Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Spring Hanger broken

Just when I thought I had heard of everything that could go wrong we noticed our Kitchen slide (3075RL) seemed to be lying very close to the wheel. After some denial I finally crawled under the rig and discovered the hanger for the spring had completely broken off so the spring was not "hanging" but pushed up against the top of the frame. I called a welder who came out to the site and re-welded the handger. It is holding now and we have not had any further problems. Does anyone think I need to take it in for someone more familiar with chassis to look at it? John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Absolutely John and ASAP. We had the Monty in to have toe in fixed due to bent axle and it was discovered that the shackles and bushings we going. I had checked them in the last month and saw no problem. I replaced them and with wet bushings.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The welder didn't actually reweld it. The bracket is a "C" shaped piece and the ears of the "C" broke off. Welding them back on without other reinforcement should be looked upon as a temporary fix, and you should have it checked as soon as possible. Or let me put it this way - I can (and do) weld, and I wouldn't trust it unless I added some reinforcements to the bracket.

BTW: Here is another thread on this same topic: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=35406
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, did it look something like in this picture? In our case, the old one was subsequently removed and a whole new hanger welded in place, one a bit heavier than the original.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:53 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
The bolt on my spring hanger broke somewhere down the road about a year ago. I noticed that my tires on each side where separated by a different spacing--the axle was mis-aligned. This caused excess tire ware. Luckily I found it all and got new tires before there was a failure and had the bolt replaced at a trailer mfg in San Antonio. So my recommendation is to have the trailer axle examined by an expert in trailers--probably not your RV dealer. When I explained my problem to my RV dealer, he sent me directly to the trailer experts. I really appreciated that! It sure builds trust in both companies.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Thanks to all, and yes Steve it looked a lot like that picture except the entire C bracket was pulled away and just hanging there. The welder re-welded the entire C bracket back into place. Nevertheless I will have it looked at. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, the guy who fixed ours removed all three pieces of the old bracket and welded on a new U bracket, all one piece. I'm kinda wishing I'd had him do all four while he was in there.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote