Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
COPINMI
Established Member

M.O.C. #5945
Send a message via Yahoo to COPINMI
HELP !!!!!!! ELECTRICAL

NEED HELP- ELECTRICAL!!!!!!! Fifth wheel is one month out of warranty so I can figure out what Keystone is going to say, but here's the question. I have no 12 volt electical with shore poweror the TV hooked up. As long as the battery is fully charged and hooked up, I can operate the landing gear, lights and slides. when I turn off the battery, I have no 12 volt. With the TV hooked up, I have no 12 volt. I'm thinking converter, but does the lead from the TV go through the converter prior to going into the 12 volt system? I know it does coming from shore power. (I have 110 volt when shore power is connected) I'm going to call Keystone in the morning for whatever good it will do, but i'm hoping someone out here knows how the electrical system is configured. (I'm electrically inclined)

Next question, if anyone has a '06 344RET and can tell me where the converter is before I call Keystone, I'd appreciate it.

COPINMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
First you state when you turn off the battery you have no 12-volt supply, you want if you flip the 12 volt battery disconnect switch, that is what it is suppose to do. No landing gear etc when hooked to TV, first check all your fuses next to battery, then check you fuse in your TV to see if it's blown. The TV lead does not feed you converter it's a direct 12-volt supply to your landing gear, battery, and acts as a separate 12-volt source. I suspect you have blown fuse somewhere.
Your converter also has fuses on them, two 30 amp fuses. My also check your neutral ground wire coming from the converter to your panel my be loose, can cause same problems.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
COPINMI

The converter is in the basement on the curb side, behind the panel on your left side, that is where mine is.

Larry
Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also, if the TV is a Ford the engine must be running for it to supply 12v to the trailer. I think the other brands are the same in that respect but am not positive.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
COPINMI
Established Member

M.O.C. #5945
Send a message via Yahoo to COPINMI
Thanks Broome, got it. Blown fuse in the TV. Fixed that, Still nothing through the converter but I could get the slides in after I charged the battery. Cruzin, got to tell you our units might be the same model, but they were put together by two different people. I pulled the panel off in the basement and was able to access the toilet plumbing but no converter. Saw the wires coming from the area of the panel. Called the dealer who wasn't sure and they called Keystone. Not where they said it was. So out comes the panel and lo and behold, the converter is right there. Only access (up until now) is by taking out the panel. When the put the interior wall in the bathroom, it went all the way to the basement and they only cut holes in for the wires. The front and panels to the closets next to the entryway door, allowed enough depth for the panel and the converter. Now there is access through the basement to the converter. By the way, it was equipped with 2 - 35 amp blade fuses. Shopped 3 auto supply stores and 2 rv dealers and the concensus was they don't make 35 amp anymore. Called the converter manufacturer and they laughed and said 35 amp was a rare automotive fuse and I would need to replace with 30 amp. go figure.
COPINMI is offline   Reply With Quote