Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #41
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Here are some real world numbers. Our 06 was a 3500RL. We had it weighed loaded at one of the the Fall Rallies. It weighed in at 13,775 (11,250 when you remove the pin weight) with a pin weight of 2,525.

For what it's worth, we pulled that trailer out west to Yellowstone and to Alaska with no problems whatsoever with a 3500 SRW. Not trying to influence your decision one way or another. If the numbers you posted are actual, then you will be better off adding the training wheels (duals).

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #42
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As noted before, the "pull fine" posts are no help. All these diesels will "pull fine." The issue is the ability to carry the pin weight and the associated factors.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #43
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Opinions are just that, opinions. If you are serious about your safety learn how to calculate the size of the truck yourself. I'm not trying to be a wise ass but god forbid something happens at least you'll know the truck was capable of towing the trailer safely. JMHO, John

jib27537 I think you made the right choice with the DRW.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #44
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I have said it from the day I joined this forum, there are a lot of owners out there hauling their units which are overweight, on either the TV or the RV, particularly with a 2500 SRW.

The OP has made the right decision to go with the DRW, however on each and every truck there is a sticker on the drivers side door jam. It gives you the GVWR for that particular truck, also the GAWR of both front and rear axles. It does not matter what anyone else claims their truck will carry. Don't take any salesman's word either, look for yourself and make notes.

Here is a comparison of three Dodge trucks, my Son in laws 2012 - SRW - SB has a GVWR of 10,100 lbs, my daughters 2007 - DRW - SB has a GVWR of 10,500 and my 2012 - DRW - LB has a GVWR of 12,300 lbs. Read what it says on the door jam, that is what the law would read if they were too ever check you for weight.

As far as braking and stopping 24,000 or more lbs, then get a Dodge the exhaust brake on my new truck is fantastic, far superior to any Ford or GM. You still need a long distance to stop these things. Just a very important fact you need to keep in mind when hauling ass down the highway at breakneck speed.

If you have not weighed your combination then you have no idea what the weight is and if you are overweight or not...period....

Buy a new Dodge, you will be happy with that choice I am sure.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #45
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

...The OP has made the right decision to go with the DRW, however on each and every truck there is a sticker on the drivers side door jam. It gives you the GVWR for that particular truck, also the GAWR of both front and rear axles...
Actually there are two stickers...the other is the Tire and Loading Information sticker. It will give you the cargo capacity for THAT truck to the nearest one pound.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote