Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Trailer Weight?

I just weighed my truck (F350 DRW) and 5er (3500RL) together, and the gross weight totaled 22480lbs. I plan to weigh the truck by itself in the next few days to substract the weight from the 22,480lbs, to find out how much my fully-loaded trailer weighs. Since I full-time the 5er is pretty loaded down. GVWR on my 5er is 13855lbs and I'm hoping it's not over The CAT Scale print out indicates:

Steer Axle: 4980lbs
Drive Axle: 6260lbs
Trailer Axle: 11240lbs
TOTAL: 22480 lbs

I wonder what other Montana owners weights are with similar units.

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights

SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Congratulations on getting it weighed. I think there are a lot of folks that have never even bothered. We have been full time for just over a year and have been to the scales twice. We really have to watch what we buy and where that weight goes.

When we weigh, we make sure the fuel tank is full, propane tanks full, water tanks empty and everybody in the truck that will normally ride there. Then we get all three axles weighed and tell the operator that we want a re-weigh. We then pull off the scales, drop the trailer and pull back on to get the truck weighed. I think they only charged $2 or $3 for the re-weigh and that way we get actual weights. I have heard of some people unhooking on the scale, but I have not tried that.

Looks like you are well under GVWR (11,240 vs 13,855) and your trailer is probably 13,500 or so. Don't forget to check the GCWR for truck and trailer. Did you weigh your truck and trailer empty to know how much weight you have added?

2004 298RLS
2003 Chevy 2500HD LB Duramax/Allison
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Your weights sound good. I'll bet you a case of beer that your truck weighs at least 8500 pounds which puts your fiver at just under 14000. My 05 F350 SRW V10 is just over 8000 with the hitch on
and my front axle is only 4400 pounds with the V10. The PSD adds over 500 pounds of weight and the dual wheels have to add a good chunk of weight as well. Ford Superduties are heavy trucks.

Take care and safe travels.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobrownies

Looks like you are well under GVWR (11,240 vs 13,855) and your trailer is probably 13,500 or so. Don't forget to check the GCWR for truck and trailer. Did you weigh your truck and trailer empty to know how much weight you have added?
mobrownies, I checked the tow ratings for my truck and the GCWR is 23,500lbs, so I'm about 1,020 lbs under. I never got a chance to weigh either unit empty (moved everything from a old 5th wheel to the new one when i purchased the new one)...but at least I know I have up to about 1,000lbs left if I ever wanted to push the limit ...and I doubt if I will, but it does help to know I can carry a few more passengers if I like to (very seldom), and some other stuff (like a built in generator i plan to have installed). I guess it's a good thing to decide (pick and choose) on what options you plan to get on your trailer before the weight starts adding up fast . It would also be nice to know how much a particular unit weighs that would have ALL the options (not just prepped) that Keystone offers installed. I would say it would/could be maxed out once you start loading your necessities if you full-time. Thanks for your response! Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Your weights sound good. I'll bet you a case of beer that your truck weighs at least 8500 pounds which puts your fiver at just under 14000.
I bet you're right, and I'll find out in a day or so how about a six pack! ha!

Old 09-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I weighed my truck today including myself, a full tank of fuel and everything I usually carry in it, and it totaled at 8520lbs (Steer Axle 4,860, Drive Axle 3,660lbs). According to the previous numbers I listed above, the truck did not have a full tank (it was about 1/2 full) and today I added 21 gallons at about 7lbs a gallon, so it appears that my trailer weight is standing at 14,128lbs which is 273lbs over the GVWR of 13,855lbs ;-( uggggggh!!!.........and my pin weight is at 2,600lbs. The GCVW on my Ford is 23,500lbs and I'm standing at 22,646lbs (truck and trailer combo), so I'm ok at least in that respect. I guess I better get to finding out what stuff I need to remove from the trailer to get it down to 13,855lbs or less. I'm curious on what weights you other guys/gals are coming up with that full-time and have to take it all with you By the way, I only had 1/3 of my fresh water tank full.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
IMHO worrying about 273 pounds on a rig like yours is like trying to pick the fly crap out of the pepper, really not a big deal. You are not any where near the trailer axle's rating and we have people on here that tow over 1000 pounds over thier truck's GVWR and are happy as a clam.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:44 AM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
SKOOBDO--Thanks for sharing your weight data with us--it certainly helps all of us to get a better handle on the weight issues. I share the view that it would be nice if Montana would let us know what each of the options they offer weigh so that we can make intelligent decisions as to what options to order. But I also share Don's view that you should not worry about being over the trailer's GVWR by a few hundred pounds. You are under the rated loads for your axles, and others have reported carrying pin weights at or above your 2600# with no structural problems. You are simply victim to the fact that Montana artificially understates the actual capabilities of its rigs so that they can report a dry pin weight that will encourage owners of 3/4 ton trucks to buy the larger Montys.

However, you will have to be a bit more careful if and when you fill your fresh water tank as that will add another 300# or so, although most or all of that weight will end up on your axles (and you'll still be under your max axle load) and you'll still be under your GCWR. So I encourage you to relax and enjoy your Monty--but don't take up rock collecting while you fulltime. LOL!!!!

And Don--you really have to work on your metaphors--"pick the fly crap out of the pepper." UGH!!!

LOL!! LOL!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
It seems to me that Keystone is trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want to keep the weights down to keep the 3/4 ton business, yet they encourage (covertly) folks to be 'long term' campers. If I was going to be a full timer, I'd probably would have gone with a Sunnybrook...and nearly 4000 of cargo capacity, using 6000 lb axles. SB also has 5ers with 16000 GVWR, 3000 of cargo capacity with two 6000 axles (they also use the same size tires we do). If SB's axles have 6000 rating...they are Dexters, just like ours, why are the GVWRs so much different?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Cat--I think you answered your own question. IMO the Montanas have a lower nominal GVWR than the Sunnybrooks because Keystone wants a lower GVWR and lower dry pin weight to get the 3/4 ton customers who--I assume--view the Sunnybrook as too heavy for them to tow. But the Montanas clearly seem to have the capacity to handle heavier weight than they are rated for. With two 6,000# axles and a frame structure that I'll bet could handle at least 3,000# pin weights, I suspect that Keystone could bump up the GVWR for the Montanas to 15,000#, with nominal cargo capacities over 3,000# (before deducting for the non-manditory "options" that everyone orders anyway.)

Anyone with a different read on this?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:When we weigh, we make sure the fuel tank is full, propane tanks full, water tanks empty and everybody in the truck that will normally ride there. Then we get all three axles weighed and tell the operator that we want a re-weigh. We then pull off the scales, drop the trailer and pull back on to get the truck weighed. I think they only charged $2 or $3 for the re-weigh and that way we get actual weights. I have heard of some people unhooking on the scale, but I have not tried that.
You don't really need to unhook at all, just drop the front legs of the trailer enough to pick up the weight of the trailer (as you would if you were going to unhook), then call in for the re-weigh. As long as the trailer legs remain on the same platform as the trailer wheels, that is all you need to do. (This is Bill's (of "Bill and Ann") idea, but I have tried it, and it works just fine.

OntMont (John and Donna)
2005 Montana 3670RL
2007 Silverado "Classic" 3500 DRW 4x4 CC D/A.
2001 Border Collie to ride herd on us.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
SKOOBDO, we don't have the same rig that you do, but ours weighed 11,120 as compared to the UVW of 9,180 and GVWR of 12,040. We had been full-time for about 6 months so the trailer was loaded, but all water tanks were empty. If all tanks were full we would be a little overweight, but we never travel with all tanks full. So you can see that we had almost 2,000 lbs of "stuff" and we thought we had packed very efficiently.

The last time we were at our storage area we unloaded several things that we had not used in the last year in an effort to reduce the weight some more. With all I have read and heard about tire failures on trailers, I don't like to push my luck. We bought an upgrade to larger tires when we bought the trailer and I watch the tire pressure frequently. We also watch the weight which in addition to tire concerns, impacts fuel economy a little.

2004 298RLS
2003 Chevy 2500HD LB Duramax/Allison
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #13
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
mobrownies, good thing you're watching your trailer weight too. I'm glad I live alone or my unit would weigh even more I've gone through my trailer several times and have gotten rid of stuff including at the campground yard sale. I can't seem to find anything else that I can get rid of as I use or need everything I have. Mostly all my dishware etc is plastic/paper and i only have a two pots and one slow cooker. I just can't figure out where all the weight is coming from. I do have a closet full of clothes that i've already downsized...and I need my suits and coordinates for my job. Like my previous post indicated, all tanks were empty except 1/3 fresh water in case I need water on the road. any paper items such as bills etc are for this year and some misc stuff for warranty purposes. I have about seven books and about 8 magazines. I don't like clutter so I have no junk mail, advertisements or catalogs. I figure it must be clothing because I don't have much else inside unless it's what's in my basement storage which is probably the same stuff most people carry (hoses,chairs,etc). But, I guess I'm not too overloaded...but I would like the weight to be lower and I'll feel a little bit more comfortable.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Skoobdo, we weighed ours today. Total rig weight is 23,160, which is 160 lbs over our GCWR. We had a half tank of freshwater onboard. That weight includes both of us sitting in the truck so is "as towed.". Pinweight is 2860 on ours but part of that is the washer and dryer. The trailer is 14,620. GVWR is 13,975 but that number is suspect, in my opinion, because of how it is calculated.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote