Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Networking your computers...

On the "Wireless Internet Service" thread HamRad commented on "networking" all 3 of his computers and by so doing was able to connect to the internet using just one wireless phone card. I have heard of networking for the sharing of files with another computer but was not aware it would also apply to sharing an internet connection.
As I didn't want to get off subject with the "Wireless Internet Service" thread and I thought the members might be interested in the subject of "networking" I started this new thread.

So, PLEASE, tell me all you know about "Networking" and please type slow as I am a slow reader.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Hi Glenn,

If you have a DSL or Cable modem you can purchase a 4 port wireless router that connects to the DSL or Cable port and then connects wirelessly to your PCs. (this assumes that your PCs have wireless cards. This is the typical hookup in homes with more than one PC. Look for brands like Linksys, Netgear or D-Link. For what it's worth you can get the same kind of router that is not wireless but then you need to run ethernet wiring around your Montana and that's a pain. I have seen these routers selling for about $40.00 and up and the wireless USB cards selling for about the same. Be aware that these routers and cards come in 802.11b and 802.11g versions. The 802.11g routers cost a bit more but allow faster traffic on their network. This doesn't matter for stuff coming from outside which is limited to less than 10mb but it will help if you are moving big files between your PCs (or backing up your PCs across the network).

If, (as HamRad) you are connecting via a wireless phone card, I can only assume that the PC connected to his wireless phone card is acting as a software router for the other PCs. In that case you won't need the wireless router at all.

Gee, and I thought we were doing good because we had two TVs......

PS Just read the other thread and I guess this is mostly redundant.....
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:40 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Redundancy is fine. I want to get as much info on this subject as I possibly can. I may know how to surf the internet and how to work with graphics and build web sites but when it comes to the inner workings of these computers I am a complete computer illiterate.

We would be connecting using the Verizon wireless air card.
I have a new Toshiba lap top while Lorraine has a HP lap top which is about 3 or 4 years old.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Glenn,

I second what snoywbunny said above, with one caveat, er, well maybe two: Get the Linksys router and get the wireless one. You will be happy you did.

Also, if your computers are running different versions of Windows (Windows 2000 and Windows XP for instance), getting them to network can sometimes be very tricky...

It's not nearly as troubling when they are the same version...so prepare for some level of frustration...I work with these things every day and still sometimes struggle with getting them to talk...I've sometimes had to resort e-mailing files to myself and opening them with the other computer to download the file!

Also, if you're using a wireless router, you should consider setting it up with WEP (wireless security) so others around you cannot simply "log in" to your network...

RVers are good people, but you never know so don't take the chance of sharing important data by leaving that important step out.

If you have trouble, shoot me an e-mail and perhaps I can walk you thru it on the phone or something...

Chip
Montana_2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Roy and I bought D-link setup where he has the card for his laptop and I have the cable internet connected to my work computer (I work from home). It was a complete setup that came with software, router, and card that we got at Costco. He is often online in one room while I am online in another. So far it has worked well except for e-mail. No matter how I set up his OE it always sends the mail to me even though we have separate e-mail addresses. We have not tried to figure out how to use it in the RV and would be interest to know if it is possible. Though I have worked with computers for many years I am technically challenged when it comes to these things.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Both 'puters have Windows XP Home Version.

Thanks for the offer Chip, we just may take you up on it.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Glen,
As I commented in the other thread, you should be able to network with your Verizon system. As an experiment just connect the two computers together with an ethernet cable. This assumes both computers have an ethernet port. The computer with the verizon card (let's call it "A") should have a built in feature that allows you to share the internet connection with other computers on your local network ie: the computer on the other end of the ethernet cable(computer "B"). I'm not a fan of microsoft windows so I'm not sure where this feature is located. On apple machines running OSX, the feature is turned on in the preferences folder under the sharing icon.

Once you get the sharing visible, seperate the ethernet connection and find a wireless router that plugs into your ethernet port on computer "A", Then a wireless card for computer "B" and any other one you want to have on line and you should be all set.

Now comes the really neat part. I'm just setting this up at home so am not a complete expert yet. The apple program is called "Remote Desktop." Not sure what the ones for Windows are called but there are a bunch of them. Once the software is loaded you are abe to view and control other computers (called clients) from the primary computer (called the administrator). It's possible to send quick messages back and forth and do network-wide software updates. Our household has two laptops and two desktops and a variety of skill levels. Now when I hear Vikki starting to scream at her imac and threaten its life, I can tune in and see what is happening and demo a few key strokes to solve the problem. Cool -- Opps, that's mean. She usually asks for my help in a very pleasant voice. Very Apple-like...
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Glenn, just a couple of comments: I am presently using a home network that I set up. We have DSL which comes into a wireless router. On each of my four computers (upstairs and downstairs--mine and my wife's) we have a wireless adapter. All of my equipment is D-Link. I think it makes sense to use the same equipment all over the LAN (Local Area Network) whether it is Linksys or D-Link. It just makes it that much easier to set up communications. My wife and I can both be on the computer with internet at the same time without any interference. We can also make and receive phone calls on the one phone line that supplies voice service and internet connection. It has been wonderful to have such an arrangement.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, since you have xp on both systems you can turn on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and share the connection. When we had desktop systems in our stick home we had them networked together with ethernet adapters and shared a cable internet connection via a router. I don't have the laptops networked although we probably could do that through their wireless capabilities plus xp's ICS. Just haven't tried to figure it all out. I'll be following this thread for some clues how to do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote