Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
WATER HEATER HELL

Ok who has had their water heater replaced? We arrived at the lake and I noticed some dripping a little while later. I lowered the belly enough to look up and see water coming at a good pace from the floor. I was convinced it was a water line dripping until I ripped the cabinet apart and there was no water spraying from the lines. I turned off the water to the water heater and the dripping stopped. I turned the supply back on and it is flowing faster from the bottom of the trailer.
So anyway with all of that said...
Has any owner of a 3000RK or 330RKBS had their water heater replaced at the dealer? I know the heater is going to cost around $450.00 but I am looking for more of the labor time for replacement. I think 2 years is a little soon for this type of problem to be showing up.
TIA
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Okie - it's really unusual to have to replace the tank after 2 years and would be curious to find out what the problem ends up being. I remember you were having a little trouble winterizing last fall - and it was a little late -

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ms=,antifreeze

It might been damaged by freeze and just now broke. Let us know.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Phil,

Just make sure it is not the safety valve on the heater. Sometimes dripping water can fool you. Mine uses a standard safety valve that you can purchase at Home Depot for less that 10 buncks. You can see the valve by just opening the outside door.

Just a thought.

Tom
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have a 3000rk and there is no way i would spend 450.00 for a water heater that heats 12 gals look at dif places but not cw there has to be something better and cheeper ,, the heater in your house at best is 100.00 plus install so whats the big deal .. buy a elect heater that is on 110 and run it that way .. i never use gas on mine anyway so why have it john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We love the ability to use propane OR electric, OR both on our water heater.

When we get to some parks, we find that they may have 20 or 30 AMP service. We turn off the electric and use the propane only.

Love being able to use the water heater as our needs demand.

Water, cannot live without it, but it becomes the enemy when it leaks!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
You have that right Carol!
I have had a couple of days to cool down now(pun intended) so things look better. The trailer may still have a leak but I will get it to the shop next week. The extended warranty probably won't cover the repairs but that's ok. The problem will be repaired. It simply isn't worth getting worked up over. Stuff happens. Sometimes little kinks in life keep get me so side tracked I forget to stop and enjoy the little moments. Festering over the water problem all last weekend was not healthy. Looking back now it will probably be one of the more memorable trips.
With that said...I am still not a fan of the leak.
Happy Camping!
Phil
Old 09-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Anyway agree with Carol. John's right $450.00 is high, should be had for like $300.00 and if you DIY the removal/install saves on labor cost, unless your not handy?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
On the bright side - that's sure a good looking Dodge in your sig pic!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
UPDATE:
The dealer can't get to my unit until Monday so I will have an update next week. He said they are going to have it back to me by next Friday. I am not holding my breath because last time they told me that and it took 3 weeks.

ON THE FLIP SIDE:
I LOVE the new Dodge. I never imagined I could have this much power. I would like to see Dodge make the back seat a little bigger. The bench would be perfect if they could make it about 6" deeper.

See you down the road!
Phil
Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 AM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
It is an easy do it your self project. Did it on my last trailer after ten years, a lot less than $450, w/ electric and gas. Try PPL RV
You need to check all the conections first.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Mike and Karen,
Great Pic!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
When I took my trailer to the shop the service manager laughed at me after I said the water heater was out. Well the joke is on him. Today he called he told me the water heater is leaking when the water heats up and pressure is on the tank. He said the welds were not good and water shoots out of a couple of holes the size of a needle when it pressures up.
Now if my extended warranty will pay for it without hastling me I will be a happy camper. literally.
Happy Camping!
Phil
Old 10-03-2007, 12:16 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I assume you have already checked on the water heater warranty???Don't forget to get pre approval from your extended warranty company IF you have to use it..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Rich I talked to the service guy again today. He told me the warranty company approved the repair and the tank is being shipped overnight. I should have Miss Monty back by Friday. Thank goodness because 3 weeks at the shop for the second time this summer is making me a little uneasy. After this latest maintance issue it may be time to consider trading up.
Happy Camping!
Phil
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Okie Guy

UPDATE:

ON THE FLIP SIDE:
I LOVE the new Dodge. I never imagined I could have this much power. I would like to see Dodge make the back seat a little bigger. The bench would be perfect if they could make it about 6" deeper.

See you down the road!
Phil
Okie guy, they did! See my signature picture! And I agree about the power. It's amazing the hills it pulls at a low rpm and holding speed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have Miss Monty back and the water heater works well. The cabinet reinstall job leaves something to be desired. I will post some pictures later.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Funny story. I winterized my MH one year and forgot to drain the WH. When I filled the system the next year, "wow" water everywhere. Took it out and had it welded for $30. Went on my honeymoon (new wife) and while in Niagara Falls, boom, it split the weld. The new one (Atwood 6 gal propane) cost me a few bucks off $1000(C). I put it in myself. What I learned was RV parts are expensive and to get my system winterized by a dealer. He may make mistakes but then he is responsible.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote