Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Good Sams RV Ins

Wow!!! They wanted almost $800 every 6 month. I have $486 for one year at State Farm. Why so far different?

ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I don't know how State Farm is with claims but Good Sam is the best and I don't mind paying for the best.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

I don't know how State Farm is with claims but Good Sam is the best and I don't mind paying for the best.
I am with you, paying more for something that is the best, but not for $1,200 more. Event Progressive insurance quote was $400.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I have GS and they cover our truck and fiver. $500.00 something every 6 months. I'll tell you if you are stacking your vehicles it does cost alot more. My wife talked to a girl the other day about the insurance(I can't hear)and we got it all straightend out. When she got off the phone she said that thats the way ALL people should be on the phone trying to help you. Cudos for GS Insurance. Edit.
By the way, what we pay for both truck and fiver is still cheaper than SF was on my truck alone. When SF cancelled our house insuranc a couple years ago because of the hurricanes we couldn't get the discount they give for having everything with them.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My guess is that you are probably comparing apples to oranges. The problem with RV insurance is that there are three basic types and hybrids of each. The cheapest is insurance like on your car. If you suffer a complete loss you get book value. That means if you total the rig on the way home from the dealer, even though it's new, in theory you won't get enough to buy another new one. In fact, you might but several years down the road you for sure won't. That's why it's the cheapest. The middle ground is a policy that pays replacement cost or agreed upon cost (normally what you paid for it) for a period of time (most I've seen are for 5 years) then they drop to depreciated value. The highest priced policy pays either replacement or agreed cost as long as the policy is in force (some of these even have a cost of living escalator). So if you are comparing a policy that will give you book value with one that will replace your old rig with a brand new similar rig you're going to see a big difference in pricing. Since we live in our rig, we have an agreed value policy with a cost of living escalator and it isn't cheap but if we lose our home we get a new home.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ugh

Wow!!! They wanted almost $800 every 6 month. I have $486 for one year at State Farm. Why so far different?
You might want to check that again. Sam uses Motor Insurance Company (AKA MIC and/or GMAC) and their policies are for a year, not 6 months.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
I did. Three times.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ugh

I did. Three times.
I'm not referring to the price, I'm referring to the length of coverage. I have Sam's and it is a policy written by Motor Insurance Company and is a 12 month policy. Everyone else is 6 months. And to save even more, you drop the road coverage when the trailer is stored and add it back on when you are ready to take it out.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Tom, I think Good Sam is now sending new customers to GMAC insurance and it is different. That's who they referred me to and it wasn't a deal I was willing to take, went with Blue Sky.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Just renewed ours with Good Sam/GMAC for 12 months and it was not anywhere near that price.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We had Good Sam/GMAC Insurance when we had our 2005 Montana and the price was great.
When you are not travelling and the Monty is just sitting there you only have to pay a small monthly rate, for storage rate. (can't remember what it was)

Now with the 2011 Big Sky that is a different story. Good Sam/GMAC quoted me $1300.00 a year, called Progressive and the same coverage was only $600.00 a year. Did not put the cars on it because I get that insurance cheaper with another company. This year our rates from Progressive dropped $45.00.

We also chose Progressive because now that we are retired we travel more and would not be using the storage rate thru Good Sam that much.

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Tom, I think Good Sam is now sending new customers to GMAC insurance and it is different. That's who they referred me to and it wasn't a deal I was willing to take, went with Blue Sky.
GMAC and MIC are one in the same. Mine renewed in February and it's still a one year policy where as all others are for 6 months.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Interesting! I did get the idea that the folks I was talking to had less of an idea of what I needed than I did. Maybe they were new.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #14
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Does anyone have National Interstate for their truck and RV? It looks like they specialize in RV's. With our move to SD we have been shopping and so far they seem the cheapest for the MDT and RV. Progressive is the cheapest for the car and motorcycles but they were ridiculous on the truck and RV even though we already had them for the truck and RV but we are guessing that now we are using it FT they had reason to slam us, especially on the MDT.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigboomer

Does anyone have National Interstate for their truck and RV? It looks like they specialize in RV's. With our move to SD we have been shopping and so far they seem the cheapest for the MDT and RV. Progressive is the cheapest for the car and motorcycles but they were ridiculous on the truck and RV even though we already had them for the truck and RV but we are guessing that now we are using it FT they had reason to slam us, especially on the MDT.
We had National Interstate a few years back. They're a good company and their claim service is excellent.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote