Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
GORILLA TAPE FAILED TEST

I remembered several months ago, RICHFAA mentioned GORILLA TAPE and that he was using it on the underbelly cover and Frame for those area's that had gape's. Well after a trip to the hardware store and a few MGD'S, I decided to try Rich's procedure. I found some cleaningl solvent and went over the edge of the underbelly cover and also scrubbed the top lip of the Frame. I spent an hour of so in between MGD'S and really felt pretty good about the improvement. That was two weeks ago. Attached are two picture's of the results.

This used tape will be consolation prize at BRANSON - see nothing goes to waste.
Safe Travels John

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Tape and outdoors just don't mix for the long haul.
How about trying some square tubing to reset that trim back to the frame to close it all up. Clamp it down real good with some c clamps and refasten it with some self tapping screws (try to use the existing frame holes).
A person would have to look around the slides to see if the tubing would get in the way, but I don't see many choices to get that to lay flat and tight. It's probably a warm weather project too (for flexibility).
Ummm...can you tell it's been on my mind?

I get so many ideas here I won't have time to work...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
I used Darko(sp?) tape that I purchased from my dealership. I also went around the frame and sealed up the space between the screws. That was done in spring of 2005. As of October all the tape is still holding strong. You could look into that the next time your at a dealership or Camping World.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Man, those self tappers have trouble finding the original hole. I needed professional mental health support after I stuck mine back on the bottom. Sue and I were scooting around on out backs with an awl lining up the screw holes. We Got-er-done, but it was NO cakewalk.
(Hard to beat the Gorilla tape, but it will not hold any tension of the flexing Black panels.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Gorilla tape is still holding fast. The repair guys that dropped my underbelly to repair my melt down had a heck of a time peeling it off. I agree that it will not hold well under tension.In places where I pulled the underbelly up to the frame the tape had loosened in spots
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
I've been giving this some consideration myself. Has anyone tried or had any success in using Edge Trim from Trim-Lok Inc.(www.trimlok.com) to seal the underbelly cover to the frame? It seems it would much easier to remove when necessary and yet do the job. The only question I would have is will it hold?
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
My Gorilla tape lasted about two months and then came off much the same as shown in Hemlockusa's photos. I plan to plug the gaps with black silicon caulk after I check the wiring.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
TOM you might have something there, I checked out the web site you provided and it does look like a few of their trim design's would work to clam over the edge of frame and underbelly. Now I will look for someone local to get a closer look. Thank YOu for your imput. See you in Branson John
Old 12-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
Ditto here. I used the gorilla tape and it stayed on for about two months. Lots of work for poor results.
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Gorilla tape installation was on a new Montana,no dirt, no grime, no road junk...perhaps that made the difference, Execpt the areas were I put stress on the tape it has held fine.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I forgot to mention besides using Darko tape, I also had my dealership install more screws to help seal up and hold the bottom underbelly cover. Seems to be working.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:56 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I used Darko(sp?) tape that I purchased from my dealership.
Montana Sky,
Can you provide the correct spelling of that tape? I've Googled and can't find it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:25 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The tape that Montana Sky mentions, and I can't spell it either.We were told by a dealer that it is the same as Gorilla tape, just a different brand. I would check with a dealer and see what they use. My guess is that it is all in the application.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #14
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Rich - Prehaps I should have waited and had you fix me a BLENDED TODDY instead of the MGD.. Maybe I just didn't follow the correct recipe..... Safae TRavels John
Old 12-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
My tape also failed on a new trailer. I had only pulled it home from the dealer (400 Miles-no rain).
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
John....A blender full of white Russians and who cares about Gorilla tape.Actually it was way to much work. The guys had to rip it all off when they dropped the underbelly for the melt down repair and I am not about to put it back.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Tom & John should we do a group buy? I've been wanting for the Gorilla tape results the come in, now I'll have to pass on that fix. I've also been thinking about using thin angle iron, the kind with the holes in it, some round and some oblong?SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Orv,
My dealership is closed until Jan for the holidays. As soon as they open I will make a run out there and get the proper spelling for you. Sorry I cannot get it for you sooner. MS~
Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #19
bigfoot

M.O.C. #7514
I have had great success with eternabond tape. I have never used it under however. It holds great.

http://www.eternabond.com/
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I installed the Gorilla tape when the unit was new,,no dirt no grime, etc and it held....However,,any place it had to come off like when my under belly was partially dropped ..it did not hold when re done and in places were I did not get it tight and wind was able to work it loose it eventually came loose. LESSON LEARNED...The tape will not adhere for long when dirt is present and will not adhere to anything that is dirty. It will work but the surface must be CLEAN... I made the first post and after 15 months I see it as a failed experiment and or to much work.