Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
For those that do their own oil changes

These Fumoto valves are incredible. They drain your crankcase completely and make oil changes a walk in the park. I have used them for years on my diesel engines and gas engines. I have 3 of them on family vehicles right now. I like the model without the nipple as less likely to hit anything. If you go off road and you are worried a branch could open the valve (highly unlikely) you can put a small 5/8th screw hose clamp on the valve body. I do this on my truck but don't bother on the cars.
http://www.fumotousa.com/main.htm

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I second that. Open the valve walk away for a few minutes close the valve and refill. Change filter. No worry about dropping plug or stripping threads. I recomend installing with Locktite retaining compound. Stops leaks and the valve will not come out.

Rick & Wanda R.
2005 F250SD Lariat 4DR.
6.0 Powerstroke
2005 Mountaineer 328RLS
Sulphur Springs, Texas
Kids: Lexus and Sunshine
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
Wrenchtraveler: Thanks for the info, that is the neatest thing I have seen for awhile. I have always changed my own oil and I hope I can continue to do that, when we go full time. This little drain valve would help tremendously. Thanks again for this post.
ksboy

ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ksboy, I have yet to find an rv park that will allow you to change oil in the park. When we started fulltiming I also had to start paying to have someone else change the oil. With this diesel holding 15 quarts of oil, finding a container big enough to hold it and be able to tote it to a disposal site would also be a challenge.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I started looking for an improved way to keep the oil off of the skid plate sitting directly below the drain plug when draining our Duramax.

I've used the Fram "Sure Drain" for the past 4 years. While I'm not much of a fan of Fram filters, I do find this gadget works very well for me. I just put the end of the hose into a gallon milk/water jug. (I set the jug in a regular oil drain pan - since I learned the hard way that those jugs are mighty thin and can rupture when filled with hot oil!)

Then it is just a simple matter to tighten the special hose/fitting by hand, and oil flows until I loosen the hose again. By using a small rag to cover the end, I can switch to another jug without spilling a drop. Remove it and replace the cap and then it is off to the recycle center. No wrenches required once it is installed.

The flow is fairly slow, but I believe I get a good drain by doing it when the oil is hot. I carry the special hose/fitting in case I need to do a change when traveling.

I picked it up at Walmart. Here's a link that explains it much better - along with pictures.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/article_framsuredrain.html

Russ

Russ & Sandy
CO
03 Montana 2955RL 02 Chevy 2500HD D/A
4X4 Ext Cab SB White, Prodigy, Lucerix,
Owens in bed box, Rhino, Reese 16k slide,
DeeZee R/B, Bilsteins, Xtang tonneau
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
SREIGLE: Wally World carries a plastic 16 quart drain pan that you can seal up and empty at any AutoZone or O'Reilly autoparts store. They charge you zip, as they make money selling the waste oil to outside oil recyclers. Tractor Supply or Orschlens sells Rotella cheaper than anyone in my area. The Motorcraft filter can be had at Wally World also for around $9. Now if you can just find a place to perform the task!

Kansas
2005 2980RL
2000 F-350 Powerstroke dually
Banks 4" SS exhaust / Superchip Tuner
Pillar mount boost / pyro guages
coolant filter
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Dieselguy. RV Parks still will not allow oil changes in the park, though. Since we're fulltimers it's not a matter of waiting until we "get home." I was unaware of those big bags but that sounds good.

The filter for the 6.0 is a bit more expensive. It's about $19 at Walmart and twice that at Ford. FL-2016 is the number. I use Rotella T synthetic so will check out Orscheln's and Tractor Supply. I've been known to take in my own oil and filter for an oil change before. Thanks for that tip.

Russ, interesting product. Thanks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Dieselguy. RV Parks still will not allow oil changes in the park, though. Since we're fulltimers it's not a matter of waiting until we "get home." I was unaware of those big bags but that sounds good.

The filter for the 6.0 is a bit more expensive. It's about $19 at Walmart and twice that at Ford. FL-2016 is the number. I use Rotella T synthetic so will check out Orscheln's and Tractor Supply. I've been known to take in my own oil and filter for an oil change before. Thanks for that tip.

Russ, interesting product. Thanks.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-27-2006, 01:26 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Been there. Done That. Don't do it no mo.

When I was a whole lot younger I did my own lube, oil and filter. As I got older I figured it was a whole lot easier to have someone do it for me while I sit in their waiting room drinking their coffeee, eating their donuts and watching their TV and when it was all said done I was still as clean as when I started.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:55 AM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Everyone is different. My dear old Dad will be 80 tomorrow, He still enjoys changing his own oil.

I hope I can be so lucky.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Happy Birthday to your Dad, Don. That's good to hear he is able to change oil at his age.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thank Steve, I appreciate that. How soon before you take delivery of your new 3400?
I think the 3400 is a beautiful unit. We went through one a while back and both Donna and I were very impressed. Take care.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I've been changing my own oil since the early 70s, and would not even consider using one of those Fumoto things...and miss out on all that hot oil running down my arm, under my shirt, inside my gloves, and getting all over the driveway (even with the papers, etc spread out)! In days past, I have turned a 10 minute oil change into an hour's clean up project.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #14
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Sreigle,
I found Wally World in several locations has been carrying Shell Rotella T Synthetic for around $14 a gallon. I found this to be just about the cheapest price around.

EagleRunner

Tom & Nancy
TV: 2005 Silverado HD-2500 Crew-cab Duramax/Allison
5er: 2005 2955RL
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote