Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Buz

M.O.C. #6675
Slide Room Toppers

The factory installed slide room topper on the curb side slide out doesn't shed water and as a result water collects and the cover sags even in a light rain. The other slide toppers on the smaller slides drain perfectly, even in downpours. My dealer checked this and reported that they tightened the roller by three turns. Evidently they didn't check their work because the next week we took a trip and the first rain showed that the problem was still there. Is this just one of those things that I should just accept or is there a way to fix this. Of the five items on the list to be repaired, five were not fixed so I don't think returning our camper to the dealership would be the answer. They kept it for four weeks the last time and that was for naught. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Do not try anything yourself, you can be seriously injured because they are spring loaded, unless you have experience with them. We have quad slide toppers and they also hold rain especially the big slide. I usually have to get on the roof and sweep the rain off with a shop broom. If your not able to get on the roof, then I suggest taking it back to your dealer for re-tightening of the toppers. Good luck and let us know hoe you come out.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Same problem, small slides are fine, large slide holds water. After looking at the size of the large slide cover and knowing that the configuration is relatively flat, I think I have accepted the fact that at least that big one is going to hold water. Some people have went so far as to use bungees around the toppers, beachballs under the toppers, etc. to force water flow. I am like Traveltunes, climb the ladder with a broom and sweep the water off. On the bright side, it forces regular roof inspections!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It's the nature of the beast. From what I understand all the large slide toppers hold water. Our curb side topper is no different than the others. The two smaller toppers on the street side do drain off but the curb side will hold water and there ain't no tightening going to help. I made a piece from PVC pipe that I place under the slide by the entry door. This PVC holds the slide up enough, without damaging the slide, to divert the water to the rear. If I'm sitting for just a few days I don't even bother with the PVC. The topper will drain when you retract the slide. Unless you haven't showered yet, just be sure not to be standing by the slide when it is being retracted.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:32 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Doggone it Glenn, some things are left better unsaid (LOL). I have experienced the shower effect (it is amazing how quick these feet can move!!!!), and my warped since of humor figured that that lesson for others would be better learned by experience. An added benefit of the washing effect, is it is the perfect time to squeegee the windows on that side!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know that it is a good thing or a normal thing but it is a RV thing..just stand aside when the slides goes in.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The cure -

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rv...asp?m=01020301

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Same... 4 slide toppers... only one holds any water... guess which one...

Small plastic balls found in Walgreens, etc work well - for a time. Many times I have donated these little critters to someone on the other side of the park if it gets a little too windy... Now I just leave it out if I'm in a CG long term. Occasionally broom off the water. Rule #1: Make sure the wife is not coming out of the door at that particular time. Of course she thought I did this on purpose. Not really - A.D.D. boy here just doesn't pay attention to where he should sometimes...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Buz

M.O.C. #6675
I thank each and every one who responded. Good advice abounded, especially advising the love of my life when I'm gonna start sweeping! It's a very small 'problem' and one I can live with OK. I guess I wanted to be sure it wasn't something that needed to be addressed.
Thanks again,
Buz
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
Just a word of caution about over tightening these slide covers.

It's hard to tighten the curbside cover to get rid of the sagging because of it's length. That doesn't mean it is not over tight.

I have just replaced the sheer pin in the cross over bar that keeps that slide out even when it is extended or retracted. I now need to replace the springs and end caps for that cover. The suspect is that the springs were over tightened.

The street side covers show the over tightening more when you find that the slides come out at more than a bit of a slant. The bottom of the slide comes out noticeable more than the top.

The first real problem was when the bed separated from the bedroom slide. We reduced the spring tention and reattached the bed and all is well again.

Has anybody else had a problem with broken cover springs or broken cover end caps?

The Rainbirds
Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I just raise the front of the unit before we hook up a bit then move the slides in slow to let the water run off as there are leaves up there also so let them run off slow or they will be in the roller john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #12
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
I tryed the balls and sweeping and nothing at all,then I tryed plastic 1 1/4 pipe (4)tees and (2) 90s make (3) 0-4 nipples 12'of pipe. I left the fittings unglued so I could take the pipe back apart for easy storage.

dscott is offline   Reply With Quote