Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Wheel Bearing Repack Bearing Issues

Should the spindle be clean or should I put lube on it also.

I have the bearings off and clean. The rollers good fine but the race is discolored and looks like it has besring lines on it. Not possible because it rides on the spindle.

It feels fine as does the spindle and the spindle feels smooth.

Any idea as to what would cause this?

Thanks

Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the race is discolored because of heat.there can be grease but not enough so the bearing gets over heated and discolours.you probably caught it in time before it got to bad.good eye and maintenance.shell makes a grease that turn dark to let you know when a bearing is going bad.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ray,
I agree with Thor. It was probably heat that caused the discoloration. You may want to get a new set of bearings. I did not know about the grease letting you know about a potential bearing failure. Thanks. And good luck Ray. Later, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Bearing "set" would be cup (race) and cone (bearing)...you will need to drive the race out of the drum. I never put any grease on spindle although it can get some on it when you reinstall drum which will have the rear seal, rear "grease repacked" bearing. Bearing seats on the spindle but does not spin, remains stationary.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Thanks for the input guys. I pack the bearing once a year, but last time I kind of thought I left them a little loose.

Is there any tips on how to get the race out and back in that isn't a real pain the the ___.

Thanks for the help.

Ray
Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Found this on Youtube looks like what you are looking for
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the you tube video shows the basic idea but that is the wrong way to pull the seal out you can damage the hub that way and grease can leak around the seal.the better way is to pop the sael from inside and prying from inside with the pry bar face the edge not from the edge to the centeral also not the right way to use a screw driver.use a brass punch.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
2x what thor says...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Nice enough video but using the screwdriver the way he was made me nervous. I would be worried about notching something important and then have to buy a complete wheel assembly. Glad it wasn't just me! I guess the basics are correct. Anyway thanks for posting the video link. Later, Dennis.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Thanks again Thor, noneck, Illini Trekker and Ham Rad (Dennis). I took the suspect bearing to A rv shop in Bullhead that has done work for mr before to have him look at the bearing. He agreed with your observations, bearing got hot and recommended replacing both bearings. The video was great, it just confirmed that my memory was correct on the procedure. I took the hub back to him today and he replaced both bearings and races and packed the bearings and then taped up both opening nicely so I could transport it back home.
I have always been very pleased with their work in the past, the price was $58.00. Don't know it that is high or not but when it's 102 outside I get a little lazy. Might do it myself if I have any issues on the other two.

Again, thank you.

Ray
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ray,
At $58 I think you got a really good deal. Next time I'm over that way I may just have mine done! Of course getting them on and off you saved some $$$. Yep! We know all about the 102+ heat. It's not all that different over here in Bakersfield. Glad you got your bearings done. Later, Dennis.