Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Doug and Anita
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3321
black water dump

Our 3295RK has been a great unit for fulltiming. Plenty of storage inside and out. However, a problem has arisen with the black water dump. I am still able to pull the handle and dump but the last two times it was very stiff and hard to open and shut. I ran the valve lubricant a couple of times but it did not help. Could I be having a different problem? I don't think I want to know what I think it is but go ahead and tell me anyway. What do I need to do to correct this problem?

Doug and Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It may be binding where it comes through the wood or on the frame. I had to enlarge the hole the rod came through to get it to work properly. A tiny workmanship error..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You might also try some oil or WD-40 on the rod where it goes into the casing. You can also lubricate the outside of the "knife" by spraying WD-40, silicone spray, or white grease into the valve without a hose connected and then open and close it several times. The lubricant you put down the drain may only be helping the inside of the "knife". I also read where someone drilled a small (maybe 1/8" diameter) hole in the top of the case and uses it to drop 3-in-oil in every once in a while. They keep it covered with tape to keep the dust out.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Rich I think you may have some dried paper caught on the sliding valve which moves between two rubber seals.The last thing you do not what to happen is for the handle to break off with a full tank.It happened to me on our Jayco.I would continue to flush working the valve in and out Good Luck
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Both our grey and black tank rods were binding on the wood. Our skilled craftsman was in a bit of a rush that day and did not drill the holes in the right place. He is only a people and people make mistakes..no big deal ..right...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Doug and Anita
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3321
All of your suggestions are appreciated. Is there a cable connecting the rod to the valve. Could there be a problem in this area? If so, how would you get to it to replace or repair?
Doug and Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
As Rich says oil or spray silicon its very slipery try anything before you rip it apart how about vasiline that did wonders many years ago , try it it worked then , why not now john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The rod goes direct into the plastic valve. Next time you are an RV Parts store check out the valve than you will have a clear understandig on how it work.I am sure they are pictured in C.W. cat
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote