Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Hurricane Katrina

Been watching the weather on this hurricane...I hope all the members of MOC in the affected areas have found safe haven. My prayers are with those who can't leave...Stay safe all.

Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Well said! My prayers are with you as well!

Yesterday, I talked to my uncle who lives in Pensacola, and he was already boarded up. Though he looks to miss direct landfall, this is not a good time to live in the Gulf Coast region.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We know that those who are Gulf Coast residents have many other things to do besides check in with us right now. When ya'll finally do have time to check in, know that all the folks here are thinking of you and praying for your safety and the safety of those dear to you. God bless.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I hope everyone down that way is safe. There is going to be unbelieveable damage and a very long time to rebuild. Also, Keep in mind that the forecast is for the storm to maintain hurricane force winds until it is close to Tennesee. Everybody along that storm track is in our thoughts.

BTW, the last email I got from Jen said that she was OK. She's on an oil tanker in the Gulf, SE of the hurricane, and was scheduled to head into New Orleans. As of yesterday she was following the hurricane at 6 knots, while the storm was traveling at 8 knots.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:33 AM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks Fred! We were wondering where she was and how she was doing.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:19 AM   #6
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I just got an email from Jen....I was starting to get worried since she usually emails at least once a day while out to sea and it's been close to 2 days now. Her ship is 190 miles SE of the eye and they've been rolling pretty bad, can't keep anything out on the desks, etc. They're traveling at 5 mph while waiting for new orders from the main office since all of the refineries in the New Orleans area are shut down.

Looking at the news, it looks like New Orleans may be spared the worst of it, especially since the eye is tracking to the East of the city. The NWS has reduced the storm surge forecast since the hurricane has weakened a bit.

fred
Old 08-29-2005, 04:42 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
take a look at www.wunderground.com for some real good nexrad radar of the storm...Highest wind I see is 126 Knots east Of N.O.Does not look like N.O will get hit as hard as first thought..bad enough though.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
CNBC reported today that Hurricane Katrina has shut down 10% of the nation's refineries. Futures for gasoline/diesel/heating oil up by 7% on today's markets. Hope we don't see a replay of the 80's of sitting in lines at the service station and them running out just about the time you got to the pump. It may take several weeks for them to get back running at full speed again.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:52 AM   #9
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
The storm was really BAD. I live about 50 miles north west of N.O. The storm hit a little east of the city but there is still tremendous damage. There was 145 mile a hour winds a cat 4 when it hit with guest higher than that. N.O. is flooded badly with as much as 13ft of water in some places. Don't know of any deaths yet but news crews have not really been able to get there. The Gov. said that it may be days before anybody can get in because of the brigdes that have too be inspected. N.O. is basically surroned by by water from the miss. river,lake pontutrain and the gulf of mexico. There is thousands of people out of elect. and some hospitals that took on water and another that had all it's windows blown out. It will be awhile before the city is operational. We did well just north of baton rouge but several thousand people without electricity. A lot of trees down and power lines. My house is not damaged at all and I give ALL THE GORLY TOO GOD He is my protector and provider. At least we have a genarator to run some lights and refrig. and TV and can selpt with ac in old camper. With all that said our Monte 3670 came in last week on the 25th and we looked at it on the 27th the sat. before storm came in. Hope every thing is allright with it as we have not took delivery of it yet and the strom was headed straight that way but it is only material thing and we are still here. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts and i will try too kept ya'll updated. GOD BLESS.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ak_traveler

Been watching the weather on this hurricane...I hope all the members of MOC in the affected areas have found safe haven. My prayers are with those who can't leave...Stay safe all.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #10
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
pud2, Glad to hear your OK! Hopefully we'll hear from some of the other MOC members who live in the area.

Fred
Old 08-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
pud2

Thank you for your report, thank goodness you and family are ok.

We sure appreciate your checking in and appreciate your message.

God bless and continued good luck!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
pud2
Thanks for reporting in. We are thankful you made it okay. We have been watching all day and praying there are no deaths. Water will go away but life does not come back.
Happy trails..............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are glad to hear that you are okay, Pud2. We are also thankful that our area near Montgomery, Alabama, hasn't suffered much damage either. And we thank the Lord for His safety and pray for those who are so badly effected.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:18 PM   #14
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Although there were no Montana's in the group, several RVers pulled into our Houston-area park between 2am and 5am last night. If you really want to appreciate your Monty, catch this: 2 of the 10 families that pulled in last night were in pop-ups. One had 4 people and 3 dogs, the other had 7 people and a coule of dogs. We said our "howdy's" and went back to the Mounty. Sat around for a while feeling REALLY lucky! (The guy in the Prevost looked like he was feeling pretty lucky, too!)
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:53 AM   #15
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I can't begin to express what I'm feeling this morning looking at all the damage. I feel so bad for the people. I would have never thought a hurricane could do so much damage 150 miles inland. I can only pray for them and that anyone needing rescue gets rescued.

We still have to get through Sept. And there two more systems brewing. I know one thing for sure I'm going to find a way to get back to the West Central Coast of FL. I feel like a sitting duck on the East coast and at least the area I'm talking about has some natural protections that lessen the chance of a direct hit.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:26 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I too have been sitting here watching the news, in fact, I woke in the middle of the night and could not get back to sleep, watching the horrors they were depicting. Prayers to all, you have a tough tough time in your futures, and many MOC prayers!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #17
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Glad to hear you're ok pud2 and I hope the same can be said for all the MOC members in the affected areas.
After watching this all unfold over the last couple days Alaska isn't looking all that bad after all! Sure we get some cold weather and the occasional earthquake, but the devastation from Katrina makes what we deal with up here look like a walk in the park!

Incidently, there's plenty of room up here for any MOC members who want to avoid such things in the future!
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #18
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We have also been watching all day every day and today seeing the pictures and some of the interviews makes sitting here in the rain seem like a walk in the park. We visited down there 2 years ago and enjoyed it so much. Our thoughts and prayers are with all in the path of Katrina - ditto on knowing you all are ok pud2, continued safety.

ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote