Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Big Sky Disappointed

Went to look at the Big Sky and were disappointed. Inside couldn't walk around bed ceiling to low. To much plastic around the trim and less cabinet space. We were very surprised, at the storage in the basement about half the size of our basement, pull valves for black/grey tanks not in a good location and the size of the tanks, we have a black, grey, galley and a fresh water. And all the drain pipes were exposed. Just could have been better. And the weight, 16,001 our Cambridge is 16,900. It does have a great shower, and nice work station and the Fridge is great. I also think the bedroom Tv should have been a LCD also. With a MSRP of $82,000 +????? And I know it can be got for less..... We have decided to keep our Cambridge, we just don't think for the money we can replace it. Now this is just our opinion and in no way would want to upset anyone. We think Keystone could have done better, after living in our Cambridge full time I know Keystone can do better....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Agree,

We drove down and looked at the Big Sky yesterday. There were some things we really liked, but just as many (the D/W says "more") we did not like. I think the new improvements have been well documented...what we did not care for:

-vertical blinds on rear window.
-loss of space with the stackable w/d.
-loss of storage in exchange for the larger window at the table.
-high gloss counter top.
-loss of the kitchen window.
-and the loss of head room in the bedroom...how did that happen?

Other comments...the D/W loved the microwave, and it's down where she can see inside. Seems weight will be a problem. Using the standard guide line of 15% to 25% for PW, the minimum PW would be 2400, to a max of 4000.

If they were side by side and we had to choose...I think we'd still go with the 3400.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Delaine and Lindy -

Let's keep the apples in the apple basket - Keystone stopped production of the luxury Cambridge after only two years due to poor sales in the market they were targeting. The Big Sky was not resurrected to replace the Cambridge or they would be back in the same market they chose to get out of. Rather, the Big Sky was intented to hit midway between the Montana and the Cambridge line, similar to where it was before.

To replace your Cambridge - you'll have to look at some other Manufacture in the same class.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I also agree, seen the Big Sky at the KC RV show with Mudchief and his wife. We were both disappointed. I even posted a thread down on what you would tell Keystone. I think they should have waited to bring the BIG SKY BACK, until they could get it RIGHT. I sometimes wonder WHO they have designing these units. It really has to be someone that has never used one.or lived in one for any lenght of time. I think that should be one of the first requirements, to become responsible for designing something like this. I was expecting the Big Sky to come out STANDING TALL. Sad to say the first impression is the BLURRED GRAPHIC'S and it just got worse from there. I am starting to think that the person in charge of design in the nephew of the President and has never camped or had a real job his whole life!!!! I'll keep my 05, and hope that they are listening or maybe send for about ten to twenty of us and turn us loose up there in the Factory and see what we come up with,, I can bet you it would be a WINNER.... Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I admit I was underimpressed at first but after going through the unit on 3 different times it is starting to grow on me. I still stand behind my first impression it is a 3400 with fancier graphics and better interior(no flowers).
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I agree with Lindy on the new Big Sky. While it is nice, it sure has fallen short. If I were in the market to buy my first Montana, I would buy the Big Sky instead. I would not go out and trade my 3400RL in for the BS. There just is not enough "improvements" and "features" other than the larger axles (which now I can get on the Montana) to justify $82,000.

I would have to disagree with Brad on comparing apples to apples. The Big Sky IS in the same class as the Cambridge for the following reasons:

The Big Sky and the Cambridge have the same things in common:

1. high density residential sculpted carpet
2. high polished counters
3. full body hi-gloss including basement doors
4. same raised arch roof profile
5. different aluminum wheels
6. larger axles (all Montana's do now)
7. "safety view" rear lighting
8. the end cap on the new Big Sky is the same cap that was on the Cambridge
9. designer upholstery
10. Large 32" flat screen tv
11. recessed pocket lighting underneath overhead cabinets
12. no kitchen slide window
13. water closet window
14. large double door 12 cu ft fridge
15. residential size appliances/mircrowave
16. upgraded faucets and fixtures throughout coach
17. 12 gallon water heater
18. systems monitor panel and switch location
19. 100 amp power converter
20. rear electric jacks
21. high flow water pump
22. electric patio awning
23. upgraded recliners
24. Mor/ryde kingpin
25. porcelain toilet
26. upgraded shower surround
27. the basement all in one convenience center (the Cambridge had this before any Montana's did)
28. upgraded light fixtures throughout coach
29. curio cabinet
30. Mor/ryde suspension (standard on all Montana's now)

This list is just a few of the many standard features that were already in place on the Cambridge that came over into the new Big Sky. Some of them were also incorporated into the Montana as well. The Cambridge was in production less than 2 years; I am not sure how anyone could have made a decision based about how the market is purchasing a newly designed coach with less than 20 months of production. My dealership had 4 in inventory and all were sold within 1 week of hitting the sales lot. By the time I decided I wanted one, it was too late. Production had stopped on the Cambridge due to FEMA trailer production had started in the Cambridge plant. I could not order one at that time. Dealerships who had them in stock were not willing to dealer trade as they were selling like wild throughout the west, midwest, and southwest. I just spent 15 minutes searching dealerships for the 340RLQ Big Sky and found the many have the asking price over $82,000. This is much higher than dealers were selling the Cambridge for. Granted, the new Big Sky is much lighter and has a few less features than the Cambridge did but, overall if the price point is the same, the class is the same... Just my 2 cents worth...

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I guess if you continue to look at the Big Sky as a Cambridge, you will continue to be dissapointed in the Big Sky.

Although perceived that the Cambridge sold well through a few Dealers, the factory rep at the show explained to us it was too heavy and too expensive to build to continue, and sales were less than hoped. The Big Sky picked up some of the Cambridge features, but not all, and was introduced into the fleet as an upgrade to Montana, not as a Cambridge economy model.

Prices will settle - the demand is much higher than the supply right now due to limited production. With the Cambridge listed at $93 back in 2005, and the Montana now listed at near $66, the Big Sky will settled somewhere inbetween just like its class.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not look at the Big Sky as a Cambridge. The Big Sky was already in the fleet when the Cambridge went into production. I reiterate my original comment; it is my opinion, but the Big Sky is in the same class as the Cambridge. Funny how the rep at your show tells you one thing, while reps at other shows were saying the complete opposite. The weight of the Cambridge was a drawback, but the features far outweighed it. None the less, I was just hoping to see more creature comforts and features on the Big Sky than what is there.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The list of features for the Big Sky were published by Keystone two months before production, so I guess I don't understand the dissapointment or mystery.

For those that have ordered the Big Sky sight unseen - congatulations on your choice and happy times in your new rig. For those looking for more....there are other brands.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
A list means nothing. It is only a bunch of sales hype! I usually try and hold my opinions of a product until I see the finished product. Forgive those of us who do not agree with your Brad. I was merely expressing my opinion on the new coach.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Funny how different Keystone reps tell different stories on why the Cambridge went away. We were at the Montana Factory at just about the time they stopped production of the Cambridge. Our story was that the Cambridge was aimed toward a certain market niche and they did not purchase as anticipated.Now we thought the Cambridge was way above the standard Montana in quality, workmanship, fit and finish and still do.Also IMO I don't think Keystone gave the Cambridge enough time to establish the niche intended.I also thought at the time they introduced the Cambridge that although it was several steps above the Montana it was also priced to far above the Montana. Most folks do not look at quality but rather price. My feeling is that the new Big Sky will also not meet sales expectations because as the Cambridge was far above the Montana the Big sky is to much like the Montana. Most Folks are not going to spend the extra Dollars on something that looks little different than the standard Montana.What did the Big sky in before will do it in again. They needed to build a better coach that was distinctive from the Montana..I don't know what Keystone was thinking but I wish them the best of luck..I will say this..If I was buying a 3400 now as a full timer/long timer I would have to seriously consider the Big sky as it has many features attractive to the Full timer/long timer,(including the eye candy)However now having a 3400 the Big Sky would not meet upgrade criteria.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm just a little sensitive for those "family" members on this forum that have invested a lot of money and made the jump for the Big Sky, some without even seeing one yet. They are just as excited as any other proud new RV owner.

I've tried to defend the Big Sky for those new owners on this thread since it started, as I really don't understand the need to run a negative opion thread about any model. We looked at several new models before buying ours, and there were many I didn't like, but I didn't see the purpose of posting my dissapointments.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, and that's just my opinion.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Wait a minute, loss of headroom in the bedroom??? As said before "how did that happen"? Having not seen one yet I am just trying to picture in my mind what the difference is.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
I have to say I think this is the first time that you and I agree on something!!! (I knew it would happen...)

I am not sure how expressing our opinions on a certain coach, floor plan or options should "hurt" any of our members feelings. The open honesty about things like that is what used to make this club so enjoyable. We were able to share our thoughts, opinions, desires, and feelings about things without the worry of "hurt feelings" or having arguments that would cause admin to lock a thread. (I think there have been more threads locked or deleted over the past 6 months than there has been in the past 2.5 years of my membership) Just because I do not like something in no way means that it is not the perfect fit for someone else. In fact, I was one of the first members here to really promote the come back of the Big Sky and was all set to trade in on one. I was also one of the first members here to own the new 3400RL floor plan. Does that mean if members do not have a 3400RL then their coach is wrong or I am putting them down?? No; it only means that the 3400RL did not fit their wants and needs. I am not offended that they did not agree with me.

To anyone who has purchased a new Big Sky, I congratulate you on your purchase. I am sure your new coach will provide you as many happy miles as my two Montana's have me. I apologize if my thoughts and opinions on a certain coach or floor plan has upset any of you in any way. Know that you bought the coach that fit your needs, wants, and desires. Travel safe and travel well my friends....

Brad,
I guess you and I are just not going to see eye to eye on things. I respect your opinions and thoughts and further welcome your input to the MOC. I also hope your new 3400RL provides you many years of enjoyment.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Darmar,
The new BS has a lower profile roof line than the Montana. It is only 12'6" according to specs from Keystone. That was one of the first things I noticed when I walked into the bedroom, I hit my head on the ceiling before the foot of the bed. There is no way for me to walk around the bed without ducking. (I stand 6' tall)
Old 03-31-2007, 03:41 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
As I said before that we were disappointed with the BS because we thought Keystone had a chance to enhance the BS and keep it at a great price range. Believe me the headroom is not there in the bedroom, I'm 6'2" and in noway can I walk around the bed, and since I help to make up the bed each and every morning it just wouldn't work for me. As for MSRP, on the Cambridge it was $84,600, and the Cambridge was selling in the $60's when it was first at RV shows. We were very upset with Keystone for discontinuing the Cambridge, they made 300 + units. We were told that they had put so much in the Cambridge that the targeted market wasn't willing to spend that much??? I do have a problem with that answer, every Cambridge was sold. The Cambridge is a very heavy unit, even with 7,000 lb axles, but the weight between the BS and the Cambridge is 800 lbs? I think that comes from the on board tanks being larger in the Cambridge. I also believe that you shouldn't have to defend any unit you buy. If it fits and you like it buy it. We will keep our Cambridge, because it fits our needs. We had to trade three times in less than 1.5 years to get the 5er we now have. Good Luck and hope all will be safe this week-end the weather is going to be bad. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #17
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Jo-Anna and I got a very long tour of the Big Sky plant yesterday--the first tour they have given. WOW--sure feel I learned a lot. My focus was mostly on what is under the floors and behind the walls--I'll post the results in a separate thread a little later on.

As for this thread, Jo and I hadn't noticed the lower headroom in the bedroom--guess it's lucky that the two of us are both 5'10", not 6'. The factory rep did talk about the greater arch to the roofline in front--guess that's what caused the lower bedroom ceiling.

As for prices for the Big Sky, they seem to be all over the lot--probably because the product is new and in short supply. I was able to get our dealer to come below $50,000 for the unit with all mandatory options, freight, dealer prep, and everything but sales tax. I know that other members have gotten similar prices from two other dealers. Now if I was being hit with a price in the $60K range, I'd probably want to see more in the rig. As it it, for what Jo and I are looking for, in our opinion the Big Sky 340 was worth the extra $7,000 or so. Glad Keystone expanded our options by offering the Big Sky, but understand why others, with different needs, would continue to prefer the 3400. As for the Cambridge, I'm a bit worn out by the decision making process, so in one respect I'm glad Keystone didn't complicate things for me by reintroducing the Cambridge now as well. LOL!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote