Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Havasu to Tucson events.........

We rolled out of town, taking one or two last glances at the lake and the city, had a good time, and met super folks there.
Parker was still beautiful, the river winding around the different campgrounds, the vantage point from the highway was so pretty, looking down on the Blue Colorado river with the rocky, rugged terrain.
Traffic was about average, when we came to Quartzite, the town was still not crowded with people, there were a few businesses and eateries now open from the last month and a half, when we came through the other direction.
From Parker on, traffic gradually increased on the opposite side of the divided highway, toy haulers mostly, class A's pulling trailers and off road vehicles of every description.
When we came to Casa Grande all Hell broke loose, traffic going our way increased, traffic going the other way was almost bumper to bumper. Toy haulers by a landslide, many, many, of 3 axel variety, new and shiny, I bet 500 of all kinds of toy haulers, trucks with ATV's, class A's all headed to Quartzite, I imagine.
Traffic our direction, towards Tucson was passing us at breakneck speed, one after another. We were doing 65, on the cruise control, I bet they were doing 85 or more. I saw a cop ahead, off to the right with his lights on, I signaled and got over in the passing lane, passed him and was getting over to the right when a Red pickup truck came up on my right lane very quickly to pass me, I had to swerve back to the passing lane or he would have hit us. He had to be doing 100 MPH. The cop would have never caught him, didn't even try.
We were down the road 25 miles or so when we gradually closed on a new compact car doing around 55 or 60, I got around him, had to take it to around 70 for a minute, pulled back in the right lane with him well behind us. The compact floored it and passed us, pulled in front of us and slowed to 55 to 60. Damn! I told Sue we could try and pass him, but he would just speed up and lock us in the passing lane. He played his game for 5 miles or so, then he sped up and disappeared in the distance. He either got tired of playing with us, or it may have been my high beams, don't know which......
Pulled into Baudry swearing not to hit the road until traffic thinned out, or my memory of the high speed pinball got bad.
Sad news, the Chief at Baudry must have either violated his parole, or got busted back to dishwasher, because the Gumbo stinks now, all seafood overcooked and rubbery, came out cool. Sue's Chicken salad had one medium sized piece of semi cooked Chicken on top of a bowl of greens. All for only $17.95! Last meal at Baudry.
Well, we will head to Van Horn as soon as the snow in El Paso evaporates..Yep! snow in El Paso. Go figure. They do average 6" a year. Surprised me. We will be monitoring the weather channel.
Met new Monte owners here gave them the grand tour, he was cussing me as he walked away, something about costing him a fortune....
See yall on the road!!
Ozz and Sue

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Great report Ozz.

Don't you just hate those "Little Red P/U Truck" drivers and those idiots who do less than the posted speed limit then want to play tag.

I know it is VERY frustrating, but it sounds like you handled it very well.

As for the "Chief" in Baudry, I'm sure you'll find better place to eat. It is to bad good old memories can't keep up with the present.

Yep, be careful on those snow & ice covered roads. Sounds like you are doing the right thing again by monitoring the Weather channel.

Drive careful and have fun.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Don and Annie. I just checked the weather for our journey, looks good at this time. We will head out tomorrow for another great adventure. LOVE travel.
See ya!
Ozz
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ozz, you need to install the James Bond 007 hidden rocket launchers on your truck to take care of the "Highway Trash"!

Have a safe trip the rest of the way. BTW Lived in Tucson for five years, Hated it in summer. Is the Crazy Horse campground still there? The owners owned a FBO at the airport I used to fly from.

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ozz.. So did anything interesting occur on your trip to Tucson////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Phil, I'm not sure, we have stayed at Voyager and here at Baudry. There is a Crazy Horse at Havasu, Snfexpress is there now.
Funny, Rich. I think you were wise in not going to Quartzsite, ATV's, Motocross bikes, probably many with no mufflers, dusty, no close Chow...I pass.
Ozz