Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Keurig

For Christmas our son bought us a Keurig with 2 boxes of coffee for me and 2 boxes of tea for Louise. We really enjoy the convenience but once the coffee k-cups were gone I was surprised to see how expensive they were. I finally found the EZ Cup system which allows me to use my regular brand of coffee. Filters for the EZ still run around 10 cents each plus the cost of my coffee which is pennies per cup. Louise is back to using her tea bags, also for pennies a cup.

What do other Keurig owners do?

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
We order ours from Amazon or buy them at Sams or Costco. We have found that you get a better price when you buy in bulk. We also have the EZ cup system for when I want my Gevalia coffee. Dea also buys her Twinings English Breakfast tea K-cups from Amazon as well. a little more expensive at $11.69/ 24count. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I never found a K cup blend that I really liked. And was also turned off by the price. So we also use the EZ cup adapter and our own coffee.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
We have an EZ cup also, but usually use a product called K-Caps (www.mykcap.com). What they are is a plastic cap with a hole in the center that presses onto a used k-cup. After we've used a k-cup, we rinse it out and re-use with these caps. That way we can buy whatever kind of coffee we like. Debbie will buy k-cups when she sees them on sale, but usually we use the cans of coffee. The Keurig is a great system for us since she doesn't like strong coffee and I do.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We use eight-o-clock beans in our Cuisinart regular maker at the house that grinds the beans immediately before brewing. With the recent water fiasco due to the chemical spill in WV, we are still not using the tap water, so we have been mainly relying on the Keurig until we trust (if ever) the water. Walmart has eight-o-clock Keurig cups for around $10 which is what we have been using recently. We do have to resort to the fresh beans occasionally since there is no comparison.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, the cost is high for replacement K-cups. We try to buy in 80-100 count for better costs but it's still higher than the 12 cup type coffee prices. So far we are averaging between 30-40 cents per cup. We are now working on the type of reusable K-cups, but we are still working on the grind size and density because so far that coffee has been WAY too weak for our tastes and leaves too much residue and while we like our coffee strong we don't want to chew it!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
When I want tea with our keurig I put a plain tea bag instead of a kcup in the machine and then brew, no special holder, just stick it in the place where the kcup goes.. It worksfor me.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have a small Mr. Coffee for Joyce's coffee and I use the Keurig for a cup of hot water that I then add hot chocolate to. Can't find sugar free K cups and buying the packets and adding them to the hot water is far cheaper anyway.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Couldn't do the $35 lb. coffee, not able to swallow it for fear it was too rich for my blood. We made the bigger mistake of selecting a Keurig that only takes the V cups. It was a gift. After the foo-foo coffee was gone from the sample packed with the unit, we went looking for the V cup filters so we could use the cheap swill, store brand 100% Colombian Dark Roast. There are no filters for the V cups, only the K cups. Then we found the coffee holders for the V cups at Bed Bath and Beyond. They were $20 each and have a permanent brass filter that only lets half the grounds through. The rest you have to suck through your teeth to filter out the grit. Yep, Keurig, what a gimmick. Kind of like the old razor game. The razors were free, but wait till you have to buy the replacement blades.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I go to DD for my coffee the bag is still a one lb bag. I use the basket that is plastic with the very fine screen. When DD runs their specials you can get 3 bags for under 20 bucks. I get about 32 to 33 cups of coffee from one bag, way cheaper then the k cups. I was getting my cups from Coffeewiz 13.25 for 24 cups IIRC

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I deserve a good cup of coffee and K-Cups are for me. I can buy, in bulk - Amazon subscription) what I like and drink one cup at a time. It is fresh, hot, and good. I drink Tully's House Blend. Around $.60 a cup, but the DW likes it weaker, so we get two cups from one. Therefore, only $.30 a cup. We have a big unit in the S&B and a small one in the Monty.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We are on our second Keurig and really like it. We have the small one. The DW likes different blends than I do. We were throwing out too much coffee when using bigger brewers. When you want a cup you simply make it, there is no waste.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ok, I found the "end all" to these coffee threads! I will have my Montana fitted with one of these custom "coffee centers". I suspect, I will lose some basement space, but I will become very popular at every Montana Rally !

http://www.ianddindustries.com.au/mo...fee-van-fitout
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Michael,
We need a like button.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
When talking k-cup prices per box you need to list k-cups count per box. Many stores only sell 12 k-cups per box, not the 18 count box. We have found that Wal-Mart sells 18 count k-cup boxes for $10.98.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Here comes the battle in our household! Bonnie wants the one cup convenience. I can't justify paying over a hundred bucks for convenience when I can get a perfectly good 12 cup with all of the bells and whistles for about 30 bucks. I also can't justify paying 70+ bucks a pound for the convenience coffee. When the novelty of these things wears off and the price drops to a reasonable level, I might reconsider. Affordability isn't the issue. I wouldn't buy one if I had Warren Buffet's money, but that's just me.

I've learned a couple tricks that work just fine for me. They might make a coffee connoisseur cringe, however. Trick one: If you make more coffee than you intend to drink, take it off the heat as soon as it finishes brewing. Store it in the refrigerator until you want to drink it then just warm it up. I can't tell any difference in the taste from fresh brewed. Trick two: If your coffee has been sitting on the heat for a while and has that bitter taste, add water to restore the taste. The bitterness comes from the water evaporating in the pot concentrating the coffee. I won't profess to be a coffee expert, but this all works for me......Don
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a customer who sends us some of this very expensive coffee every time we send him an order. I really appreciate it but I don't like the coffee. The coffee is worth more then the stuff we send him. He also sends some very good candy. I give the coffee to my niece and eat the candy.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #18
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Hi Dick, with only one coffee drinker here (me) our Keurig is a great item. Judy does also use it for tea.

I order most of our coffee and tea products from Green Mountain Coffee and also belong to their Café Express club. Attached is their website taking you directly to Customer service, however look over all of their products as there are many. Free shipping and you can order via fone or web. Good Luck Dennis

http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/customer-service
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Here comes the battle in our household! Bonnie wants the one cup convenience. I can't justify paying over a hundred bucks for convenience when I can get a perfectly good 12 cup with all of the bells and whistles for about 30 bucks. I also can't justify paying 70+ bucks a pound for the convenience coffee. When the novelty of these things wears off and the price drops to a reasonable level, I might reconsider. Affordability isn't the issue. I wouldn't buy one if I had Warren Buffet's money, but that's just me.

I've learned a couple tricks that work just fine for me. They might make a coffee connoisseur cringe, however. Trick one: If you make more coffee than you intend to drink, take it off the heat as soon as it finishes brewing. Store it in the refrigerator until you want to drink it then just warm it up. I can't tell any difference in the taste from fresh brewed. Trick two: If your coffee has been sitting on the heat for a while and has that bitter taste, add water to restore the taste. The bitterness comes from the water evaporating in the pot concentrating the coffee. I won't profess to be a coffee expert, but this all works for me......Don
Trick 3: If mama wants a Keurig, buy a Keurig. At some point in the future mama will want to be happy, therefore you will be happy! Price of mutual happiness = $100!!

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I wonder how much the Kopi Luwak pre-filled K-Cups are apiece?!

At around $140/pound for roasted beans, I imagine that the K-Cups are just the ticket for wealthy campers that are in a hurry for just a cup or two! You'd just hate to brew 12 cups, and toss out that last 8 cups of it that you didn't finish!

Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote