Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Garmin 2720 GPS - User comments?

Seriously considering getting the Garmin 2720 GPS for Christmas. Any of the Forum folks have any user experience yet with it? Pros or cons?

Thanks

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:22 AM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I am trying to find some info on the micrsoft streets program for my laptop. I have been on the net but all I find is dealer info,which is not always true.In the new trailer life a fellow rv,r purchased a CoPilot Live Laptop 8. for $311 and was not happy.He said some locations were off by about a mile. He also said it listed a lot of motels which we are not interested in while a lot of restaurants were missing . The program owner said it looked like a work in progress rather than a finished product. He could not get his money back and even trailer life could do him no good because he was over the 30 day warranty,some do not even offer a warranty.Good Luck.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:11 AM   #3
Ormee and Ginette
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #262
Just found on another website that Garmin is now coming out with a new big screen GPS it is model 7200... It is due out and available in December 2005 and sells for 1695 US $ but it is available at GPS City for 1195 US $... Here is the link http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-s...tem/sp7200.htm
Ormee and Ginette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:16 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I don't know PJ, I was looking at this unit, too. I 'll watch the comments here. Actually there was a thread a while ago on GPS units, but can't remember how specific it was to the 2720s.

Oh... and while we're at it, what up with the Trailer Life 2006 RV Mapping CD's? I am assuming that they are NOT GPS compatible??? I am looking for a gps compatible mapping program, too, Old Turbo. Haven't checked thoroughly... maybe this new TL mapping program is gps compatible... just didn't mention it in the initial ad.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:57 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have been using the Copilot Live 8 (upgraded to 9 but haven't tried it yet) and I think its a pretty good program for a laptop version. I think all of the GPS technologies have their little problems but overall, this has worked out pretty well. I chose the laptop version because of price and the fact that our laptop travels with us anyway. The biggest issue for me has been that Copilot claims to route you around low bridges, if your in RV mode, but after experimenting a little I found that they only have highway bridges in the database. They don't perform this function well with back roads which is where you need it the most.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think if you will do a search here on the forum on GPS, you will find a lot of information. We use Earthmate from Delorme and their software. I know Steve R uses both Street Atlas (Delorme) and Streets and Trips?? from Microsoft. I have the Trailer Life program which is suppose to be GPS compatible but I haven't tried it with the GPS because their directions are really bad. The only thing I use it for is to find campgrounds. I won't buy it again. Our Earthmate plugs into the computer and only cost a little over $100. We love it.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sue, the TL 2006 CDs (2) are what I was asking about. I can't find the mailing right now, but I think that Cheryl told me they were offering them for around $35?? Your opinion of LAST years edition was not very good though, correct? And you don't really believe they would make enough improvements on their program to make worth spending any money on, right?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I use the MS Streets and Trips w/GPS on my laptop. It's last year's model with no voice, but was certainly cheap enough after a rebate from Best Buy. I think it was about $49 (and hard to find at the time !)
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the Garman GPS 18 with voice.It plugs into your laptop.We like it because of the BIG screen.All of them have their pro's and cons but they all work well and do the job.We realy prefer the units that intergrate with your laptop for two reasons..1.They are less expensive..under 150.00 last year..2. For those of us a little weak of eye you get a nice large screen presentation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:52 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'll ditto the "weak of eye" thing, Rich. I need a big screen, too. I do not need glasses to drive, but I do need reading glasses. Any fine detail inside the vehicle are difficult to make out (Cheryl claims that includes the speedometer sometimes. I agree with her, but I really have no problem reading that... just gives me a good excuse). I would like a big screen for map details.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
TL CD's are way overpriced for a campground finder and yes the directions are horrible. I tried it first on routes I knew. They have you getting off freeways and then back on a mile down the road for no apparent reason. Rand Mcnalley's Street Finder (I got it free when I bought my computer at Best Buy) is really better than TL. It interfaces with GPS but I have not tried it for that. IMHO I wouldn't waste my money on TL.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ditto on the TL CD..It is poorly put together..don't waste your $. a friend gave me one and after checking it out I gave the CD to Helen for her Craft projects.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Sue & Rich for your input. I'm glad I checked. Rich, I think if Helen breaks those CDs into small pieces, they make a nice mosiac. Although $35 is expensive for that... maybe Sue would donate hers...
On my Mac I used Street Altas (DeLorme) it was pretty good, but they quit supporting the Apple product and when I moved to OS X, they told me, "Sorry, we don't make one for that and we're not going to."
Old 12-15-2005, 02:45 AM   #14
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
dsprik,
the "Route 66" program works on Mac and works well.
Personally, I like my Garmin 2620 (last year's version of 2720). I use it in our Honda Hybrid as well as in the TV. A Lap top is just tooo big and clumsy for the Civic. One other feature I like is the Garmin comes wih a remote. Victoria frequently rides in back seat (with dogs and entertainment center). She is able to manage the Garmin from there.

BTW, I find the Garmin display plenty bright and large enough to read and my eyes ain't so good anymore. It does have a little four footed bean bag that keeps it fairly well in place on the dash. However, I found a small chunk of velcro on the bottom of the beanbag was a good addition to keep it in place .
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:57 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would agree that the laptop version is sort of big for the Civic..we have one of those also.We use the GPS 95% of the time in the TV.We have a Civic and Accord.Helen has a laptop platform that rest on her lap when in the small cars but it is sort of awkward. Personal choice I guess. Since we already had the laptops we chose to go with the less expensive and bigger screen verson of the GPS.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:39 AM   #16
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
PJ IF YOUR LOOKING TO GET ANY GARMIN PRODUCT TRY THIS WEB SITE.www.getfeetwet.com I HAVED PURCHASED SEVERAL GARMIN PRODUCTS FROM THESE FOLK'S.... THEY HAVE GREAT PRICES, DELIVERY IS QUICK. THEY ARE GARMIN DEALERS AND NOT FLY BY NIGHT SO TO SPEAK. GIVE THERE WEB SITE A LOOK BEFORE YOU BUY A GARMIN SOME WHERE ELSE AT A HIGH PRICE. WE ARE USING THE EARTHMATE DELORME PROGRAM. THE MICROSOFT PROGRAM THEY SAY THE VOICE IS VERY WEAK, I AM NOT SAYING I'M OLD - I WILL SAY I NEED A LOUDER VOICE TO DIRECT ME. HA HA
LATER JOHN H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:11 AM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
As discussed here on the forum a couple of times, Al has the 2610 or 2620,??? something or other by Garmin. He loves it, and the voice directions can be made loud enough to hear and the recalculate when you take a wrong turn is automatic and quite speedy. But that small screen and I are ENEMIES! I hate the thing! Cannot get enough detail on it when I need a larger map, and I see purple not roads! I also find that some of the programming situations are not intuitive and there is nothing I despise more than a computer program that is not intuitive. (Remember we get to all have an opinion here, and that is mine! HAHA)

Streets and Trips on the laptop is the solution for a larger screen. We have purchased the new version with the GPS, and yes, the voice is weak at best. I have contemplated using a earphone with it, will find out on the way to Texas if that works. Is it a perfect program, NOPE. I have been using S & T for a few years, and I can get around OK with it. Not thrilled with having to force routes, when necessary, I think that is a pain too.

Seems they all use the same US Government maps and if there is a new road missing from one, it probably will be missing from the others.

Last summer we found that Garmin alone just did not cut it for our use (finding very small cemeteries way out in the boonies of the country side of Iowa and Minnesota). We had to use BOTH the Garmin and the computer. And, that is what we will continue to do.

Garmin is very good getting you around in towns, TILL you go downtown in between the tall buildings. I have heard that S & T is a bit better about that. We'll see.

I had hoped to get rid of a lot of paper maps when we got a GPS, but alas, the maps are still in the truck! SIGHHHHHHHHHH
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:43 AM   #18
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Thanks to everyone for the replies....we have S&T on the laptop, and do everything we can on it the day before taking the road. I didn't get the GPS "add-on" because I do not like running the laptop while driving for two reasons, both personal...1. I can't believe there is no damage to the hard drive while operating the computer and bouncing along at the same time. Our truck isn't exactly a "Glide Ride". 2. From airplane driving days, watching a GPS is not a good thing to be doing while moving along at 60 mph (or even 20 mph) in traffic. Listening may be OK, but not looking. It is just too easy to get caught up in that trap, even if you know you shouldn't. Really bad things can happen....why give them a chance to catch up with you? We plan to continue on with thorough route planning the day before and use the GPS while driving to help keep up with "The Plan". I HATE not knowing where I am going!!

Went ahead and ordered it, should arrive in a day or so...I'll post a "Product Review" in a month of so after I learn the "goods" and "not-so-goods" of the system.

Happy Christmas to All!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
patodonn,

look forward to your feedback, specially since you were a pilot. In our rig the computer version is only for use of the co-pilot. The Garmin is for the use of the pilot, but not for studying, as you so aptly point out, that is NOT a good idea. One thing we do like about the Garmin is the "pre" warnings for turns, Garmin does it very well, and if there is a turn soon after a turn (two in a row), it might even tell you, left in 300 feet, then right. Voice commands on Garmin are pretty good. Screen stinks! HA HA

Enjoy and Happy Holidays.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am going to get another laptop (for Cheryl) and it definitely going to be a 12" screen. I had a 12" iBook and I always thought how much nicer it would be to have a 15" or even a 17" laptop. Wrong! This 15" HP is way big enough and verges on the point of not being too portable. Remember, though, I have been used to a 12" iBook. I am used to slapping the cover closed and picking it up with one hand and carrying it like a book somewhere. You will NOT do that with this HP. And in the car - even a Park Ave - this thing is a monster. Had a Dr's appointment today and the Doc brings in a 12" laptop into the small exam room - wireless - and proceeds to connect to the hospital's database to get an old blood workup that I had with another doctor last year to see any changes. When he's done, he just flips it closed with one hand and picks it up. He couldn't have done that with a larger laptop.

A 12" laptop with gps and map program would suit me just fine. But I would not get rid of my 17" as it is good for many things.

I'm sure watching these things while moving can cause some problems, but I have never used one in the car, so I don't know for sure.

Anyone ever see someone driving down the freeway reading a book? I have. Even had one guy pass me on I-75 with a book propped up on his steering wheel... but I don't mean to divert this thread.