Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Awning adjustment...

For any who may be awning challenged like myself I thought I would share this "adjustment" I had made during our stay in this Park.

Ever since we wintered in Mission Texas in 05/06 with the winds, our awning had never completely rolled up correctly and the arms never quite fit into one another easily as they had previously. I presumed they were slightly tweaked by the wind and/or the spring was damaged by the tie downs. It wasn't a big deal but was sometimes an up and down drill to get it to roll up adequately so there wasn't the chance of it unraveling on the road. I had to climb on the roof on several occasions to get a better opportunity to make the arms fit into one another. All in all it probably caused us to use the awning less than we would have, given the hassle of dealing with putting it back up. Unfortunately we were never near (nor did I have the inclination) to take the 3400 to a service center.

Anyway, they have an RV service, sales, and awning repair service here so I had them come to the site to see what they could do.
The guy spent about 5 minutes tugging on the outside edge of the fabric where it connects to the spring roller tube. He put it up and down a few times continued to tug and "adjust" and lo and behold the awning acts just like it's supposed to and the arms close nicely.

Apparently, the effect of the tie downs and the wind caused the fabric to slip down the tube thereby causing the fabric to roll up crooked and creating the arm problems and the additional slack in the fabric when rolled up.

I suppose I should have done this sooner, but, I am satisfied with my $45.00 (service call and labor) training class on minor awning adjustments 101.

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Thanks for the advice and maintenance info.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Thanks, I learn something every day here. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The manufacturers used to put a small sheet metal screw at each end (some only at one end due to material shrinkage over time) to prevent the fabric from slipping. I know some folks have done that as an after market improvement. A small mark/line scribed at the end where the fabric should be will facilitate re-adjustment when it gets out of alignment.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Great Idea VanNan......I'm on my way out the door with my Sharpie right now,
Thanks
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This occurs quite frequently. Especially for those, including yours truly, that refuse to put the awning up until we get strong gusts. I won't put the awning up until the gusts are forecast at 35MPH or higher. We have been at the same location in Florida since October and my awning was never put up. Anyway, last week I decided to give the Monty a thorough cleaning and when I put the awning up it was a good 2 inches off. Put it back down gave it a few tugs and it went up just like new.

To all MOCers---The greatest thing about this MOC forum is the exchange of information. 9 times out of 10 one or more of our members has experienced the same problem and they are willing to share this fix should someone ask the question. Next time save yourself some bucks and ask the question.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote