Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Recommended lubricants?

SLIDE-OUTS
I was going to put "lubricate slide-outs" on my to-do list, but when I read the Lippert owner's manual for our hydraulic slide-outs, it recommending not lubing the slide-out mechanisms: "No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the environment and long term dependability of the system." (page 5 under System Maintenance).

However, in the Service Manual there was a section about "Corrective Action for Squeaking Gear Packs" (page 12) which said:
1. Loosen both gear packs bolts (Fig. 12A and B) until tension is off of the gear pack.
2. Apply dry silicone onto gear pack drive shaft at lubrication points (Fig. 13A), (Fig. 14A), (Fig. 15A
through D).
Note: Do not lubricate rack or pinion gear teeth, lubricate drive shaft only.
3. Extend and retract slide-out arms several times to work lubricant through gear pack.
So, I've got some of that 3-in-one RV slide-out stuff that should work for that I guess.

I installed new wiper and bulb seals this past weekend and put some 303 Protectant on them. Although, I guess I could have used the 3-in-one slide-out lube on them too instead.

WINDOW CHANNELS/DOOR LOCK AND HINGES/BAGGAGE DOOR LOCKS AND HINGES
For all these things, do you guys just use a dry silicone spray? I see that 3-in-one also puts out a spray which is supposedly just for windows but I don't see how it's that special (or is it). I'm wondering what the actual difference is between it and their slide-out silicon lube. I'm guessing that I want a dry type of lube so it isn't attracting dirt, etc.

PIVOT POINTS ON AWNING/ENTRY STEPS/REAR STABILIZERS
For these, do you guys recommend conventional lubes like spray lithium grease or stick with dry silicon type lubes?

FRONT LANDING GEAR
I know these need grease. Mine aren't making any noises and seem to be working okay but I want to lube them since I don't when, if ever, they were lubed before. I see to put lube into the top of the tube for the bevel gears there. As for the bottom leg screw gear, I'm thinking about the trick using the 3/4" hose insulation filled with grease trick. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I'm slowly "getting there" and getting this rig ready for the road.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Dry silicone spray for the slide mechanism, and it should also work for hinges and locks. I don't spray anything on the seals except spray specifically made for the seals. I use a heavy Teflon type spray for all the pivot points on the folding steps. I have hydraulic leveling, so no suggestion on how to or what to use for lubing the front mechanical landing gear.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote