Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2005, 03:22 AM   #1
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
HDTV

Below is a pasted article from this morning's Houston Chronicle. We probably have all known for sometime that this will affect all of us to a certain degree. If I don't get this right, some one please give us an explanation.

What I understand is that on Feb. 17, 2009 if you don't have one of the following: a HDTV, digital satellite service, digital cable service, or a digital converter box between your antenna and analog television your TV will be incapable of receiving a signal. As far as I know the TV's in my Monty will not function on the bat wing antenna when this goes into effect unless I have one of these converters. I was told that at present these converter boxes cost about $75. I don't know how they will know when the population is 85% capable of receiving digital TV or if it will be assumed and just happen.

Dec. 20, 2005, 12:33AM
TV switch-over compromise found
Date is in 2009; measure includes converter box aid

By JEREMY PELOFSKY
Reuters News Service

WASHINGTON - The House on Monday approved legislation to complete the U.S. transition to higher-quality digital television by Feb. 17, 2009, and to help consumers pay for the equipment needed to ensure their old televisions do not go dark.

Under a deal negotiated by Republicans in the House and Senate, up to $1.5 billion would be available to help some people buy converter boxes to keep their analog-signal televisions working when the transition is finished.

They agreed upon a compromise date that comes after the annual football Super Bowl but before the annual college basketball tournament.

The compromise is part of a larger bill aimed at cutting government spending over the next five years, which was narrowly approved by the House and still must be passed by the Senate. The timing of a Senate vote is uncertain.

"The DTV legislation brings needed certainty to allow consumers, broadcasters, cable and satellite operators, manufacturers, retailers and government to prepare for the end of the transition," said Rep. Joe Barton, R-Ennis, House Energy and Commerce Committee chairman.

Current law requires stations to switch to airing only digital broadcasts when 85 percent of the country can receive the new signals, or by Dec. 31, 2006, whichever comes later.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
As I understand digital TV is not necessarily HDTV. I don't know if it is true but I was told Direct TV already complied with the new law since it is 100% Digital transmission. Most cable companies are not and are still transmitting some of the channels in analog. That will soon end but the cable company usually supplies the box needed.

To receive AIR channels from a Local station you would need a converter. Hopefully the converters will have both standard and digital outputs.

Guess I will have to do some research on this to make sure. But I am not going to buy any more standard TV's.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Go with Dish Network or Direct TV and the problem will be solved. Right?
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Yes, this seems to be the answer but with some complications. Lots of folks do not or are not willing to subscribe to a satellite system because of economic or other reasons.

If you have a satellite system and are out of range of your local spot beam there will be none of the major networks available. Some of the FT'ers use a feed from the east or west coast and enjoy the major networks any where they go.

The next question is when will the RV industry wake up to the problem and start installing televisions or converters in the new units that will accept digital only transmitted signals?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:36 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
there is a big difference between digital and HD tv..go to www.howstuffworks.com. for a overwiew.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:04 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Go to www.DTV.gov to read all about it.

DTV is SDTV,EDTV, or HDTV.

I think Direct TV is SDTV unless you get an HDTV box.

I am using the digital video outputs from my DVR to display my Pix on "Video 1." I also have a channel 3 output to the analog input of the TV and display the signal by selecting channel 3. Not even close to the quality of the digital input. My TV is a 52 inch Sony HDTV Projection.

When I sign up for HDTV I will use "Video 7" which is a HDMI input which will give the best picture. Right now Direct TV does not have enough HDTV programming to make it worthwhile to buy another expensive box. In addition, their HDTV receivers have DVI output but no HDMI output. The conversion cable from DVI to HDMI does not work according the the techs. So maybe next year they will get everything straightened out.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:39 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Tom-
Good website....explains a lot, especially in one paragraph.....

Your current TV will not be obsolete at the end of the transition to DTV. Your current TV will work once the DTV transition is complete but you must have a digital set-top converter box to receive broadcast signals or be connected to a cable or satellite service. This converter box, much like your cable box, will allow you to receive a picture, but it won't be able to show high-definition pictures or give you access to other digital services. To experience the full benefits of digital television, you will need a digital television set.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 AM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Charlie,

I think by 2009 all TVs will be required to have tuners capable of receiving the digital transmission from stations. Right now most of the HDTV monitors have digital input through the video jacks but they still have normal analog tuners. That will go away so to be qualified as a DTV it will have to have the new digital tuner. A few TVs offer the digital tuner. You can buy a digital HDTV tuners right now from Walmart.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I assume that this has to be addressed by Keystone when installing TVs in their new units? Or is it going to be up to new owners to supply digital converters? Keystone might be waiting for passage of this measure before making a major decision like this. I also wonder what kind of long term contracts they might have with TV mfrs, and if this is going to cause any problems - although they all knew this was coming.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote