Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Some KOA's are ok

We've done a lot of KOA bashing lately and deservidly so. However, Not all are bad. There are two that we seem to use on every trip east. One is on the eastern edge of Oklahoma city. The other is in North Little Rock. Both are a bit overpriced but the facilities are clean and complete as advertised. The staff has always been helpful in both locations. Not sure why these keep coming up for us but we tend to repeat the travel strategy each year on this route.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave and Victoria,

I agree with you, I'm staying at one this weekend in Cripple Creek, CO that is a very nice campground. It doesn't have wireless or cable but it's a little difficult getting some of these luxuries in the mountains at 11,000'. I think KOA's are just like everything else, some good, some bad.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I tend NOT to choose KOA if there is an alternative, but I will put in a couple of good reports. We really enjoyed staying at the KOA in Buena Vista, Colorado over several years. The only reason we do not do so now is that our daughter lives in BV and we can set up in her side yard. Hard to beat those rates! The BV KOA is right up against National Forest land and that was the most important reason we enjoyed it so much. I could walk right out the door of our trailer and take a day long hike.

Another KOA where we have stayed on our way to Colorado is the one in Clayton, NM. The owner-managers have always been helpful and polite. I would not hesitate to stay there again (depending upon my "end of day" position).

A couple of others to mention: We have stayed a couple of times at the KOA near Hayti, Missouri. It just came at the right time of day with few other choices, but I would not hesitate to stay there again. We spent only one night at the KOA in Casey, Illinois (for the same reason) and had a good experience there.

Not that we have had any bad experiences with KOA, but their prices are generally higher than we want or need to pay, so we seek out other possibilities.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:12 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
RangermelB's experience at the Shelby/ Mansfield KOA was horrible.But the fault was with the managers not the campground. We use KOA's frequently particularly when we are not familiar with C.G's in the area. We are going to Columbus, Ohio for a few days in Aug and if we are unable to get a site at the Ohio State fairgrounds (22.00 full hook) we will stay at the Buckeye lake KOA. To me a KOA is like a Bob Evans or a Cracker barrel . No matter where you go you know what to expect. If it is just a overnight stop as long as we can get the camper in and have some power we are not so particular about the C.G . But if it is a few days stay then we don't mind paying a little more.."you get what you pay for applies..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:39 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
KOA Fredericksburg Texas, is GREAT!! Nice owners, pretty place, sites were pretty good sized, one price, included free wifi. We WILL go back there if we are in the area.

We stopped at one near Kilgore Texas on the way to the Valley last December, it was a concrete jungle, but it was as neat as a pin, lovely flowers and stuff planted in creative areas, the owners were FAB!! another one price fits all, 50 AMPS, fee cable, free wifi. Concrete, not our favorite, but in the winter, with the rains, well, we did not have to worry bout getting stuck!

Have stayed at Louisville KY South, easy on, easy off, free wifi last time we were there, staff nice, sites a bit narrow, but it is a great overnighter if you are running hard. Have stayed there a couple of times.

Will NOT go back to the KOA at St Ignace Michigan. Not after getting narrow sites, grass NOT cut on a weekend when he knew he would fill up and one of the workers toting a hand gun in a holster on his hip, weekend with a LOT of kids around. NOPE, he won't get my business again. Personal thing, I don't like guns on hips with kids around.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:17 AM   #6
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Well we really found a bad one in AZ just off of interstate 40 but I can't think on the name of the town,it was about 50 miles east of Kingman. We pulled in and no one was in the office, so we thought we would go ahead and park along with another RV that pulled in behind us. The spaces were large enough but we had a time finding a 50 amp hook up, Then I noticed that just about every space had burned wood laying on the ground and some of them was still smoking. Well let me tell you that I am staying no where they build fires. LOL I wonder why? Anyway there was also sewage on the ground, then while we were talking to the other couple a train came through blowing the horn about 100 yards from the park. Well we dicided not to stay there I give that park a 3. We went on to Kingman and stopped at the Petro truck stop just a little east of Kingman and up on the hill behind it was a wonderful RV Park called Blake Ranch RV Park that was wonderful and the people was great.I give it a 10.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:37 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Carol, you are absolutly right about that Fredericksburg KOA. I don't know why it did not come to mind when I was making the comments in my earlier post. We will ALWAYS stay there when we are in the Fredericksbur area. That is how good our experience has been. I totally agree with your positve evaluation of that campground. Of course, we have never stayed at the Kilgore campground as that is too close to home!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I will second the good report on the KOA east of OKC. And would like to add a few others. In my back yard there is Caddo Mills east of Dallas. Has a pool and a fishing pond, WIFI and more. Yhen my next favorite is Las Vegas, only because it is right there on the strip. The KOA at Carlsbad NM is new and spacious, has a pool and Spa. Very friendly staff. Then there was the one in Amarillo TX. A bit overpriced for the available facilities, but a nice place. Now with all that said, can anyone say anything about the KOA in Victorville, Ca.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote