Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Storage question

I currently store my rig at a facility that is covered on four sides (back, top, and both sides) with only the nose exposed. The nose does receive a fair amount of sun, and is oxidizing. I have considered putting some kind of cover over the nose if the storage facility will let me, but don't want to generate a bunch of heat on the nose. Anyone ever done this, and if so what kind of material would you recommnend? TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Great question! We have an 05 Monty that when not in use in located in a storage area as well. The nose sticks out just a bit, but luckily faces North, so no direct sun. I am still getting some edges on the decals curling a bit. I had thought about covering it, but not sure what would be the best. I know that Sunbrella materiel is suppose to be great, but how would you cover the nose that high up???
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You could pick up breathable car covers such as Cover Craft/Evolution which I use on my truck while in Florida for the winter. The one I have for my Dooly certainly could be cut to fit the front of a Montana. If you are around a lake or boating area, always custom canvas shops around that could build to size for your front cap. Think that would be the best bet, with a velcro fastener setup.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Thanks for the input. My storage space has a large metal beam across the top above the rig. My thinking was, if I could find an appropriate material, I would obtain a piece and fasten it to the crossbeam above the trailer (with the storage facilities permission, of course), and roll it up and down like a window shade when I want to take the trailer out. I just want to find an appropriate material that will cut the UV without causing the nose to get too hot underneath it.
Any more input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Keep a good coat of Aerospace 303 on it. It has UV inhibitors and has worked well for me as far as keeping the oxidation to a minimum. Initially wash it down good, then apply the 303 every 75 days or so.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Thanks for the advice. I have only used 303 since I bought the rig new in summer of 2006. I had it detailed last week (have it done at least twice a year) and the detail guy said the sides and back were like new, he is the one who raised the question about the nose. I would still like to do something to keep the sun off the nose. Still looking for more advice.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
You could try these. We use them for shade clothes here in Fla. I alsoo use one for our ground cover and it lets water and sand thru then when we pack up it cleans off easy. Just shake. http://www.tarpsplus.com/vinyl-coated-mesh-tarps.html
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote