Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
What Is The Strangest Thing Or Sandwich you Ate

Well I saw this on another forum and got to wondering what we all have ate that others would think was strange. So I will be first.

I like some pretty strange stuff, Bread with ketchup and French fries on it, Mayo. and pickle relish on bread, Butter with sugar on it.Bananas on bread with Mayo or Miracle Whip, Walt even tried Elvis Presley's favorite, the fried bananas with peanut butter, Well he said that he would not eat it again. But I think my most favorite is bread with bake beans and onions, Oh my god am I getting hungry, So What have you tried????????? Or Better than that what is your favorite Sandwich?????

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We tried fried Oreo cookies last year at the California State Fair. They were nasty!.. *LOL..... it kept us from trying all the other "fried" things that were also available like fried Snickers candy bars and fried Twinkies.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 AM   #3
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

Well I saw this on another forum and got to wondering what we all have ate that others would think was strange. So I will be first.

I like some pretty strange stuff, Bread with ketchup and French fries on it, Mayo. and pickle relish on bread, Butter with sugar on it.Bananas on bread with Mayo or Miracle Whip, Walt even tried Elvis Presley's favorite, the fried bananas with peanut butter, Well he said that he would not eat it again. But I think my most favorite is bread with bake beans and onions, Oh my god am I getting hungry, So What have you tried????????? Or Better than that what is your favorite Sandwich?????
This is my father's not mine.. Peanut butter and mayonase sandwich (Yuck).. I've always eaten french fries with mayo, spent time in Holland and found that is how everyone eats them there..
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:03 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, I was a teenager at a party the first time I ate Rocky Mountain Oysters (didn't know until afterwards what that is). As a kid I went through a phase where I liked catsup on mashed potatos (yuck!). Now and then I'll take leftover potatoes, fry them into potato pancakes, then mix Miracle Whip into them. Really pretty good!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:52 AM   #5
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
LOL!!!! That's too funny and I can see you are a major bread person. My husband likes a french fry sandwich too. Or a peanut butter and cheese sandwich. EWWW! Mayo and pickle relish would be like a tartar sauce sandwich.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:56 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Mmm... those potato pancakes do sound good.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Well, I was a teenager at a party the first time I ate Rocky Mountain Oysters (didn't know until afterwards what that is). As a kid I went through a phase where I liked catsup on mashed potatos (yuck!). Now and then I'll take leftover potatoes, fry them into potato pancakes, then mix Miracle Whip into them. Really pretty good!
Old 07-15-2004, 05:59 AM   #7
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I like a lot of weird things. LOL

Ranch dressing on my fries, pizza or just about anything else.
Mayo on fries or just about anything else.
Peanut butter, miracle whip and lettuce sandwich on toast.
Peanut butter and syrup on french toast
Sushi, I love it all
Old 07-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Seal.... takes a bit of getting used to but all those polar bears can't be wrong!!
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:59 AM   #9
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Seal.... hmmm... never had that before, was it good? Did it taste like chicken? LOL

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gruffy

Seal.... takes a bit of getting used to but all those polar bears can't be wrong!!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:21 AM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
The most bizarre food to have crossed our lips must be HAGGIS. It is the Scottish national dish and as far as we know is consumed only by Scots (and a few foolish and mislead visitors) at Robert Burns' (the Scots' national poet) birthday celebrations. Since these parties mainly are held in pubs (and the birthday happens in late January in Scotland when there is only about 5 hours of daylight) there must be extenuating circumstances which explain its continuing consumption!! After much drinking and then eating of haggis, selected Burns' poems are read. Then follows more drinking and more drinking and... I will quote a British-American dictionary. "The Scottish national dish, consisting of a sheep's entrails, with oats and other things added, sewn up in the lining of a sheep's stomach and boiled for an eternity. To an Englishman, an object of awe, astonishment, distaste and lurid speculation." Haggis may offer some explaination for the fact that many view Scots as somewhat dour. This dish could make the American national dish--a MacDonald's burger--seem positively gourmet. Since we are Scots ( you will note we go by the name Bowie--a good Scots name ) you will know we are telling the truth!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:28 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bowie,

You WIN!!

Would have to be rip roaring drunk to even contemplate eating that! OH, and in Scotland!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:57 AM   #12
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Like seal, haggis is now available in cans... can we send you folks down some for the next party????
Old 07-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Had NO IDEA that haggis is now available in cans!! What a concept! Never mind sending it--ya'll bring it on down and we'll be happy to share. It could be QUITE a party...........!!! Personally, about six good stiff belts of some Scots whiskey would be needed before the first taste goes down. But you might only neeed five as you have experience with seal. In any case, Pat is pretty good at the reading part--but what the hey--after all those drinks who would know?
Old 07-15-2004, 10:14 AM   #14
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
WOW!!! Don't think I could eat seal or haggis, But then I won't eat Calf Fries either. When our son was about 7 we were on vacation and stopped in a little place in cow town in Fort Worth Texas. ON the menu was something called calf. fries. Well he thought that meant California french fries and ordered them, well needless to say they were still on the table when we left.lol Don't think I could eat raw fish either. But I love raw oysters on crackers with hot sauce on them. We can not get them where we live.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #15
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Okay Linda--truth be known, one bite of the dang stuff was enough to last us both a lifetime and a half!! It will never ever tickle our tongues again--even after SEVEN belts of whiskey. Guessing that seal and calf fries fall in the same category.

And since this is such a fun category--has anyone ever had Marmite soldiers?? In England this is considered a treat for little kids. Marmite (a strong beefy salty tasting sort of rough textured yeast spread)is put on toast. The toast is cut into little thin rectangles and lined up all neat and tidy on the plate and served with a cup of white (milky) tea. "Now be a good child and eat your soldiers!"

Or how about crispy fried seaweed which is truthfully quite nice--a crunchy salty sweety bit of stuff which kinda melts in your mouth. That we could manage thirds of.

Gruffy--we can still party if ya come on down. But would burgers and potato salad do for ya? Sure suits our taste a bit more.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:41 AM   #16
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Well this city slicker married a rural Iowa farm boy. My first trip home to meet the family I was introduced to "hog nuts". Silly me, thought they grew on trees and were of the "walnut" family. No wonder the patty didn't have a nutty taste -- or did it??? Needless to say, when visiting the Iowa family, I don't eat any ground up meat!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Vickster, that's the same thing we call "Rocky Mountain Oysters" in Kansas.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:25 AM   #18
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
One of our local chain stores is now selling "bison burgers" ... even burgers may not be safe for tender stomachs. Then ther's another favorite of mine .... corned sheep .... have to give the beef a rest once in a while.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:54 AM   #19
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
OMG, say it ain't so! YUCK! I wouldn't eat anything I didn't know FOR SURE what it was or made it myself when I was at the in-laws. LOL

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickster

Well this city slicker married a rural Iowa farm boy. My first trip home to meet the family I was introduced to "hog nuts". Silly me, thought they grew on trees and were of the "walnut" family. No wonder the patty didn't have a nutty taste -- or did it??? Needless to say, when visiting the Iowa family, I don't eat any ground up meat!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:55 AM   #20
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
This topic is like a train wreck, it's so horrible but you have to look. LOL Just when you think it can't get any worse it does. LOL I think you have taken care of my hunger for the morning.