Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
dishnet and fulltiming

does anybody have dishnet satalite.how does that work as far as moving around do you have to have a land line phone? can you pay monthly?can you reset your local stations to were you are? can anyone help answer these for me? thanks

thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I have Dish Network and it works great once setup on site. As far as getting local stations where you are it, the answer is no. You will keep your home stations where ever you go. I have heard on here up to a 200 miles away. I travel 250 miles and still have them, but thats as far as I know. Might want to check into the self aligning dish's though, it makes it a lot easier. But if you are handi, it gets easier setting up yourself as you do it more often, and a lot less expensive.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Thor if your anything like me get the auto aligning dish it works great as i always had problems trying to find the satelite with a tripod and dish..VBS*****
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We use Direct-Tv (HDTV) and have since our first 5th wheel. We used a Tri-Pod until Aug of this year. We now have the Winguard Traveler roof mounted, it was a factory option. Just set down about a hour ago. Once we are hooked to shore power (50 amp) we push one button and in 5 minutes we are locked onto all 3 Sattellite's and as said its HDTV in front and rear. I still carry the Tri-Pod system but its broken down for storage. We try very hard never to park near trees. You have to be able to see the Southern Sky thats the only negative we have found. I also have East/West channels also. The local channels for Direct-Tv is 250 mile radius from home base. We had Dishnet but change over to Direct-Tv just a personnel decision. I do recomend Direct-Tv. Some times they offer free installation in a RV. However they use a cheaper Tri-Pod. The Tri-Pod is the key in setting up Sattelite TV, must be level. It took a while for me to learn the tricks and lots of time and money. We have a Birdog meter but very every used it to set up the Tri-pod. Good Luck with your decision. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I travel with Dish Network with our second receiver. I now long time and work away from home and mount on a near by solid structure, but will buy a tripod when I retire in 8 months. Dish will wave the no phone hook up charge!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have DishNet with a tripod mount. DishNet is also available with HDTV. The home site is in Texas, but we are up in Washington state and receive the local channels around the Seattle area. Our service has been good here since July. We have moved to three different sites.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
sanford1945
Established Member

M.O.C. #9982
If you are going to be in one place for a while all you have to do is call Dish and have them change it to where you are at that time. We are currantly at Quartzsite and have local stations with Dish. Good luck
sanford1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have used Dish since 2007 and it works everywhere except in Alaska--the satellites are very low on the southern horizon. Also even the fixed satellite antennas on homes in Alaska are alot bigger to get the signal. Some home antennas in Alaska look like they are aimed at the ground! It does take a little patience to learn to set up everything especially with a tripod. The key as said before is get the tripod level and staked down also avoid trees. We had trouble in Colorado so I moved the antenna to the front of the RV parking area and everything worked fine. Good Luck.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:56 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
DISH.
if you want local stations call DISH.
be aware that DISH has a new system where if you want TV in another room they give you ONE reciever that is wireless and you can operate it from another room. kinda of neat but if you want to keep one receiver in your home and another in the RV it ain't goin' happen anymore.
some more misc. info. if you go into mexico DISH works but at some point, as you go further south, you will need a larger dish and may only get one satellite.
DISH costs are typical. $19.99 plus $5.00 for local. then you pay extra for HD and there is a fee for the reciever after 9 months...I don't think that is needed.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have had Dish since 2006 and it has worked well for us. We have one "dual" receiver/DVR (LR and BR in one receiver) that we transfer back and forth from our house to our Montana. Works great.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
We don't have a stick house, and when I wanted to have the local dish net retailer come to my RV to set up with HD, they (in Las Vegas, Nv) wanted $100 up front and then for me to pay for the receiver and antenna. I told them "see ya later", I would stay with what I have. I've used the std TV antenna and receiver for 5 years and was told after I left the local area, (Utah) that I couldn't get the local without a seperate company's account, so I had the $5/mo removed. I just turn the receiver off, and use the rig antenna to receive the local channels where we happen to be parked. That works well, because they give the real local weather reports. If I wonder what is happening at home area, I just use my computer to log into the local TV website. The changeover from campground cable to satelite and back, requires some recableing, so I don't do that very often.
Any suggestions about the change over to HDTV without huge expenses would be greatly appreciated. It is tough knowing that we have HDTV's and only receive std tv signals, and know that there is a better picture available.
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, sounds like you talked to some so-called "authorized dealer" for DishNet. I would not deal with them. Call DishNet directly and they will get their own subcontractors that they control the price with.

Many local channels in (major markets anyway) do broadcast over the air in HD. Here in Orlando there are several. Up in N. Michigan where we spend our summers, there are SD stations only as they don't want to spend the money and the competition is not as fierce so they don't have to.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #13
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
I bought my Dish Network 322 Receiver thru Radio Shack on line and my antenna kit on line from Bestway Satellite

I then contacted Dish Network and set up an account directly with them - all I needed was the code from the receiver.

I get electronic billing and pay by my Debit Card.

I have had no trouble getting the local TV from Orlando while in Florida over the winter and local Boston TV while home in the summer.

All I do is call Dish Network and tell them I am at my winter address and give the the street address and Number (IE: 6233 CR 609 # E7)

Pointing the antenna has been easy - the bestway kit came with a satellite pointing tool.

The Dish Network receiver can send signals to 2 TV's -

The only thing I have not figured out is sending the seperate signal to the Bedroom TV. Patience is not one of my virtues.

rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #14
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
I do receive the HD signals (over the air) from the local area in which we are parked. I must have misunderstood the original question about local. I thought that the "local" mentioned was from a distant city. My "home address" according to Dish Network is my Brother-in-Law's home in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. While I'm there I could pay the additional $5 for those Salt Lake broadcast signals to be able to receive them over the sat system, but because my sat receiver/antenna is std definition, this signal still isn't HD. But while I'm in Victoria, Texas, as we are now, those Salt Lake local signals aren't available and therefore no reason to pay the additional $5/mo. So I receive the local stations over the antenna so I can see what the weather forecast is like, although the weather channel does give the weather for the surrounding area.
When I called dish network,in Las Vegas, Nev. they tried to give me a local dealer and that phone number was "not in service". When I drove by their address, I saw no business at that address. That is why I called one of the dealers in the area from the yellow pages, the ones that told me that dish would only reimburse them for so much and wanted the $100 up front. Unfortunately we aren't the typical snow birds,in that we have just two addresses. Dish network also told me that I couldn't use the sat system from my home in the RV, but since we don't have a stick home, that didn't matter anyway.
The satelite suggestion about the radio shack purchase is interesting. I might try EBAY for HD antenna and receiver.
Thanks for the suggestions,
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have had so much trouble over the past couple years trying to set up a portable antenna, that on my last trip out I purchased a Winegard Carry Out antenna. So far, I am satisfied with its performance. It will receive either Directv or DISH satellites with the proper setting of dip switches. It will even receive the newer 60+ and 70+ satellites from DISH for East coast operation. I just became so frustrated in trying to set up a portable on a tripod. I do get all three DISH satellites, 110, 119, and 129, so I get all the HD channels also.

And to the question of getting a signal to the back bedroom, that is going to depend on the receiver set up you have if you only have one receiver. It has to be one that supports a distribution signal, like the DISH 322, or the DISH VIP-722.

A previous post discusses how I was able to utilize the DISH system for viewing programs on two different televisions. The diplexer is a DPD2, and the separator does not have a number but it is the DISH Pro separator, with one DC Pass for Sat 1 input and a regular Sat 2 input. The RF cable feeds the in/out of the DPD2, with one leg of that output feeding the Separator, and the distribution out, in a stick house environment would go back to the vhf/uhf in of the DPD2. For the Monty, you do not need the DPD2, but feed the distribution out into one of the "jumpers" in the overhead above the tv (3400RL). On mine it was the top jumper feed that went to the back bedroom. You can check the system set up to see what channel you our outputting the signal on, but for this operation it is best to use Channel 60 (E experiment air/cable on the BR television - normally air for ch 60).

I hope this helps someone.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote