Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
DVD player

[b] I am about to purchase a used Montana 2955RL. I was going to buy a new 06 2980 but have since decided to go the used route to save some $$$$. I have found an 05 that was used very little and I did read here somewhere about how bad the DVD player and stereo was. So I was wondering what some of you music people have done as far as replacing the unit. What did you replace it with? Brand model ect. Thanks Happy Trails Al

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Al do a search on Quest or DVD. You'll find a lot of info. Replacement units are varied. We replaced ours with a Sony unit because we like and have had good luck with Sony products. We did not replace all the speakers because on the 3400 it is quite a job to get to the front speakers. We replaced the sub-woofer and plan on replacing the rear speakers in the slideout. We are very happy with our replacement and cost a little over $200. Welcome to the MOC and the wonderful world of Montana owners. Let us hear about your unit and all your adventures.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Parrothead; Thanks for the reply. I was out looking today and did find a Panasonic at Target for about 240 with speakers. But some of the players have speakers that you must use with there unit and not knowing what the quest unit uses is why I was asking. I would assume that the speaker connections are not a special plug and just wire that clips into a terminal on the back. I am looking forward to the new Montana but only about half as much as the wife is. She is dancing on the ceilings waitng for the new trailer. Happy Trails Al
Old 12-11-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am replacing mine this coming spring with a Bose dvd/cd player. Best part is the speakers are the same size so all I have to do is replace each cube, can even use the same wires. At the moment I am planning on putting the subwoofer under the desk. Wont really know for sure until I start tearing apart and installing the new system.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:15 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
The Sony unit we purchased had special connections for the speaker wires so we had to splice the wires to the speakers. Just be sure to mark carefully as you take the wires out of the Quest. After we got them hooked up, we checked each speaker to make sure we had them right. It didn't take long. Be sure and let us know when you get your Montana and then all your great adventures.
Happy trails............................
Old 12-12-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I belive that the new Montanas have a new version of the Quest, model 3000, maybe it's a case of third time lucky, so wait and see what you get, and how it performs before you jump into the market for a replacement.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:56 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
John
He is buying a used '05 and it probably has the old Quest unit in it. However I agree it is better to wait and see.
Happy trails...................
Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We have had our unit for 3 months (2955RL 2006)and have had it out 3 times, for a couple days each. The first time out I got ours to work. Since then all we can get out of it is AM/FM radio. It goes into the hospital next week to get a couple blinds replaced and exchange the DVD player. I don't know which model it is. That is what happens when it is in storage 7 miles from the house. From the info I have read here, sounds like we might be looking for a good replacement unit in the future. Any info is appreciated.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Dane
Established Member

M.O.C. #751
We replaced the Quest unit with a five speaker Audiovox home theater DVD/AM/FM player. We did not repalce the original speakers as they offer good sound quality. We simply integrated the Ausiovox DVD player in place of the Quest. Power specs were similar to the Quest unit. We bought this at Target. It offered a cheap solution (less than $100 as I recall) that we have been very satisfied with. CD music quality is fine. Most of the time, however, we enjoy our music using our iPod and a Bose Soundbox.. We can easily take it outside if needed. You can't beat Bose for sound quality.
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Thanks guys for some of your imput. The Montana that I am going to get is a 2005. The fella that has it only used it twice. He says it's cleaner than new and has added the second AC to the bedroom and a satelite dish. It's a 2955RL with King size bed and the one piece sink and counter top. Also has the moving to Montana pkg, value pkg, and the artic pkg. Was bought in 3/2005 and I am not sure which dvd player it has in it but if it's junk it will be tossed you can bet on that. I did also see that audiovox unit at Target. I also could'nt agree more about the bose sound systems. They are great. Happy Trails Al