Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Things RVers do on the road:

Let us assume some other RVers are like me and dislike interstates. They run the back roads. Now you're on a two lane road putting along 50 or 55 mph. A truck comes up behind, has an opportunity and passes. 5 miles down the road you come to a small town with one or two stop lights and the truck is sitting at one. The road has widened as you came into town. Do you pull up along side the truck so as to beat him away from the light?? The considerate driver would just lay back a bit and let him get going. He'll be out of your way in a couple miles. He probably has someplace to go; he's going to bend the speed limit a bit and 5 miles out of town you're going to be in his way again and possibly in an accident prducing situation.

Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sounds right to me. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:49 AM   #3
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
I guess I'm missing the point. I didn't think it was a race.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:16 AM   #4
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Yea that happens all the time. We will pull up next to them but not try to beat them. It's more of a "HA! You are driving like a jerk and didn't get any further ahead of us!" and I will mutter something about them being morons to my husband. LOL Then I will hear a tiny, little, 5 year old voice from the back seat pipe up and say "what were they thinking?" and we all laugh.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:06 AM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
It's not a question of racing. The next town may be twenty miles down the road and if the truck is allowed to proceed, he'll be out of sight by then while you're still back 15 miles, going 50 mph and generally being a traffic hazard.
There is a line in my profile that says: "lot of people don't avoid accidents because they're such good drivers; they avoid them because someone else is better!"
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #6
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak
... He'll be out of your way in a couple miles....
Couple of miles! Boy you sure drive a lot faster than I. Give that trucker a quarter mile and I won't be able to smell his exhaust any longer!

And
Quote:
quote: ... "lot of people don't avoid accidents because they're such good drivers; they avoid them because someone else is better!" ...

Can't (won't) dispute your quip but I don't know what this has to do with driving around the speed limit. I'm not a great driver but am aware of my surroundings and go out of my way not to interfer with the normal flow of traffic. But that doesn't mean that I will go 15 MPH over the posted limit just to "keep up". It means that I will go the speed limit (at best) and get the heck out of everyones way when I get the opportunity!

And, I may, or may not, catch up with them at the next light or town. As stated by Bob and Donna, " I didn't think it was a race."!

Craig

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, we're with you on that. We avoid interstates most of the time. The US and most state highways are usually smoother and far more interesting.

As for your question, as fulltimers we'd just pull in behind him and let him go. But when we were vacationers hurrying to get to our destination to maximize our vacation time we'd probably have pulled up beside him. But in that situation we'd have been running a bit faster anyhow. It's nice to be able to relax and do fewer miles per day. Sometimes we can't do that but most of the time we can.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote