Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Interstate batteries

Hey Guys:
I have 2 interstate Batteries in my 2013 3800RE.( GC2-XHD-UTL 6 volt deep cycle)
Both batteries are sulphated and not giving full charge. I know this as the slides did not come in well last time and the lights have started dimming some times. The batteries are only 2 years old.

I am replacing the batteries. Is there any procedure I should follow to replace them?

Thank you

Golferdave

Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I was told two years ago Interstate Battery had changed ownership and in doing so they had changed the charge criteria for their batteries. The shop I trust did not recommend them.
So when I have to replace mine I will go with the Trojan brand.
Hope this helps.
Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Thanks John. I will do that. I did contact Interstate and they gave NO help. I have priced 6 volt deep cycle batteries, replacements, and they range from $250 to $350 a pair. Les Schwab has some good ones I hear.

Deb and I enjoyed reading about your travels in Alaska. Thank you for posting those. And thank you again for your help at the rally out of Sacramento.

Happy trails until we meet again. We still love our Montana 3800RE.

David and Deb Swanson
Old 11-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I am not a fan of Interstate When I think Deep Cycle nothing better then Trojan in my opinion my Golf Cart Trojans are 8 years old
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I have been a user of Interstate batteries for more than 20 years- I have never had to replace a battery before its expiration date, so I will continue to use their product until the product fails me- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #6
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
It seems like when a company changes ownership quality goes down to increase profits for investers, which means we the consumers pay the price for inferior products.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think the Brand name is pretty much like the Chevy-Dodge-Ford deal, folks start out with a brand, feel comfortable with it and always go back to it. They all probably make great products. Most of the research I have read on batteries really lean to the Trojans as an entry level battery,(in the (Solar market) higher priced ones start from there and I bet thy are super. I like the Trojans because almost everywhere we travel they are sold, so on the road replacements would be easy. You have to think about shipping also. I found that Trojans with the footprint of a standard battery that comes with the 5th wheels and trailers come in different amp-hour ratings at 20 hr rates Sam's club carries a lower rating, the lowest I have ever seen at 115 (I think, it was around that) you can get a 225 a 240 and a 260 AH These footprints may vary a bit.
These are in a 6 volt. I bought the 240's recently.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
IF they are sulfanated, they can be DE-sulfanated IF you've the right kind of charger - and the converter your rig came with won't do it. Actually, if you've been charging them only with the converter, that's the reason you've got this problem. I wasn't aware of how badly the converters that come with just about any RV/TT/5er actually charge batteries until I started looking into putting a solar system on ours. There aren't any 'battery chargers' that really do a good job either. Although my information is probably dated, the only brands I know of that will do a charge as recommended by battery manufacturers, and a de-sulfanation cycle, are Morningstar, Magnum, and AIMS. There may be others today, but someone else will have to add them.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Hi Guys:
If WaltBennet is right then a lot of us have a problem. My 2013 Montana 3800RE ordered from the factory and delivered to Leduc, Alberta, Canada, has the Progressive Dynamics PD4500 Series ( PD4590).
Not much I could do about it except follow my Owner's Manual for my unit from Keystone and refer to the Operating guide from Progressive.
Lots of MOCers must have these Power Control Centers.
PLEASE send your settings for this unit. I do not want to replace my batteries every 2nd year. My batteries on my SOB were good even after 6 years fulltiming.
Thank you for your response. I think I will go with Trojan, if I can find them.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is some info on your charger, it seems like a good one to me.
http://ltdrvparts.com/PROGRESSIVE-DY...90-PD4590R.htm
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

It seems like when a company changes ownership quality goes down to increase profits for investers, which means we the consumers pay the price for inferior products.
The employees that built the business suffer too! I know that is not a concern of business but I was one of those workers!
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Before you go too far, have you checked to make sure your terminals and clamps are clean? Sometimes you can get a thin coat of white powdery looking corrosion in there that will reduce the current flow.

Don't know what kind of converter I have, but my OEM battery lasted over 4 yrs. Replaced with a NAPA battery and am about 3 years on it.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._to_prevent_it
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #13
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Thank you for the responses. You can always count on the MOC members to have some idea and to give some good suggestions.
I took my Interstate batteries to All Seasons RV in Bend,OR. They inspected them, cleaned terminals and said I should now have 2 more years at least on these batteries. They also gave some suggestions on longer battery life.
Thank again MOCers.