Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quick charge feature on 55 amp convertor.

I was reading some wiring problems that some people have had over on the problem forum so I just spent an hour going over my 06 2955RL. I am not an electrician by trade but I wired the house I am living in 28 years ago and we are both still here so I did something right.

Anyway I am happy to say, everything I could see looked pretty well done and places where the wires went through the metal wall were all protected and that was one of the problems someone had with wire rubbing. I could see none of that.

I did notice that the 55 amp convertor has a jack in it for quick charging batteries. This jack looks like a heavy duty phone plug and a label beside it says to only leave the cord plugged in while quick charging. Has anyone ever used this feature? I looked in all the literature that came with my Montana and there is no mention of this 55 amp convertor which is very quiet and does not hum like some convertors I have had in other RVs.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you have the same Iota converter that we have, there is a mention of it in the little owners manual that should come with it. I read about it too, and decided it was something that I wanted. I ordered one over the internet, but it has not arrived yet. I'll post some more when it comes.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I added one of the smart controlers to my Iota and have had no problems with the batteries overcharging or going dry. We leave the trailer plugged in all summer when not camping. The unit only cost $20-25 and plugs in.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
rvivey
Established Member

M.O.C. #5060
I also installed the IQ4 charge controler. While boondocking in Quartzsite it was taking about 8 hours to recharge my 4 Trojon T105 batteries each day. I was using about 100 amp hours each day. I ordered and installed the IQ4 and my charge time went to about 2-3 hours to recoup the daily amp useage. I was using the Honda 2000 to charge the batteries through the converter.
It's a must have item to help maintain your batteries.

"This jack looks like a heavy duty phone plug and a label beside it says to only leave the cord plugged in while quick charging."
This is referring to a jumper that you can use in the plug for fast charging. The IQ4 is left in at all times. Iota provides this jumper but I guess Keystone does not leave it with the RV. At least I couldn't find it.
rvivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
rvivey, can you explain this IQ4 a liitle better to me. I am somewhat familiar with converters, but this is new to me. I know that I will want 4 T105s eventually, so your post definitely caught my attention. Is this what Wrenchtraveller has?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
No, I am just talking about the convertor that came with my Montana.
I like the sound of these IQ4,s and would like to know how they are hooked up and more on how they work, the same info that Dave would like. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
This item is an optional extra, it does not come with the stock converter. It is described on the Iota website at http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm

Basicly it monitors the battery voltage, and adjusts the charging voltage according to the need. Full charge with a low battery, trickle charge with a full battery. Actually it is a bit better that that, but that is the general idea.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:54 AM   #8
rvivey
Established Member

M.O.C. #5060
If you go to the site OntMont suggest it pretty much explains it.
Simple installation, just plug it in the jack on the Iota converter and forget it.
For the cost, you can't beat it.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
rvivey - I'm not a boondocker, so I need some clarification also. Are you saying that you can run the generator 2-3 hours per day to fully recharge the battery from the day's usage ??
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Just one other point, there are two optional accesories, a "Fast Charger" and a "Smart Charger". Both would probably charge your batteries quicker, but for small additional cost, I think the Smart Charger is the way to go, it will improve the overall performance and longevity of your battery.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #11
rvivey
Established Member

M.O.C. #5060
VanMan,
Quartzsite was my first real venture into "boondocking" so I clearly have limited experience. I learned first off that you need the know what is happening with your batteries. In order to accomplish this you need some way to monitor the batteries. I purchased a Link 10 and installed it in the bathroom right beside the power panel. It's a great device. It tells you what your battery voltage is, the amps you are either taking from or putting into your batteries and how many hours you have left before you should recharge the batteries. One note of caution, you won't be able to stay out of the bathroom checking out what is going on with the batteries. The new does wear off after a while.
For several weeks I averaged using between 70 and 100 amp hours each day (and night). Without the IQ4 I had to run the Honda 2000 around 8 hours to put the amp hours back that I used. The Link 10 shows you where you are in the charging cycle by showing you how many amp hours you need to put back to reach full charge. With the IQ4 it only took between 2 and 3 hours to get back to full charge by replacing the amp hours I used. Also, the converter without the IQ4 takes a very long time to put back the last few amp hours.
A long answer to say yes to your question.
By the way, my power useage was from running the TV, satelite TV, satelite Internet, lights and other power devices. The 120 volts came from a Xantrex 1750 inverter.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
OntMont, thanks for the great link. I am going to find an RV dealer that can order me this smart charge unit.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just got home. Thanks for the assist, guys. Great help!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #14
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
rvivey, could you give us some more info on the Link 10? Where did you get it? cost?, installation? Sounds like something I need.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:01 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvivey

... Without the IQ4 I had to run the Honda 2000 around 8 hours to put the amp hours back that I used. The Link 10 shows you where you are in the charging cycle by showing you how many amp hours you need to put back to reach full charge. With the IQ4 it only took between 2 and 3 hours to get back to full charge by replacing the amp hours I used. Also, the converter without the IQ4 takes a very long time to put back the last few amp hours.
A long answer to say yes to your question.
By the way, my power useage was from running the TV, satelite TV, satelite Internet, lights and other power devices. The 120 volts came from a Xantrex 1750 inverter.
rvivey, I have some questions...

1. If you had 2 Hondas 2000s, would that make any difference in the recharge rate you were experiencing?

2. I also am interested in this Link 10 info... your personal input, also, on it.

3. Is the Xantrex 1750, something that was standard equipment on your Montana? Or did you order that extra? And why?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-21-2006, 03:48 AM   #16
rvivey
Established Member

M.O.C. #5060
Looks like WrenchTraveller has his answer so I don't feel like I'm hiacking his thread.
I purchased the Link 10 in Quartzsite from Solar Bill's for $250.00. You can find it on the Internet for much less. I was in the desert and would have had a problem getting one delivered. I was originally looking for the TriMetric meter which is very similar. I'm very satisified with the Link 10. It's easy to use and understand. A pdf file of the manual is here http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/72/docserve.asp.
The installation was relatively simple for the Montana 3475. I removed the power panel in the bathroom and fished a string down the wall. the string ends up right under the steps to the bedroom. By removing the step panel and access panel in the basement compartment you can route the wires to the front compartment of the RV where the batteries are. I was supprised how easy it went. I used a hole saw and cut a hole next to the power panel and mounted the Link 10. Looks nice.
I purchased the Xantrex 1750 from Camping World for $249 on sale. I fulltime and I needed a source of AC power for my satelite Internet connection. I have a software business and I must have Internet access at all times.
I mounted the 1750 inverter in the front basement compartment. The batteries are in a sealed plastic container with a vent to the outside for safety. I also mounted a remote switch for the inverter in the bedroom on the side of the bed. This allows me to cut it on and off without having to go outside.
As a side note, the inverter will run the microwave but really takes the power from your batteries. I normally wait until the generator is running.
I'm not sure if two generators would charge any faster...
All in all, I believe I have a nice setup for occasional boondocking. Solar panels would be nice if you plan on boondocking for extended periods of time.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #17
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
exactly where is this located in the 3475. In bathroon I see the circut breaker panel but when reading the booket in my packet It mentions pluging it in to three prong outlet and connecting it to the battery's. (the IOTA DLS converter)??

Ps. Having a brian F*** here
ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote