Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Carl and Susan 2004 Ford Heart Attack thread

I am sure that many of you have read about the "Heart Attack" that Carl and Susan's truck had, I am wondering what a fulltimer would do in a situation where their truck will be down for weeks. Does Fulltimer insurance cover a rental car for things like this? Or campground fees while waiting for repairs to be completed?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I'm not sure of the answer, but that is one of the advantages of 5er over a MH. You can still live in your trailer while mechanical repairs are made to the drive train etc.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Although not full timers we do have a policy not sure if it is the auto insurance or the road service policy that does provide for a rental car in the event of a breakdown. Think I better check that out///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
No, only your collision insurance will cover that. If your tow vehicle is not involved in an accident and is just in for major repairs, then any other transportation you get will be at your expense. Of course, there are a lot of Ford garages that will provide you with a car--at least one in Stayton, OR provided us with a loaner while our transmission was being replaced in May 2006.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know what the difference is between a full or part timer in this case (other than a part timer usually has another vehicle available).

If your truck is disabled and covered by warranty, my experience (obviously with Ford) has been pretty good. My local dealer has always provided a rental car while the truck was in the shop. Of course a rental car is not a 250/350 truck with 5th wheel capability. For my present problem, the dealer in WA declined to assist me. My local dealer however, told me to rent a car, keep all the bills, and when I get the truck back, they would submit the bills to Ford for re-reimbursement. The Ford 800 number that you call for roadside assistance offered to take the trailer to a camp ground while the truck went to the shop. In fact they sent two tow vehicles to get me. One was flatbed (for the truck), and the other was a semi (for the trailer). So conceivably, if I were a full timer, the trailer is parked in a camp spot nearby the repairing dealer and I have a rental vehicle to get back and forth with.

If you are not covered by a warranty, it will get a lot more expensive. Auto insurance only covers you (and opens the door to a rental) if you are in an accident. A mechanical break down doesn't qualify.

Perhaps an vehicle extended warranty would cover a rental but I don't know (not something I have). I am curious to hear if richfaa verifies he is covered under his road service policy. I would consider buying that policy if I get to point where I am not covered by a vehicle warranty (which ain't gonna happen on this truck!!).

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

.......OR provided us with a loaner while our transmission was being replaced in May 2006.

Orv
Seems to be a trend here.

Sorry Carl, couldn't resist.

OldGuard....did you read that?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625

Seems to be a trend here.

Sorry Carl, couldn't resist.

OldGuard....did you read that?

Well I guess if your Dodge does ever makes it to 12 years of age, and doesn’t need any work done to it the rest of us may look at a Dodge? Sure looks like a 12 year old Ford is still going strong!!!!
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm not sure about the rental car or for how long it would be covered. However, on the campground fees, keep in mind that as fulltimers we are paying campground fees for every day whether the truck is in the shop or not. So there's no additional cost for cg.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also, fulltimers insurance is much like renters insurance on a stick home. It's mostly liability. Rental car would be part of the truck's insurance package. Different companies have different options so you might see what yours offers. We'd probably end up renting unless we're near our kids and can borrow a car or unless the dealer provides a loaner.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote