Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
RV Geeks n Tires

Received an email about a new RV Geeks post and watched the video. It's about tires. I think it is very informative.. and the impetus for it was backed by Michelin. Worth checking out IMO. Ya just might save a ton of dinero. Some/most of it was old news.. but some new to me.

http://thervgeeks.com/maintenance/rv...e-replacement/

GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
No matter how many times one sees it in print or on a video, and no matter how many different experts or companies say it's O.K. to do so, there are plenty of hard-heads out there that throw out perfectly fine tires just because they hit 4 or 5 years old. Like the calendar can predict a tire failure better than an inspection. I've seen it with my own eyes.
Wow...I wish I had that kind of money to waste. It's like re-shingling a house just because the shingles are whatever years old. Looking fine, and doing their job perfectly, mind you, but whatever years old.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Now, now Mark, that's the same kind of thinking for those who religiously change their oil every 3,000 miles even though oil has since progressed to better than that. One does what they are comfortable or experienced with and with the many mishaps so many other tire brands have had even with less than 4 or 5 years, this seems to be a pretty good metric. Since going by looks is not always the best way to be with tires, it has been shown or experienced so many times that unless you routinely pay to have your tires routinely removed from one's wheels to check the interior of a tire, some of us opt to use 5 years as our tire change out interval. Especially since inspecting the tires exterior skin or looking at the interior skin would be not much better, if the tires compound is what's about to fail - you can't see that!

I can't seem to get the link going on my computer yet (I'm sure it's my side), but I will look at it.

I will add that I have documented here, that I went with Michelins on my TV, and one FAILED. While the tire was replaced under a crappy warranty (still cost almost $100 because of prorating), even Michelin has a bad one every so often, but I've had good luck with Michelin other than this one mishap so I may just stick with them, and the Maxxis ST tires on my rig.

In the meantime, please don't call us hard-heads, maybe "opinionated/prejudiced via personal experience", but not hard-heads. [:-)] We are just trying to stay ahead of the mishap curve.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Now, now Mark, that's the same kind of thinking for those who religiously change their oil every 3,000 miles even though oil has since progressed to better than that.....
I agree it is like changing oil every 3K miles. People live by it, do it, and swear by it, though all the experts say it's money and time down the drain.
Hard-headed might have been a bit strong, but heck, I'm hard-headed too about some things, and I wear it on my sleeve.
But still, if one takes good care of your tires, as outlined in this video, 5 years is about the half-way point in a RV tires life. I used to work tires for a living. Several different shops in fact. I have developed my opinions based on what I saw instead of what I imagine could go wrong. I can state equivocally that the number one cause of premature tire failure (not counting road damage) is running them under pressure. Hands down. Nothing else even comes close. If a tire is treated with respect, 10 years is very doable. If they are routinely exposed to sunlight, then that number shrinks considerably. As in the video, I am a religious user of 303 Aerospace Protectant on my tires (and my vinyl awning). It flat works. Given the incredible propensity for Americans to sue companies when things go wrong with a product, and given the huge exposure that product liability cases present in the media (AKA GM right now) that the tire companies are themselves saying 10 years is doable, then that speaks volumes about their confidence in their products lasting that long with proper care and inspection.
One last thing: In all of my years tearing down tires, I never once saw a tire that was deteriorated on the inside, without the outside looking far worse. Tire degradation definitely starts on the outside and works in.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Makes more sense now, Mark. Thanks... I wish I knew about the 303 stuff on the awning, too. Now after 8 years of sun burning down on the top of the rolled up awning is causing the fabric to separate from being so sunbeat on the top of the awning closest to the rig. Unfortunately, when this part starts to weaken and separate, it's time to think about a new replacement awning.

I am religious about checking and maintaining tire pressure. But I'll still never know why I've had 4 tire failures in spite of that. I have now added tire covers and more frequent monitoring and will still change my tires at 5 to 6 years. But you should be happy to know that I do not change my dino oil every 3,000 miles. I change it at 5,000 (not 7,500) which is the documented interval for heavy duty usage vehicles.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Now, now Mark, that's the same kind of thinking for those who religiously change their oil every 3,000 miles even though oil has since progressed to better than that. One does what they are comfortable or experienced with and with the many mishaps so many other tire brands have had even with less than 4 or 5 years, this seems to be a pretty good metric. Since going by looks is not always the best way to be with tires, it has been shown or experienced so many times that unless you routinely pay to have your tires routinely removed from one's wheels to check the interior of a tire, some of us opt to use 5 years as our tire change out interval. Especially since inspecting the tires exterior skin or looking at the interior skin would be not much better, if the tires compound is what's about to fail - you can't see that!
I can't seem to get the link going on my computer yet (I'm sure it's my side), but I will look at it.

I will add that I have documented here, that I went with Michelins on my TV, and one FAILED. While the tire was replaced under a crappy warranty (still cost almost $100 because of prorating), even Michelin has a bad one every so often, but I've had good luck with Michelin other than this one mishap so I may just stick with them, and the Maxxis ST tires on my rig.

In the meantime, please don't call us hard-heads, maybe "opinionated/prejudiced via personal experience", but not hard-heads. [:-)] We are just trying to stay ahead of the mishap curve.
Agree!!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I realize that if it is on the internet it must be true.

Spend some time in a campground and talk with folks with damage to their RV in the tire area. Most RV trailer tires are loaded to 100% of their ratings.

The ST trailer tires have NO reserve capacity. The RV geeks are showing a motorhome tire that has a completely different rating system than the ST tires on our trailers.

If you do some research you will find fleets (trucking firms) are not using tires past 5-7 years and will not recap a casing over 5-7 years old.

The first thing I did when I got mine home was to ditch the ST tires. And yes, I change my Ram oil every 5K miles.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Motorhome tires are also not subjected to the side loading that our trailer tires are. Even a normal turn produces a side load that motorhome tires don't see.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Wish I had saved the link to the government site that gave the standards tires are tested at, NO ST tires are NOT tested to the same standard as passenger/truck tires. Reason is they don't carry people. If you only go to the lake and back and keep it under 55 then you will probably get away with them. But if you got a 12k lb trailer that travels and you do 60-70 mph it is best to have LT tires or G rated tires if you like the sides of your trailer....I also have a long bed truck but never turn at 90%. Well lets say I try to never get into that position so I don't have too. Just came back from one of the snowbird villages in Mesa AZ where the streets are so tight and the guy who backs you in had no idea what he was talking about....Had me jack my trailer tight and it still would not fit his way....had to do it my way while I let him hollered at me to stop and turn and quit etc...had her in in 5 minutes after a half hour of him trying to tell me how to back my trailer.....still ****** he had me jacked around so tight......
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote