Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Last Day of Work

Well the day has finally arrived. This is my DW's final day of work (paid, that is). She says she has dreamed of this day for a long time but now that it's here, she feels it is bittersweet. Mind you she is not retirement eligible yet, that doesn't happen for another 5 years, she's just tired of working. As she says, "Now the fun begins". I am so happy for her. We have to fly to San Diego for sons graduation then back here to start "Phil & Cathys' Big Adventure. Hope to be in Monty by 23 May and out of Alaska by 1 Jun. See you all soon!!!!!!

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Congrats Cathy.. we will be following your adventures. When you get in the Washington area maybe we can meet somewhere. We are on Samish Island and near the Burlington Camping World. Safe travels...
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Free at last! Free at last!! Congratulations! The work continues, but it is what you choose and when you choose. Enjoy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
EEEEHAH!!
FREE FREE FREE!!!
You guys have a ball, and be careful on the Alcan.
Way to Cathy, wish Phyllis would hang it up, she's got 4 years and if shee goes to 65 it will double her retirement and increase her SS by about 80%. She wants to stick it out so I will support her in every way. Fix dinner, breakfast, vacuum sometimes, keep the Monty neat, etc.

You guys are gonna have a ball!!! again, CONGRATUALTIONS
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Congratulations on reaching this milestone. I know you can't wait to get on the road. Enjoy!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations!!!

Vicki wasn't yet retirement age when we began our adventure, either. I will not speak to whether she has yet reached that age, but... nah, I prefer to live a long and healthy life.

I hope your adventure is as pleasant and enjoyable as ours has been. What we thought would last a year or two is now over four years and going strong. Enjoy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Congratulations, Phil and Cathy, on moving forward into a new lifestle. We have been following your story as you progressed toward this time. Before I thought that I was old enough to retire I became quite upset when told that I could retire. I didn't feel "old enough to retire." I was told by a financial advisor that I should just consider it a change in life style and forget the age problems. That was much easier to understand and accept. I have "semi-retired" now and we are longtiming. We are really enjoying this forray into this new lifestyle. We are not ready to go full time yet but are really happy that we have made this change of lifestyle and look forward to hearing how you do in yours.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Congrats! Enjoy your trip to San Diego and your time with your son. Keeping our fingers crossed that you can move into your Monty on the 23rd and hit the road! Take care.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Phil & Cathy,

Congratulations on your new lifestyle. We hope your adventures are as wonderful as ours.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Congratulations Phil and Cathy on your new lifestyle.

Drive safe and maybe we'll get to see you on your way to LOW in Moscow.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Since we were Fed Government full retirement is 30 years 55 years of age. Helen stayed for 33 years and I stayed for 37 so as to increase our % a bit. We all earn our retirement and hopefully the good life that goes with it.We can not think of a better life style than the freedom of the road. Good luck and enjoy your great adventure. A tip..The day I retired I walked out the front door of the "Cleveland Air route Control Center" as I had done hundreds of times, walked down the long walk to the parking lot, drove out the gate, turned left and headed for home and began a new life. I never looked back, not once and have not since.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
You guys deserve it! Enjoy and be safe!
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Congratulations Phil and Cathy!! Maybe I'll run into y'all down the road sometime....the freedom road:-)

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Hallelula, hallelula, hallelula. NO MORE STICK HOME, BUYERS CLOSED TODAY. WILL RECORD TOMORROW AND GET CHECK ON FRIDAY. Whew! I have sold other houses before, but this was, by far, the most difficult and emotional. But, it is all over now. Visited dealer today to confirm we would be doing a final PDI on 22 May and picking up our 3400RL on 23 May. That will start our fulltimer status..WOOOO HOOOOOO! Hope I don't seem too excited. Actually I do.........Dealer agreed to install a 220V line in WD area for Maytags and a 110 circuit near bed for my CPAP. What a life. He is also working on getting me a Superglide hitch and has agreed to credit me for the hitch they put in earlier. I have a drivers course scheduled for the afternoon of the 23rd with a truck driving and training company. They have a 10 acre obstacle course for training. Trainer said I will be good to go after that. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, back to Anchorage from San Diego today. My oldest son graduated from San Diego State University. Really Proud of my two boys, both have graduated from college. And are competent members of society. Now if they could only learn how to make a baby. ARGGHH!!!. Tomorrow I do my walk around of my Monty at my dealers. I think he will be surprised. IF, nothing wrong, we will pull it off his lot on Wedensday and put it in a military fam camp about 12 miles away and then start the process of moving things from storage and apartment to Monty. Then we will check out of the apartment and become instant fulltimers. The excitement builds........
Old 05-22-2007, 02:25 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
How exciting for both of you. We dealt with the Montana dealer in Anchorage when we lost our water tank up north and they were great people. Hope they treat you as well and you start your adventure very soon.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 AM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Congrats on your new way of life. We have been retired for a little over a month now and we are loving it. It is so nice not to set an alarm clock or worry about how you are going to plan a weekend trip in the Montana. Go and enjoy.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:25 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have a drivers course scheduled for the afternoon of the 23rd with a truck driving and training company. They have a 10 acre obstacle course for training. Trainer said I will be good to go after that. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Wise choice on the training course. Think it should be a requirement before you can drive one out of the dealers lot. Yir Great adventure begins.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
First: Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement.

Second: Spent 3 1/2 hours today doing a Final Walk Around of our Monty. Dealer scraped the awning putting it into service bay and put tiny holes in it. They will replace. One elect outlet plate missing. They will add. Dirty carpet. They will clean. All in all, the DW and I were impressed. I checked roof for any anomalies. Everything looked good. Crawled underneath checking for hangy wires, leaks, strange looking apparatus. All looked fine. Apollo works, oven works, vac works, both TV's worked, DVD worked, Surround sound worked, all lights worked, heater, AC, hot water, all worked. Waste disposal, worked, ceiling fan worked, jacks tested and worked. Slide seals looked good, no sagging slides (yet). Actually pretty happy so far.

Third: Picking up unit tomorrow (23rd), going direct to drivers course, putting in Mil FamCamp for the holiday weekend, then off to travel within Alaska for about a week to check everything out. Dealer will make repairs if needed whenever I am done, THEN: We're off for our great adventure. Hope to see some of you on the road. Will be staying in ID, WA and OR until 2 Sep, then start making our way south. Sacramento, San Diego, Mesa and then? Who knows.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:15 AM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Wow.. we remember those first days....so much fun and adventure. Take your time, use good common sense, you'll do just fine just like the rest of us!!

Congratulations!

See you down the road!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote