Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Night of the Javelinas

We recently stayed at the Fort Davis State campground and had new camping experience. Night of the Javelinas. Javelinas resemble a small wild hog, but are not a member of that family. We arrived and set up the camper and I had opened the front compartment to get the dogs long leads out and had a senior moment and left the door open. At around 1:30 AM there was a loud ruckus going on under the front of the RV. The Javelina around 5 of them had raided the compartment and found the dogs backup sack of food, which they pulled out of the RV and were deciding on who got what. I got up and with a broom and flashlight and making large carnivore sounds drove them off. I was concerned that they were chewing on the RV's electrical system which was in the compartment. I picked up the remaining dog food sack, locked the compartment and returned to bed. At 3:30 sensing that the coast was clear the raiding party returned and the party was on again. I decided that they could have what dog food was left on the ground. The next morning all was well and no damage was found. Moral to the story check your compartments!

Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
When I lived in Texas (14 years) we used to use javelina for making chili. Made some awful good chili with them critters..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
That is interesting, I've never heard of javelinas.

Good point, lock up those basement doors.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
A couple of years ago, we stayed in Prescott at The Point of Rocks CG (beautful campground) and there were Javelinas. They were pretty shy and we only saw them occaisionally.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote