Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Replaced Television, Living room, 3400

Our 27" Toshiba TV died suddenly yesterday morning, two years old. No power to the set. Checked the plugs and all were powered OK. I'm thinking this was the result of a power spike we were hit with about a year ago. The spike fried our converter, PC printer (even with an internal surge protector), two GFI's, and caused some minor squigglely lines on the TV, but it seemed sort of ok, no real distortion that we couldn't live with. We had since replaced those previous items along with adding a 50 Amp exterior surge guard at the pedestal.
(A recommendation I pass on to all)

Anyway, I pass this along for anyone needing or wanting to replace their television and wondering what set might fit in the entertainment center opening.

We found the Vizio 32" Flat screen HDTV set works well (WalMart) and looks like a factory install. It is taller than some of the more wide sets at 23 1/4 inches and fits nicely inside the opening (22 1/2" height). You have to angle it to get it in (32 lbs) but can then snug it up to the front of the opening and it doesn't show any "open space) around the set. At 31 3/8", widthwise you don't lose any picture because of the 2" width of plastic surround on the set.

Removing the old TV was easy, three screws secure it. Two at the bottom and one at the top. Rather than try to dismantle the fireplace and upper cabinet floor to get at the screws, I used a thin blade hacksaw to cut the screws. Had it out in 10 minutes.

I haven't figured out yet how to secure it for travel yet, may just pull it out and lay it on the sofa, or in the bedroom, or try some velcro solutions.

As a side benefit, I picked up some storage area behind the set which I can use to hide the PC and Printer adapters and surge protector and get them off the computer desk. A small one inch circular hole between the desk and the rear side of the TV compartment should do the trick.

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Great info, there goes another item to add to the wish list. DW is beginning to dread the looks and LENGTH of my wish list. Sure hope Santa is nice this year.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #3
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Thanks for the info. I was just getting ready to install our 32" Vizio. Now I can take out the old TV and put it in while I work on the door I want to make to cover the TV opening. I am planning on making a metal door and covering it with wood to match the entertainment center. I will attack the Vizio to the door. this way I can open it with a hindge on the left side and utilize the space behind it for storage. But for now I will use your solution. Again Thanks for the info.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We did exactly the same modification. Our Zenith TV was a monster with poor picture quality. We replaced it with a 23" Phillips HDTV from Costco.

Instead of a hinge door, I bought a HDTV mounting bracket which was secured to the existing walls with a few pieces of stained oak.

Love the extra room for computer stuff, the great picture is a treat too!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote