Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
Slide out roof sagging

I just took my '07 3295RK in to the dealer to see if they can do anything about the ceiling of the living room slide sagging. I noticed that the top seal on the outside doesn't make contact with the roof of the slider when it is full extended, about 1/2" gap, which would allow rain and dust inside the coach. If I sight along the roofline from end to end, when the slide is in, it is very noticable, even the Trim and the facia board is sagging. It was probably like this from the start, just now out of warranty so I don't know if Keystone will cover the repairs. Has anyone else seen this problem and is there a fix?

tehachapatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That problem has been reported several times in various models. We have a 06 3400 and our main slide was "not level" We had.. main slide not level as one of our issues when we went to the service center for warranty work and they DID correct the problem..I did not see what they did but it involved re enforcing the slide. Don't know about out of warranty work??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I noticed the living room slide on our 3075 was sagging a few days after our warranty expired. I contacted our dealer and Keystone authorized the repair. I am not sure how it was repaired, but it was completed in 1 day and everything looks great.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Does yours leak water inside? If so, I can help with the fix. Mine sags as well, but doesn't leak anymore.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Had the same problem with the main slide of out Big Sky so when I took it back to the dealer for repair he took the wood beam (about 1 X 3) reversed it and added a steel angle iron the full length of the slider. I assumed he jacked the center up while making the repairs as it's nice and straight now. They did a good job so good luck on your's.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Had mine readjusted a month after we got it but now it needs some work again so in it goes they can fix it john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Does yours leak water inside? If so, I can help with the fix. Mine sags as well, but doesn't leak anymore.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
We really haven't had enough rain out here to tell if water will get past the metal gutter, but it will get past the outer gasket for sure. It looks like the inner gasket is holding the dust out. Did you try to get the sagging fixed?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Old 09-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
Rich,
Was yours sagging in the center also? That long of a slide really needs to have a metal brace, I see some other brands that are built that way. I see others that have the work approved by Keystone when out of warranty, mine was out by a couple of weeks due to me misreading the warranty date. They've had it three days now and no word yet.

Phil

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

That problem has been reported several times in various models. We have a 06 3400 and our main slide was "not level" We had.. main slide not level as one of our issues when we went to the service center for warranty work and they DID correct the problem..I did not see what they did but it involved re enforcing the slide. Don't know about out of warranty work??
Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The seam inside seems to be the leaking aspect of the long slide. I sealed mine and haven't had any problems since. You can see the sealing job at my Ozz's Mods site. Good luck on yours.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes it had a sag in the middle and I think they did put a metal brace across the slide.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
Well,
I got a call from Stier's in Bakersfield and they say that Keystone has approved six hours labor to repair the sagging roof even though Steir's had estimated it would take 12 hours. They say they will remove the trim and facia and reinforce it. How long did they say it took to repair yours?

Phil
Old 09-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Stiers in Bakersfield moves pretty slow or have no idea how to do the job and will be learning as they go.The service center did that and a bunch more in a eight hour day .The service center replaced the removed trim and Facia with new stuff
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
As of today and after 4 tries we finally have the sagging Super Slide roof fixed on our late 2006 3400RL. I can provide details of all the changes and additions that were used to provide a solution. Montana (Keystone) supported the dealer with labor and material costs. Today was 16 months after our original purchase.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #15
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
Thanks Dean,
I picked up my rig yesterday after about two weeks in the shop. They pulled the facia and installed a metal support bracket. All is well so far. The roof is flat and the seals all look good. Keystone took care of six hours of labor and Steir's covered the rest. We had some rain today and no leaks. Very slow, but it looks like they did a good job. What did they do to fix your's and I wonder if Keystone has figured out how to keep this from happening?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

As of today and after 4 tries we finally have the sagging Super Slide roof fixed on our late 2006 3400RL. I can provide details of all the changes and additions that were used to provide a solution. Montana (Keystone) supported the dealer with labor and material costs. Today was 16 months after our original purchase.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #16
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We had ours worked on so many times that our final fix is a cumulation of all of them. But the last fix seems to have solved the problem. They removed the fascia, the 1" x 5 1/2" x 12' laminated backer board and screwed a flat Stainless Steel bar 1/8" x 2" x 12' to aluminum box frame end. Then replaced the old laminated backer board with a fabricated 1" x 5 1/2" x 12' board made from 3/4" x 5 1/2" x 12' sold oak board with 1/4" x 5 1/2" x 12' oak plywood glued and screwed to the solid oak board to make a 1" thick board. Then installed a 1/2" angle iron behind the new oak board screwed to the aluminum box frame and the oak board. Each time a piece was added they jacked up the center of the slide roof to over center it (raised it higher than normal). Then put the fascia back on. All had been done before except replacing the old laminated board with the solid oak board and replaced the first 1/9" x 2" x 12' flat iron bar with a Stainless Steel version. This oak board and S/S bar provided the added strength needed to keep the roof flat. Finally!
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #17
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
Thanks for the detailed reply, Dean. It sounds similar to what they did on mine, so I hope the results are as good as yours. Good to see that the Dealer and Keystone are standing up for the product. Sounds like they should review the design for the next model.

Phil