Keystone for their review and they will tell the dealer how to proceed with the repair. I am keeping the panel that covers the underneath of the bedroom overhang and will re-install it myself just so I can see the repair is completed.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #23
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Doug,
Any update yet?
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #24
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Yes, here is the update. I took my Montana into the dealer, they took pictures and sent me to a welding shop for them to examine it for repairing it. Well they took a good look at it and asked if I could leave it for a hour, which I did, they welded it up on both sides while I was there. I have to say it is better now than when it left the factory. Now all I have to do is convince Keystone to reimburse me the cost of the repair. Even if they do not take care of me I do have the satisfaction knowing that all the welds are repaired and they added so many more that it will be impossible for this failure to happen again.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #25
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
At long last, some good news?!! Hope Keystone does good by you. Thanks for keeping us posted. Best wishes,
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

Yes, here is the update. I took my Montana into the dealer, they took pictures and sent me to a welding shop for them to examine it for repairing it. Well they took a good look at it and asked if I could leave it for a hour, which I did, they welded it up on both sides while I was there. I have to say it is better now than when it left the factory. Now all I have to do is convince Keystone to reimburse me the cost of the repair. Even if they do not take care of me I do have the satisfaction knowing that all the welds are repaired and they added so many more that it will be impossible for this failure to happen again.
Doug,
After having had ours repaired, it's hard for me to understand how they did and efficient and effective job of repairing your frame flex in just one hour's work. In our case, as in most, the front cap has to be removed and an 8' square piece of wood has to be pounded into the aluminum structure on both sides of the rig so that the screws have something to bite into. In addition, to get rid of the cracks in the fiberglass, they had to remove the fiberglass in front of the bedroom slide and weld the aluminum struts so that they become all one structure instead of each strut working on it's own. It's when these things shift that the fiberglass cracks at the corners of the bedroom slide. It's too bad that Keystone doesn't get the message on this.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:34 AM   #27
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Orv, when I took my Montana to Oregon they welded frame supports as per the instructions from Keystone, the only thing they did not do was re-weld the broken welds. So now the unit is repaired according to their instructions and if I have any other problems with this area I will be back on the phone with them regarding a more detailed repair. Thanks for all your information and I do hope that my repair will hold up as I plan to do some extensive traveling next summer.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
What was the reason that they for not re welding the broken welds. I would think that would be the thing to do. Repair the broken welds.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #29
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
hazmic, they did not give a reason for not re-welding the broken welds, they just told me that they would take care of it and to take it to a Keystone dealer. Now when I was in Pendelton, OR. last year to have the repairs done they did tell me that they re-welded the broken welds. We can see that they did not do that because the fractured metal had no weld on it at all.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #30
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I sure am glad that you had it taken care to your satisfaction Doug... I have no doubt that Keystone will step up to the plate and hit a home run with you...But why are you waiting so long to take your extensive trips?

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #31
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Helen, the answer to your question is Grandchildren. Six months ago we had a grandson and next month our son and daughter-in-law are having twins. So Grandma and Papa are sticking close to home for awhile.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #32
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
SAY NO MORE.. You lucky people.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #33
littlespud
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1696
Doug,
I have to agree with Orv, if you look at my pictures, you will see some of the supports, and welding that was done.
http://www.picturetrail.com/littlespud. They also (no Pictures yet) welded supports in the propane compartments, which tie the front support to the sides, and also the back support to the sides. They also put in the piece of wood Orv mentioned. This was all done with Keystone providing the information to the dealer, Keystone as I was told sent a kit that showed where to weld. I saw the bill from the welder; he had over 5 hours of welding on this coach, and for all he did, I would have guessed a lot longer. As you said hopefully you will be ok, and can always go back if needed. Good luck, see you guys in the spring.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 AM   #34
littlespud
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1696
Doug,
oops a period got in after the link, remove it, and it will work.

http://www.picturetrail.com/littlespud
Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #35
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Gary, thanks for the pictures. They welded the supports in the propane tank area when we were up in Pendleton. I am not sure about them placing any wood in but all the screws that hold the siding on were very tight. I do know I do not have the gussets and angle iron that shows in your pictures. If I have any more problems next year I will be back in contact with Keystone.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #36
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
OK, this doesn't sound good! Are the newer Montanas fixed or do we have this to look forward too.

Thanks
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #37
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Doug,

What was the first indication of a problem? Was it the visible crack in the outside wall?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #38
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Robbie, the first indication of the problem was the drivers side molding droping over a 1/4" when loaded on the truck and the bedroom slide slipping out of square.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #39
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Thanks, will watch out for those indicators!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #40
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I spoke to Keystone today and was told that they did have issues on prior years and that they have taken measures to cure that. Has anyone with a 2007 or later that have had any of these problems.
Bob
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote