Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
doggie seat belt

My husband had a near tragedy recently when our dog was in the back seat of the truck and he had to brake hard - she came flying up into the front and down under the dash. No injuries but we decided to get her a "seat belt" to hold her. Of course she doesn't like it and wimpered in the truck with it on but we are determined she needs it.Has anyone else used one of these? Did the dog eventually get over it? We are leaving tomarrow for an 1100mile trip with her and I don't want to hear wimpering continuosly for 3 days. HELP

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

My husband had a near tragedy recently when our dog was in the back seat of the truck and he had to brake hard - she came flying up into the front and down under the dash. No injuries but we decided to get her a "seat belt" to hold her. Of course she doesn't like it and wimpered in the truck with it on but we are determined she needs it.Has anyone else used one of these? Did the dog eventually get over it? We are leaving tomarrow for an 1100mile trip with her and I don't want to hear wimpering continuosly for 3 days. HELP
Haven't but all of our cars/trucks have secured dog crates. Wouldn't travel with the dogs any other way. Gives the dogs room to move araound but keeps them secure from other objects and from flying themselves in the case of quick stops.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We use crates as well, for the safety of the "kids" and of the parents. One set for the truck, another for the Montana! No crates, no go.

Reward her for not whining??? Good luck, just keep her buckled up!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have a doggie seat belt for Greta and it works great. She likes to be close enough for a little (or a lot) of scratching and I can reach her from the front seat. It's a necessity for her because she is 40# pounds and likes to cuddle. If I'm driving behind the truck, it looks like Glen has a cozy date with some gal with big ears! She will interfere with his driving so it's a safety issue for us. Greta doesn't complain. She knows if she gets buckled in, she in for the long haul. And she's the most enthusiastic traveler in the family. I think your dog will get used to it, Ginny. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We don't have a dog but do travel with a Cock-a-too..We keep it in a travel cage in the crew cab..which is why we got the crew cab.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Our Dachshund has been put in one for years. He got over it real quick. Kept him out of the front seat.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:25 AM   #7
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Rich & Helen, We also travel with our Cockatoo, Jessie. He is also caged in the back seat when we are traveling. Jessie is a medium sulphur crested, with a large vocabulary for a cockatoo. Keeps us entertained, but also acts as an alarm clock (sometimes too early) in the mornings. What type of cockatoo do you have?
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:52 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

My husband had a near tragedy recently when our dog was in the back seat of the truck and he had to brake hard - she came flying up into the front and down under the dash. No injuries but we decided to get her a "seat belt" to hold her. Of course she doesn't like it and wimpered in the truck with it on but we are determined she needs it.
I know this is a little off topic but when traveling with dogs we crate all dogs, all dogs have collars/tags (I know this is sometimes controversial) but we have done this for 20 years +. All dogs are microchiped or have a tattoo. All the chip IDs and tattoos #s are in the glove box. Occasionally when we take other's dogs to show or train we require the same. We've had to many friends that have unfortunate accidents and lost and not recovered dogs in the process.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:58 AM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Our dogs each have a little padded jacket that straps on and has a loop on the back. We slip the regular seat belt through the loop. To keep the seat belt from retracting, we just put a clothespin on the belt where it goes through the sholderbelt pully. Our dogs ride in the back seat.

Our dogs are crate trained and we have used cages in the past but found this method much more secure and easy for us. The dogs have enough freedom to access their water dish on the seat between them. We also provide each of them wih a regular dogbed cushion. For the most part, they just sleep while we are on the move.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:10 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tom & Joyce..Ours is umbrella Cock-A-too by the name of Dusty,Had her since it was a baby and has camped with us since then..when it see's us heading for the camper the crest goes up and it calls bye, bye,bye. It has bonded with Helen and does not care very much for me. It has about a 10 or 15 word vocabulary. The bird is fine with anybody and everybody..execpt me????
Old 04-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
We have "met" Tom and Joycees Cock-A-Too. Its a fantastic bird. VERY smart but we will keep our dog. I don't want a pet thats smarter than me. I think I already have that problem but she kind of grew on me.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:53 AM   #12
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
What a fantastic bird, Rich. I thought Greta was smart about getting ready to leave but it's amazing that the bird's vocabulary is so appropriate.

Dave and Victoria, we have the same set up for Greta. Sometimes she sits in the front between us and usually sleeps during the entire trip. When she gets bored, she bops our coffee cups for entertainment.

315RLS, thanks for the good advice. We sure don't want to loose any of our special friends.

By the way, we're in a lousy campground in Georgia. Not a single squirrel to chase!
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #13
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Those of you with the 'toos. Do you ever get complaints, from your neighbors in campgrounds, that they're too loud? I'm always worried our Amazon or one of the others might get too loud, but so far so good.
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One of the families in our camping club has a Amazon and they are MUCH louder that our Too.But no we have never had a problem and Dusty has camped with us for 8 years. In fact most of the camgrounds we go to Helen is known as 'The bird lady"
Old 04-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #15
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
He's normally pretty well behaved, but I've often wondered if 'neighbors' were just being polite or what. Actually dogs barking gets to me more than the birds usually do, but we don't let our dogs go on barking either.

It's nice to have found another 'bird lady' cuz that's what they call me in our camping club. Well... it's more like 'that crazy bird lady' to most. I often wonder what people think when I start pulling out dog carriers and/or cages. We do get some pretty odd looks sometimes.
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #16
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We rolled our first truck/travel trailer combo 7 years ago and luckily the dog we had at the time wasn't hurt, but not because we were good "parents". We now travel with our whippet Danny who is ALWAYS in his crate in the back seat. He's a retired show dog so he was already crate trained when we got him as an adult. Dogs naturally like a "nest" and since he can see and hear us from the back seat, he's very happy with room to move around and his warm, soft blanky. We think it's the best way to protect both the dog and the humans.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a dog for a long time then it got old and died and we did not get another,Got the Cock-a-too instead since Helen is a'Critter" person. The Too will have a fit when we leave her in the camper and may scream for a couple of mins then shut up.So our fellow campers have told us.. I would much rather travel with a Bird than a dog..I always said that a dog is like a forever 2 year old kid..although our hound loved to travel and camp and was never a problem...execpt for the time she ate our blinds....all of them...
Old 04-05-2005, 03:17 AM   #18
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have had no complaints about Jessie (our cockatoo). As Rich & Kalamity have said he is more of an entertainment to other RVers. We take him (in his cage) out to the picnic table when weather permits and he is always an attractions when he says "Hello" or "Bye-Bye" to each person who passes. Occassionally he will even "bark" back at a dog which brings a great reaction as dogs turn their heads to the side to figure out what is going on. LOL Jessie can be loud, but we have asked several RV neighbors if they hear him when we are out of the Montana. They all reply that he is quiet when we are gone and only starts when he hears our vehicle driving up. So guess in that way they are like dogs in that they are welcoming you home.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote