Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Storage

Do most of you fulltimers have a storage unit for all of your family treasures? Do you have your storage unit in the last place you had a stick house, or centrally located in the U.S.? (Our family is all in Hawaii so we haven't made up our minds where we would want a storage site, outside of a place we would pass through occasionally.) We are really thinking about fulltime since we will be gone 9 months out of this year, and 10 months last year. We would be gone 12 months this year, but figure we should use the condo a few months. The taxes just went up another $2k and we have made about $120k in equity for the 18 months we have owned it, so we figure we could move up to a Big Sky and a F450 if we sold the condo.

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rrheik

Do most of you fulltimers have a storage unit for all of your family treasures? Do you have your storage unit in the last place you had a stick house, or centrally located in the U.S.?
Don't know if it was smart or not, but we put our "stuff" in storage at our last place of residence. The main reason was that we hadn't decided on where the final stick house is going to be and we didn't want to pay 2 transportation charges when one would suffice. Time will tell....
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our storage for our treasures is called "turnabout is fairplay." After years of our dear children storing things in our basement, the reverse is now the situation. We kept only those things we could not replace or could not bear to part with for one reason or another.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We don't have a stick house, but we do have a "home base". At the home base we have a 20'x 40' slab foundation and covering metal roof. To this is added 50 AMP service, a ceptic tank and water hook up. Thirty feet away we erected a 10' x 12' (relatively vermin proof) storage building for out of season clothing and items we wish we had sold at the estate sale and some things not yet delivered to the kids.

As to location, it is in Central Texas on property owned by relatives. We are making every effort to reduce our "treasuries" to zero and weigh all anchors. Until we do, I guess we will use the shed. I have no criticism for those who think differently.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Minimize, minimize....treasures to the kids (to keep and/or store), and keep no furniture or appliances. We started out with one year, maybe two, in mind for "full time", We are now in year 4, working toward year 5. We've been paying $140/month just for storage (recently went up to $180), and that doesn't count any delivery costs to a new "Stick" home...anywhere from a minimum (now) of $3000 to $8000+, depending on "where". And, it will be 5 year old "stuff" when we get it...so far, around 12-15,000 committed, and climbing. You can buy a heck of a lot of newer furniture and other "stuff" for that $.

If you are SURE you will be only a year of so on the road, some storage makes sense...otherwise, get rid of it!!

Been there..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We didn't store anything. We gave the kids what they wanted and got rid of everything else. We have a lifetime lease on a space at The Ranch in Lakewood, NM where we have a 10 X 12 shed in which we keep some items for when we are there, like hoses, some tools, and some papers we didn't want to throw away, plus my bicycle.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We got rid of everything except for one boot box each of things that we just couldn't part with. Those are stored under the bed and we haven't looked at them for two years now.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We are also fulltimers, we got rid of almost everything except what fit into a 5 X 10 storage unit which costs $50 per month in Washington.

Next month, our plan is to narrow that down to 5 X 5 and possibly buy a small utility trailer for future storage.

We will spend time in Washington in the summer, and Arizona area in the winter, so we'll probably pull the utility trailer to somewhere in Northern California so access can be made between summer/winter seasons.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We got a storage unit at the place where we had the most relatives and also where we spend 5 mos out of the year (summer). We give one key (we keep one ourselves, of course) to a relative who lives near the storage unit, and if we have a sudden need, they can ship stuff to us wherever we are in the US/CA at that particular time.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
EVERYTHING we own is either in the Monty or the TV. The only thing we have stored is a big box of family pictures which one of these days will end up in the trash. It is stored in a storage unit rented by Lorraine's niece.

In our case, Back in 2003 we decided we were going full time with no turning back. Made sure by burning the bridges behind us. We got rid of the stuff by selling, donating or just plain gave away everything we didn't need. When the time comes that health problems keep us from traveling we will park the Monty in some park and live out our years in the same rig that gave us so many wonderful memories. NEVER AGAIN will I cut grass, rake leaves, weed gardens, paint the house, PAY PROPERTY TAXES, PAY SCHOOL TAXES OR PAY OUTRAGEOUS PROPERTY INSURANCE PREMIUMS. By having a Florida residence I also don't pay state income tax.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We gave everything we didn't need to the kids or to charity. Like several others, all we own is inside our Monty or our TV.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We have as of yesterday gave away the little bit of poccessions we had left,it was in a 10X5 storage shed. I still have my 1940 deluxe coupe, a 27" hd tv in a 10X20.
As soon as the Street Rod Sells we hit the road and don't look back. We will only have just what is with us. We feel we are free to go anywhere and not worry about stuff left behind. Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:15 AM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I am in the process of disposing of all non essential possessions. Photos and important newpaper clippings are being scanned onto a disc. Other stuff is either going to be sold or donated. Bonnie, on the other hand cannot bear to part with her posessions. The only way to keep peace is to store her stuff. I can buy one of those backyard storage barns (a real frame structure, not the tin or plastic ones from Lowes) for about the price of a couple of years rent at a storage facility. Bonnie's oldest son has agreed to keep it at his place. In return we have agreed that the building is his when we no longer have a use for it.

Stiles, Bonnie and I have talked about a home base similar to what you are doing here in Ohio. My fear is that such a home base would make us legal residents of the Buckeye state and as such subject to all of the state and local taxes and motor vehicle laws. I would rather opt for the South Dakota residency and visit friends and family in Ohio regularly without being permanent residents. What are your thoughts on this?
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
13 years ago, a friend of ours decided to give full timing a go. They felt they would only go out for one year. So the bought a used 55' semi trailer and parked it on his mother's property. They then put all their belongings (furniture, dishes, extra clothes, you name it, etc.) into it. They have now been on the road full time for 13 years and all their stuff is mildewed, damp and rotting. If you're storing stuff for later use it should be stored in a controlled environment.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

EVERYTHING we own is either in the Monty or the TV. The only thing we have stored is a big box of family pictures which one of these days will end up in the trash. It is stored in a storage unit rented by Lorraine's niece.
I am so envious, will work on a similar goal.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #16
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I have already gotten rid of most of my "Stuff" and Carolyn is now going through process. We had to compromise. I did not want to keep anything but Carolyn wanted to keep here antiques and some family stuff. I got a "POD" storage unit, that now sits in the driveway, and told Carolyn that what we keep has to either go into the Montana or the POD what does not fit we get rid of. Once we get the POD loaded and the the house closes I will have them pick up the POD and put it in their storage warehouse then we will see how long it is until we forget what we have in there.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #17
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Samuel and I spend more time away then at home, but I'm still not ready to give up the double wide. The cost for keeping it is about the same as some full timers are spending for storage. I think I have finally come to the conclusion that it is not the "stuff"
as much as it is the place. We are on a lake near all but one daughter out of 8 children
and have our own dock. We are free to travel during the summer when we want to, and stay
in FL for 6 months, Oct - April. I guess as long as it works for us, it's the thing to do. Samuel is getting tired of the lawn work and the leaves in the Fall. But I guess we
can always hire it done.

Glenn, I have thought about your situation. When you can't travel, park the Monty and live in it. Maybe in the future we'll think about that. Right now, we enjoy Smith Mtn. Lake in Southcentral Virginia.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #18
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have a small cargo trailer in our daughter's backyard which is our storage unit. That way it is out of her way and we can move it anywhere we want. It is really tiny - only 4'x8', and we still have room to spare in there.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
We also decided on a cargo trailer. We were paying for a storage room but decided that the price for the room would pay for a trailer in a couple of years and then no more payments period. We will keep the trailer centrally located in Lincoln NE, at our daughters. This way, it's central to our needs and not a burden on the kids. Works for us.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #20
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
we happen to have an aircraft hanger..left over from my flying days...and still have it. I rent out two spaces for aircraft, and have enough room for all the crap we don't want to part with yet. Sooner or later, it will be cleaned out, my plane will be sold, and the building will be sold too. Right now it makes me money, and meets our needs for storage.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote