Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
k4fij

M.O.C. #4984
Montana Newby Question

Hi everyone... We're currently researching 5th wheels. I'm retired USAF and will retire from my current (2nd) career in about 7 years. We hope to do lots of research and jump in with a purchase in 4-5 years with plans to fulltime when I retire. So far we're impressed with the Montanas. We like everything about them except one thing... the bathroom sink/vanity is in the bedroom. Have Montanas always been this way? For those of you who own this setup, how has it been to live with? Thanks for all the great information on this site... you all really seem to be a happy family. Cheers! Jim & Denyse

k4fij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
First of all welcome to the forum.

I do not know if it has always been like this, but we have a privacy door that we can close between the bed and the bath area. It has never been a problem for us.

As for this being one happy family, you sure got that right. I have not met a member of the forum that has not treated me as a part of their family and we do the same.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have not found this to be of any major concern. I actually like having the sink area seperate from the rest, if there is more than one person trying to get ready there is usually one at the sink/vanity and the other is in the shower or watercloset. I also have the privacy curtain that seperates the bed from the shower/water closet. If I have overnight guests I just have them use the sink in the kitchen. Seems to work well enough for the guests and myself. Welcome to the MOC and enjoy doing the research on all the fifth wheels on the market.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Welcome, Jim! You will discover that this forum will save you a TON of money and pain, by learning from OTHER people's experiences. Many of us here belong to other RV organizations and we post on other forums (and they are good organizations). However, this is truely our "Home". We really are family here. You will not get the close camaraderie anywhere else that you get here. We don't always agree with each other, but you will see very little berating and putdown arguing that prevails all too often on these other forums. Welcome! You're going to love this!

Now for your question. I, too, was unsure about the lav in the BR area. However, it has proven itself to be a practical solution over the years, and I have not heard any members/owners complain about it's placement.

Now, if you really want a lavatory setup... how about dual husband/wife sinks, PLUS one in the water closet? Carriage/Royal International makes a 38' 5th wheel called the Monaco. I believe the price was $253,000 (plus or minus). Dave (Montana Sky) just checked on it after a discussion we were having on one of these threads a couple days ago. Great Lav setup! Oh, and by the way (BTW), your tv (tow vehicle) will NOT be anything resembling a pickup of ANY size, if you know what I mean... think BIG RIG (BIG $$$ ). I'm not knocking this... as soon as I win the PowerBall lottery, you all will be talking this way about ME.

I like the Montana lav just fine... and a 3/4 ton diesel.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
We have no problem with the location of the sink. There is a privacy door on ours also. We could not be any more satisfied with our Montana!
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Same here with us, we can close the pocket door in the bedroom area, and seperate that area from the vanity, and the Jon is still seperat from that with a door and we have another pocket door at the stairs that can seperate that hole area from the rest of the trailer. we are comfortable with ours.

TT2
Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
dsprik (Dave)~
It just so happens sitting right here infront of me is a 2006 Royals International brochure that I was flipping through while reading your post. (Great minds think alike). I will admit I am going to look into getting that new Flexsteel leather home theater seating and hide a bed sofa that is found in the Royals, Carriage, and I have now seen it in the new Hitchiker 5th wheels. I like the recliners in the Montana but they are pretty heavy and cumbersome to move.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I saw that, too Dave. That should drain at least one savings account... Are those Flexsteel chairs any lighter? Let me know if you get them, how you like them. Are those the ones that have speakers built in?

Dave
Old 12-06-2005, 11:49 PM   #9
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
And as you can also see, we sometimes get off the subject just like those converstaions at the holidays, but anyway, welcome to our large extended family. The bathroom set up is not a problem. We like everyone else do not have a problem with the set up. Being an old military man from the days before privacy, I for one, do not want anyone with me when I am doing my business, so the set up is fine with me.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by k4fij

So far we're impressed with the Montanas. We like everything about them except one thing... the bathroom sink/vanity is in the bedroom. Have Montanas always been this way?
To answer your original question, NO, Montanas have not always been that way. I think our '05 3670RL may be the last one they made with a separate bathroom and bedroom. Later '05 models had the "bathroom in the bedroom" set-up, which we do not like. There is a big divide between those who do, and do not, like the new bedroom/bathroom arrangement. It does allow for a bigger bed, but for us, it is not a trade-off we would want to make.

If you are not considering a purchase for a few years, just watch and wait, the way Keystone changes things to keep ahead of the pack, things may be completely different again in five years.

Welcome to the Forum, ask questions, for sure you will get answers!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
We had a fifth wheel with the same bedroom/bath setup as our new Montana 15 years ago and we went to a bunk bed model fifth wheel when the kids got bigger so everyone would have a made up bed.

The bunk bed model had a large rear bathroom and we sure missed the bed/bathroom set up with the separate sink. Both my wife and I would never want to go back to a unit with a one room bathroom.

Women don't like to be rushed when they put on thier make up and the bed/bath set up frees up the john and keeps it separate and private. I think most people agree that the Montana bathroom setup is very user friendly for couples that travel alone. If you take friends or family with you a lot, the one room baths might work better.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:48 AM   #12
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
We have just purchased an '06 Montana Mountaineer329RLS and it has a separate bathroom area.
Not a full blown Montana, but close.

Jim

PS: Watch out for the tire brand!!! J.

jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkbutler

And as you can also see, we sometimes get off the subject just like those converstaions at the holidays, but anyway, welcome to our large extended family.
That is call "Hijacking a thread", Jim. It helps when you're ADD. Some of us have to check ourselves all the time. We then apologize (Sorry ) and either get back on the subject, or go start a new topic (thread).

Now that I've given that demonstartion, I'll will emphasize that I think it's important to note that in four months of my own Montana specific research here on MOC, I have NEVER come across anyone bemoaning the fact that they DIDN'T like the bedroom/lavatory/water closet setup.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:33 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We like the set up in our 3400. Lots of room when you get out of the shower to get dressed. With just 2 people (who are friendly) there really isn't any problem. Our previous unit had the shower with the toilet and it was very crowded. Besides when you are retired you are not suppose to be having to get ready and be on time somewhere every day like when you are working.
BTW Welcome to the forum - you are going to love it.
Happy trails............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
k4fij

M.O.C. #4984
Wow, you guys and gals are the greatest! I never thought we'd get this kind of response. We'll keep looking and studying. If we're going to full-time we want to be sure we get a quality unit. I know there are many "high end" units out there (i.e., Teton) but they seem very expensive (and heavy!). I've been told going the custom route may be a good thing, with Trailer Units, Inc. as one of the good ones. Anyway, we have a lot to learn about construction methods and figuring out the well-built ones and the flimsy flyers. It'll be fun... hope you all don't mind us coming in occasionally with some questions. Again, thanks.
k4fij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
k4fij,

That's why this forum was such a huge part of my Montana purchase decision. If you are on the road and something happens, you have several dozen MOC "family" members who are right there on the other side of your keyboard to help. This is the largest and most "proactive" owners forum out there, as far as I have been able to find.

In fact there are some members here who actually now own OTHER brand 5vers, but just don't get the support found here, so they hang around as MOC members. Now if that's not a ringing endosement for the kind of help you get here, I don't know what is!

Dave
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #17
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Have the vanity/sink in the bedroom area and it has not been a problem. We like it that way.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #18
tundra rose
Established Member

M.O.C. #1359
The bathroom configuration was a primary factor for us to choose the Montana. We did not like the cramped bathrooms in our prior TTs. As noted earlier, those of us with Montanas that have the pocket doors can separate the main bed from the rest of the area when needed, the few times that we have guests.
tundra rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #19
Oregon Gypsys
Established Member

M.O.C. #2110

Hi:
My wife and I had the same concern as we have grandkids stay
with us.
I suggest you consider the 3685FL. We are pleased with ours.
Welcome to the club. I certainly agree with the others about
the help and friendliness on this forum.
Good luck with whichever model you choose.
Glenn

Oregon Gypsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:31 AM   #20
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Our first 5er had a one room bath--hated it as there was only room for one person in there unless the other one stood in the tub. We really like the separate potty room--and like the others have said the dividers are there between the living area and/or bed area.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote