Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #1
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Can we tow it?

My DH and I have been researching for 3 days to see if our truck will tow the Montana Mountaineer we have picked out. We've checked this site, trailer life, a cool site called www.changinggears.com, and many others - our heads are spinning! I've decided to bite the bullet and although I know this has been discussed here before - we need some help.

We have a:
2001 Chevy Silverado K2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Bed
4WD
8.1 Liter
Allison Transmission
Rear Axle Gear Ratio - 3:73

Looking at:
Montana Mountaineer 336RLT
Weight - 10505
Carrying Capacity - 3585
Hitch - 2090

We cannot find the GCWR - called Chevy and several dealers. GVWR on the Chevy is 13,500. Should we be including the hitch in the total # or is that just a rating # and already included in the weight?

Any help is greatly appreciated - the $'s are right on this rig, but want to make sure we can tow it and not be a hazard on the road.

Thanks!

Jay and Beth
Antioch, Illinois

traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Your GVWR is on a label inside the driver's door. I thought it was either 9200 or 9400 for a Chev 2500HD. Everything you add to the truck including the hitch and the people in the cab all become part of the gross weight rating. You have a strong enough engine. 4.10 gears would be better.

Good Luck and people with more knowledge of Chevs than I have will be along to give you better advice.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:03 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Your GVWR is 9200 lbs. and GCWR is 22,000 lbs. Your truck will pull it fine but be aware that you will be over 9200 lbs on your truck
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:56 AM   #4
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Thanks for the information. With us and all of our stuff, we may be cutting it close. We want to do some extended vacations next year and then start full timing - maybe we'll stay in the flatlands for the 1st year, then upgrade our TV when we move beyond that radius to give us a better comfort level.

Thanks for the help. Maybe we'll need to both go on diets to cut down the load!

Jay and Beth
Antioch, Illinois
traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
To expand a bit on what 8.1al said...Check the sticker on the left rear door or pillar of the drivers side of your truck. The sticker, entitled "Tire and Loading Information," will have a section that says, "The combined weight of cargo and occupants should never exceed ____ pounds." That's all you can carry (including pin weight, cargo, passengers, tools, hitch weight, fuel, etc,) and stay within GVWR of 9200. Remember that 2090 pin weight is empty pin weight...a realistic pin weight will be heavier. So to answer your question, you can tow it fine, but will be over GVWR when you get it loaded and ready to go.

It appears from the numbers you posted, there is some confusion as to exactly what you can tow/carry and what your limits are. I just did an extensive study on GM vehicles prior to getting a 5er and new TV, PM me if you want more details.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote